Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 05:12 PM

Default Didn't know this about when handing in unwanted weapons and ammo to the government

My uncle (whos from Kelowna) gave me a big box full of individual boxes of 22 cal longs a couple weeks ago when he was here for christmas. He said he got 5 big boxes full of rifle, shotgun, handgun, and 22 ammo for free.

He got them from his friend who's wife works at some government place where people hand in unwanted guns and ammo. What i didn't know is the people who work at those places can and do take home all the ammo that is brought in and also take the scopes and optics that are on the rifles and take them home as well (my uncles friend says his wife gives him all kind of scopes, some worth $1000 +) I never knew they were allowed to do that, anyway thought that was interesting.

Last edited by fear 666; 01-11-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM

I know police keep quite a few for them as well instead of destroying em....
Old 01-11-2012, 06:06 PM

yeah, there was a case a while back where a recovered pistol used in a robbery had been traced back, and turned in for disposal many years previously.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 PM

Was a cop, in Calgary, who was buying turned in weapons, rather than taking them back to the office, for destruction. He was apparently disciplined, but I'm not sure what the end was. Made sense to me. The people got money for their guns and some potentially historically important pieces didn't end up in the smelter.

Grizz
Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 PM

I don't understand the title; what's an unwanted weapon (presumably firearm) or ammunition?

I'm confused.

Remington 710/770's?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I don't understand the title; what's an unwanted weapon (presumably firearm) or ammunition?

I'm confused.

Remington 710/770's?
You get confused easy then because l don't know what you're confused about lol. Unwanted weapons, guess l should of used a more correct term (firearms), guns/rifles/handguns and ammo.

Last edited by fear 666; 01-11-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:

I'm confused.
I think they mean if someone dies and you inherit firearms and do not want them, you can turn them in to the police (instead of selling them on here!).
Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 PM

I can tell you thats not how these "unwanted" firearms and ammo is handled in WA. If the Crime lab don't want them unfortunately they will get turned into scrap.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:

I'm confused.

Remington 710/770's?
I understand your confusion.

Some would say an unwanted weapon is a Weatherby, others call it Ruger, or a Tikka....

I know a few Officers who often have ammo in the field that came from the PS firearm/ammo holding facility. IMO, Nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Ahh, at least Buff was following me. I was feigning how it's incomprehensible that a firearm or ammo could be unwanted or unloved. Even if the person in possession of them doesn't want them there's a line of people who do. Sell them to collectors, get the cash.

For those anti types who would rather turn them for the perverse satisfaction they would get from ensuring they're destroyed, it's akin to book-burning. You've not prevented anything. You've just destroyed a potential collectors piece. For every firearm destroyed, that's simply freed up collectors money that would have bought that piece into money with which they can buy a new piece; this ensuring the manufacture of replacement firearms. It's like someone that doesn't like guitar music breaking a vintage Martin, Les Paul, Gibson or Fender. You took an active hand in a travesty. New ones can be made for certain, but the vintage quality pieces will always have special value.

And I seriously doubt that police adding to their collections from surrendered weapons would be allowed. Certainly it may happen on occasion, but I would bet it's an offense that would be disciplined if discovered.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-12-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear 666 View Post
My uncle (whos from Kelowna) gave me a big box full of individual boxes of 22 cal longs a couple weeks ago when he was here for christmas. He said he got 5 big boxes full of rifle, shotgun, handgun, and 22 ammo for free.

He got them from his friend who's wife works at some government place where people hand in unwanted guns and ammo. What i didn't know is the people who work at those places can and do take home all the ammo that is brought in and also take the scopes and optics that are on the rifles and take them home as well (my uncles friend says his wife gives him all kind of scopes, some worth $1000 +) I never knew they were allowed to do that, anyway thought that was interesting.
Well they may be taking some home, but I can guarantee it isn't done legally. No government department just lets people "take stuff home". Certainly not items worth a lot of money. Someone in your chain has their story confused. Sounds like your typical "I have a friend who has a friend who swears that..."
Old 01-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Well they may be taking some home, but I can guarantee it isn't done legally. No government department just lets people "take stuff home". Certainly not items worth a lot of money. Someone in your chain has their story confused. Sounds like your typical "I have a friend who has a friend who swears that..."
I without a doubt believe it possible.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
That's why l was surprised and made this thread. Anyway all that ammo came from somewhere and l know he didn't buy it all and this seems to not be new news from some of the posts above.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:20 PM

Default Urban legends?

