Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 PM

Default What are they eating?

Was down at the local trout pond tonight and picked up a few rainbows on scud patterns. All C&R. Just before dark the place came alive with rising trout. Tied on a #12 mosquito pattern, and caught a couple, but for the most part they ignored it. Was using a 5X fluorocarbon tippet, and they would rise literally 6 inches from my fly and not eat it? Whatever they were eating, it was small. Any ideas what they were up too? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:53 PM

It's backswimmer time on most still waters. Just like Christmas when you are a kid only a lot more fun.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:57 PM

Without being there no idea, rise forms or types can help you ID. If big splashy rise it's usually a food type that is moving fast. Dipping rises, (nose up and down gently) is usually a slow moving food. This time of year I would guess scuds moving up in the water column, or maybe leeches coming up. Could be a late midge hatch as well. Don't usually see trout rising like crazy this late in the year. Backswimmers are usually during the warmest part of the day.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Default what are they eating

They are slurping them off the surface like crazy. I just don't seem to be able to tell what they are. Not visable on the top.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 PM

Sounds like they are after emerging/adult chironomids. Do you see the fishes' mouths break the surface or only their backs?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 PM

I get action on the #12 mosquito quite alot, there are times during the day they just ignore it, When they do that i put on a 14-16 Elk Hair Caddis, They go for that like there is no tomorrow. had one today that attacked it right as it hit the water.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM

I'm thinking emerger/criple. A lot of small emerging bugs will get trapped in the surface film on stillwaters. The trout cruse and sip them off the surface. Something small
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 PM

Sounds like small adult midges returning to the water to lay their eggs. Trout are taking them while they dip their abdomens in the water, quite normal in the evenings closer to darkness.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Banned

Still a fair amount of midges coming off. Edit: of the Bow R.

Fish were going crazy at chain yesterday for black bibionids.

Last edited by BeeGuy; 09-04-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 PM

Haven't seen a midge around here for a while, did have good luck in May or June using a leech with a floating line when they were laying eggs though.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Sounds like small adult midges returning to the water to lay their eggs. Trout are taking them while they dip their abdomens in the water, quite normal in the evenings closer to darkness.
X2

It never hurts to have a small pair of binocs in your fishing vest to get a better look of what is going on.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
What would suggest as a good pattern to imitate those?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Sounds like they are after emerging/adult chironomids. Do you see the fishes' mouths break the surface or only their backs?
I just seem to see their backs as they surface. When they do take a dry fly, I cast to they when they come up, and they take it as soon as it hits the water.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Throat pump

Go buy a throat pump, go to the dollar store and get a small glass bottle 2-3 inches long 3/4 to 1 inch diameter. Pump the first fish you catch and you will have your answer. I always pump my first fish.
Columbia old guy
Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM

If you only see their backs, they are eating the emergers as they are trying to break the surface tension under the water. They will eat adults...but they are concentrating on the emerging pupa.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:27 PM

I did something I usually don't do, and kept a trout. When I opened it up, all I could find in it were about half a dozen snails?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 AM

Trout are opportunists and will try a variety of food choices at any given time. However at times when there is a specific prey item commonly available, they may become selective. Rises with just a back showing indicates to me they are eating an emerger. The picture is an example. Lots of colors and sizes of the bugs available...you just need to find out what works at your pond and how to best present it.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I did something I usually don't do, and kept a trout. When I opened it up, all I could find in it were about half a dozen snails?
I would say that is what the rise forms are that you were seeing, was out yesterday and saw lots of snails floating, it happens on occasion when lots of snails will pop to the surface.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Floating snail pattern...I don't have one of those in my box.
Does anybody fish this fly?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 AM

I've seen some patterns, but never fished it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
What would suggest as a good pattern to imitate those?
Griffiths gnat may work. it imitates a clump of emerging midges. Size 18 - 24

Also suspended midge pupae with foam, cdc or rabbit foot wing to suspend it.
I like balck body in 16 - 22's
Old 09-06-2013, 05:10 PM

Thanks for all the advise guys! Going to try them again tonight.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:36 PM

Belive it or not Ripley, in the evenings trout will corral hyalella shrimp near to the surface in shallow shoal water and then go on a feeding frenzy the same way dolphin push mullet up against a shoreline.

Tying short and fat halfbacks or any other peacock herl pattern with a foam back or underbody will work if you think the fish are targetting snails. My experiences have shown that fish will target them when snails are on their spawning migration just off the bottom when they are most vulnerable. This usually takes place late in the summer.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 PM

Went back tonight, and started with a size 14 Pickpocket. Trout were starting to rise. Caught a couple, then changed to a size 14 Scud, and caught one more. They really started rising, so I changed to a size 14 Backswimmer with some floatant on it. Bingo!! They were taking it on every cast. If I cast it to a rising fish, he usually had it with a couple of seconds. Probably the best surface action if ever had. If they missed it, another one would grab it. Thanks for helping me solve the puzzle everyone!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Went back tonight, and started with a size 14 Pickpocket. Trout were starting to rise. Caught a couple, then changed to a size 14 Scud, and caught one more. They really started rising, so I changed to a size 14 Backswimmer with some floatant on it. Bingo!! They were taking it on every cast. If I cast it to a rising fish, he usually had it with a couple of seconds. Probably the best surface action if ever had. If they missed it, another one would grab it. Thanks for helping me solve the puzzle everyone!
Everyone?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Trout have an unusual relationship with backswimmers. No matter what type of emerger they are after, they just can't resist a well presented swimmer. From August 15th on you should never leave home without them. I have several colors in many sizes and they all produce when you see fish just breaching with their back.

[IMG][/IMG]