Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Default The foot.

My buddy had a little accident a couple of weeks ago.
While trying to help a stranger he had a very heavy steel beam drop on his foot breaking all the long bones in his foot.

They flew him off to Grande Prairie to have the foot fixed up. So now he's stuck at home while the foot heals.

Now to fully appreciate this story you would have to know him, but to get you as close as I can, I'll give you a bit of background about him.

First, he is a very active outdoors type fellow. On top of his career in law enforcement he is also an avid hunter, trapper, fisherman, guide, and generally an all around great guy.
He also happens to be 6'2" tall and weighs about 240lb, not an ounce of which is fat. He's a big fellow, twice as tough as he looks and he looks like he should be wearing red checkered shirt and packing a double bladed axe.

So there he is, sitting at home, and he's bored stiff. So today he wrote this little story about his experiences so far.
In his words. With his permission.

the foot
OK , any one have a pill or a time machine ??? I am soooooo tired of doing nutin , I been out side a couple times but generally end up landing on my foot before crashing on my empty headed noggin or worst my favourite dog Daisy comes up to see me and I end up wacking her with a crutch Now she wont even come near me. The meat birds are all looking great and I can not believe how big the white turkeys have gotten. So here I am foot up in the air scratching my arms like crazy where the new hair is coming in. Oh right the arms ,,,, Forgot tell you about that part. See after watching those very kind ,skilled awesome nurses peeling the tape of my arms and place the tape on the table how ever it didnt look like tape ,,,, no it looked like a small piece of shag rug with my arm hair making up the shag. So I decided to shave my arms andthe back of my hands ,,,, I had no Idea it take that long to shave I must have dulled three blade before I removed that furry mess from my arms. So off I go back to the hospital all proud of my self cause me thinkin I smart sure enough another IV spot failed and they had to start another one I sat there smugly telling the Doc " Look these fine shaved arms no more hair in the tape " He laughed as he placed the tape on my upper arm where I had'nt even thought they would have placed an IV Yup right in the middle of forest of hair ...... That learn me next time I "Neet" every thing .... It been amazing what I have seen lately The changes in medicine are profound and we are truly lucky to live in the era an injury like the one I have 20 years ago would have been worst, One of the changes I wasnt aware they now they give you an epidural instead of putting you to la la land , Its the same thing they use on Soon to be Moms in the delivery room , Wonderful stuff , well thats what the DW told me... Any ways when they wheeled me in for my date with the surgeon that what I got.. Don't remember much till I place back in the my room, Pain was good the nurses took very good care of me. Any ways they explain how the freezing would leave my body and they could test with an ice cube to see how it was proceeding ... Now here the one little part they forgot to mention There an area that is the very last part to thaw. To us guys its a big deal I wont go in to detail because I dont want to offend any one but lets say I spent a nervous 45 minutes checking under the sheets to make sure they were still attached.... So for the next while I will be holding the couch down and watching horrible re runs and seeing how every ones feathered friends are doing via ACE So if your bored send me a e mail Your truly Hooppy
Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 PM

ACE banned me

The old biddies claimed the info I posted now belongs to them & wouldn't let me delete the info, nor would they do so.
They ban LOTS of people.

Needless to say, many have no respect for the site.

Sorry for your buddy though !
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Gone Hunting

I think I missed the thread you speak of.

Yeah my buddy is having a rough time, but I love his sense of humour despite the obvious pain of his experience.

That was why I asked him if I could post his story here, I think his way of telling it is hilarious. Some of the best comedy writing I have seen.

I suppose one would have to know him to see the humour in what he wrote though. He is the sort of fellow who would shrug off a knife wound that would send most of us to the hospital looking to get stitches.

To picture him peeking under the sheets to see if everything was still there is funny, but to imagine him shaving his arms is just not something I would not picture him doing.