Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 PM
rem300wsm

Default BF goodrich all terain tires

Just wondering if anybody is running these tires, whats your oppinions on tread life and on ice and any other thoughts on this tire.Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 PM

I have run these tires on a couple different trucks on my half ton gm they were great on ny 3/4 ton I did not like them at all in the winter found that they lacked traction just my experience
Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 PM

2nd set on my truck, love them year round!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Cool Bfg

I found that on a small truck say nissan D21 or toyota pick up sized trucks, these tires were awesome year round did really good in the snow, fairly decent on ice, but come on you will never get a good "ice tire" not unless you are running an ice racer but you cant take them on the road with 1" spikes in the tires as far as wear goes they wear very nicely, I cant remember how many km I got but it was more then 40 thousand. My only issue with the tire is when it was muddy out hunting, They did not do well they just gummed up with mud and that was it. I actually just put on the mud terrain KM2's to solve that problem.
winger7mm
Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Best tire that I have ever run,rotate every 12,000 km so they don't cup,you can get over 75,000 out of those aggressive mud terrains not a problem!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 PM

All Terrain T/A's are great tires as long as you do not put them under a diesel. I have had a few sets of these on past Toyota trucks and they were awesome tires. Great traction,not too noisy and they last a long time. I put a new set under a 6.4 Ford Super Duty and they were down to nothing within 10000kms and I did not abuse the truck and only hauled heavy loads a few times.

If you're looking for a 1/2 ton then I would recommend them. They will be going on my Z71 when the current tires are done.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 PM

Dont use them on light weight and medium sized trucks. They are 10 ply and are very stiff so will ruin your suspension. They are ideally matched to full sized trucks. I had the BF LT terrain tires and they were crap, wore out fast and one blew out halfway in it's life.

I run Revo's and they are awesome in the summer and ok in the winter but any "all" season tire is not designed for our winters (save a few exceptions with the snowflake symbol). I think everyone should get proper winter tires for the winter, a lot of accidents would be avoided.

The best place to check out what people really say about tires is tirerack.com
Old 06-20-2011, 10:09 PM

I ran them on my last 2 trucks, one a 3/4 ton gas, and the other a 3/4 ton diesel, always got around 100,000 km out of them, I had the Load rate D in the gas job but put the Load Rate E in the diesel, those are the 10 ply.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 AM

I've run these tires on a Excursion diesel, Gmc 2500 6.5 TD, Ford F 350 6.0, GMC Jimmy and I really think Im forgetting someone here but my only complaint is when the tire shop doesnt ask whites in or out. Out of course. For the price great tires.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
All Terrain T/A's are great tires as long as you do not put them under a diesel. I have had a few sets of these on past Toyota trucks and they were awesome tires. Great traction,not too noisy and they last a long time. I put a new set under a 6.4 Ford Super Duty and they were down to nothing within 10000kms and I did not abuse the truck and only hauled heavy loads a few times.

If you're looking for a 1/2 ton then I would recommend them. They will be going on my Z71 when the current tires are done.

X2, I bought a set for my 6.4 last summer, and they dissapeared in no time.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 AM

I have a set of Mud KM2's on my F150 and I really dislike them!! Just OK traction in the warm months but it the winter they are absolutely horrable! And are showing plenty of wear after just 12000kms, I got them dirt cheap so it counter balances them but will never get another set no matter how cheap.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 AM

They used to be my go to tire, but they haven't improved, while other tires have. I find that the Bridgestone Revos provide better all around traction, so I now use them on my pickup.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Dont use them on light weight and medium sized trucks. They are 10 ply and are very stiff so will ruin your suspension. They are ideally matched to full sized trucks. I had the BF LT terrain tires and they were crap, wore out fast and one blew out halfway in it's life.

I run Revo's and they are awesome in the summer and ok in the winter but any "all" season tire is not designed for our winters (save a few exceptions with the snowflake symbol). I think everyone should get proper winter tires for the winter, a lot of accidents would be avoided.

The best place to check out what people really say about tires is tirerack.com
You don't need a 10 ply on a 1/2 ton and BFG ATs come in a 6 ply with exact same tread depth as 10plys.
Lots of people stick 10 plys on 1/2 tons when you don't need them
Ran these on a Chevy 1/2 ton for last few years and loved them.pretty good winter traction when new like everything else.
Good wear and excellent off road in everything but deep mud.
One of my favorite AT tires.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Haha I run these on a 600 hp duramax and have gotten 30,000 and still have 50% and I do light em up from time to time, and haul a 8k trailer in the nevada heat a few times a year....

The problem with most people is they don't get the correct load rated tire, a D or C rated tire on a big heavy deisel is going to melt like butter. A E rated (like mine) will do the job like intended.

However a E rated on a 1/2 ton would be a rougher ride.... but it wouldn't wreck the suspension... lol

To be 100% honest, it is 10 times more important to get the correct load rated tire for your application, then what tread design it has. Too hard you'll have a rough ride and poor traction, too soft and it will wear quickly. You have to know the basics atleast.

BFG AT's are a older proven design, they have worked well for years, about the best mix between a mud-terrain and a all-season IMO.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 PM

I like them. Got alot of km's out of them as they were the tires that came with my truck. like 90,000 before I changed them out.

Smooth ride, pretty quiet on the highway and one of the most aggressive all season tires. Decent in winter too
Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 PM

Just don't buy them if you will be travelling on a lot of gravel, unless your employer pays for them. The edges of the tread lugs and siping get worn off badly in gravel and you lose alot of biting edge due to that and the life expectancy drops quickly. Great when new in winter on ice/snow but not as much winter traction when older and the rubber isn't so soft. Better for lighter units, tread tends to get squashed off with diesels on them.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 PM

Yeah I agree if you're driving on alot of gravel look into something different. I have them on my 4runner & love them. They also look great! My Dad drives alot of gravel & they didnt hold up that good.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
rem300wsm

[QUOTE=rem300wsm;983881]Just wondering if anybody is running these tires, whats your oppinions on tread life and on ice and any other thoughts on this tire.Thanks[/QUOTE

Ok they would be going under a 2500 dodge 5.7 extended cab. Any thoughts on this also.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post

Yup, couldn't agree more! Only got about 45000k out of a set on my 1 ton Ram. After the half way mark, they really sucked!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 PM

WORST TIRES EVER! I had a set of E rated BFG all terrains on my 3/4 ton Chevy and they were completely worn out after 12,000 km. Many people I know have tried them as well, all were worn out before they reached 20,000.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned

you need pirelli tires
Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
you need pirelli tires

Costco is stocking the Scorpions now but I have yet to read a good thing about them.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Costco is stocking the Scorpions now but I have yet to read a good thing about them.
They were going to be my choice but I do a bit more offroading than what they are meant for so went with the Revos. Also at that time, Costco wasn't stocking Pirelli's yet so they were a bit more of a pain to get.

http://www.1010tires.com/tires/revie...i/Scorpion+ATR
http://newsblaze.com/story/200810061.../topstory.html
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/f...rpion-ATR.html
http://www.jaxquickfit.com.au/pirelli-tops-offroad-tyre

Some of the reviews are a few years old now though, except the first one.