When I was a kid before I was of legal age of 21, police would confiscate our liquor and beer without a charge or paperwork, even when they found it in the trunk. The legend was that if there was no paperwork they would have their own little party at our expense. Anyone heard that one before?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:10 PM

I used to live in Kelowna and know that there is some shady stuff goes on there. One customer at a sporting goods store in Kelowna noticed a unique gun on the shelf, looked like one he had turned in, went home got his receipt from the RCMP for said weapon and surprise, the serial numbers matched the store owner called the RCMP and they said he has the receipt for it, therefore it's his gun give it to him. Also I had a family member commit suicide 3 years ago with one of his guns, the police confiscated that (8mm Mauser) and another shotgun (Winchester Hammerless 12 Ga) and before we could request them back, they were "destroyed". Three months later those exact guns (the registration stickers peeled off) showed up as a private sale to one of the guys my Dad has coffee with every morning . That detachment is terrible and yes they do keep the scopes and furniture or anything of value off turned in guns, my old bosses wife used to work at the RCMP station there and he was the recipient of many such things. It's not just happening there, they are the largest organized crime ring in Canada.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 PM

Please...they sell confiscated cars etc at auction, bikes etc... why would they not sell firearms that are given over as unwanted. The customer who went and got his reciept from the RCMP claimed he had a reciept so it was his? I must be misunderstanding something. that only proves he turned it over to the RCMP, it would not mean he held any legal claim to it.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Please...they sell confiscated cars etc at auction, bikes etc... why would they not sell firearms that are given over as unwanted. The customer who went and got his reciept from the RCMP claimed he had a reciept so it was his? I must be misunderstanding something. that only proves he turned it over to the RCMP, it would not mean he held any legal claim to it.
It must vary from detachment to detachment then.Talking to a RCMP member here in central Alberta the other day at the range, he stated they destroyed every firearm turned in or confiacated,they wont even give the scopes back off of a confiscated fire arm
Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM

to be clear, i have no idea what they do or dont do. i have heard of "police auctions" where vehicles and such are sold but i could easily be wrong. I was reacting to the posts pretending it would be criminal somehow for a turned in firearm or ammunition, to be used or sold to someone to be used through the same type of venue. unless someone can post some law saying these items must be destroyed....comparing this to organized crime is ridiculous.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 PM

They should be able to sell turned in/ confinscated fire arms. The force could use the money for equipment or staffing. But they dont,maybe Huntinstuff will kick in,he might know the legalities
Old 01-14-2012, 07:08 PM

yeah, i would agree with that. i just got the feeling that this thread was another bash the rcmp blah blah blah.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:28 PM

I dont know if its law or just policy,but i dont think they can keep or sell firearms aquired this way
Its a shame really as some nice old pieces get turned in
Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory3006 View Post
I used to live in Kelowna and know that there is some shady stuff goes on there. One customer at a sporting goods store in Kelowna noticed a unique gun on the shelf, looked like one he had turned in, went home got his receipt from the RCMP for said weapon and surprise, the serial numbers matched the store owner called the RCMP and they said he has the receipt for it, therefore it's his gun give it to him. Also I had a family member commit suicide 3 years ago with one of his guns, the police confiscated that (8mm Mauser) and another shotgun (Winchester Hammerless 12 Ga) and before we could request them back, they were "destroyed". Three months later those exact guns (the registration stickers peeled off) showed up as a private sale to one of the guys my Dad has coffee with every morning . That detachment is terrible and yes they do keep the scopes and furniture or anything of value off turned in guns, my old bosses wife used to work at the RCMP station there and he was the recipient of many such things. It's not just happening there, they are the largest organized crime ring in Canada.
Have you made a written complaint anywhere? (obviously not to the Kelowna detachment)

If not, why not may I ask?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
It must vary from detachment to detachment then.Talking to a RCMP member here in central Alberta the other day at the range, he stated they destroyed every firearm turned in or confiacated,they wont even give the scopes back off of a confiscated fire arm
To be clear they do destroy the guns as well at these hand in locations, no guns are taken or resold. From what my uncle said they bend the gun barrels and recycle the metal and wooden parts. He said the people working at those hand in locations can only take the ammo and scopes (whether they need a PAL or if higher ups know about it, not sure) but no guns leave there to be resold or whatever, they only head to the scrapper.

Last edited by fear 666; 01-15-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 AM

The Officer I talked to said even scopes are destroyed,they allow nothing to leave the Detachment
Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 PM

It was a freind of mines job at the local valve shop to cut seized/turned in weapons in half under the supervision of a RCMP officer.

He said it sucked to have to put a nice rifle under the saw.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
They should be able to sell turned in/ confinscated fire arms. The force could use the money for equipment or staffing. But they dont,maybe Huntinstuff will kick in,he might know the legalities
If something is turned in for destruction, it gets destroyed in its entirety

I often offer the person turning in a firearm to donate it to AHEIA. Most of the time, it happens.

But I recall many dozens of fine rifles being turned in and destroyed during the mid 90's.

If someone turns in a gun to the cops and asks it be destroyed, that is final. If a cop takes a scope or something from that item, it is theft.

I dont try to talk someone out of destroying a firearm. I simply offer them the option of donating it to AHEIA for the purposes of firearms safety training. If they want it destroyed, it is documented, the person retains a copy, and the firearm goes to property control, then gets cut up. CFC notified and the firearm is shown as destroyed.

I cant remember how many firearms I have obtained for AHEIA this way. Dozens. I have also brought pail fulls of ammo for them to deactivate and use for training.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 PM

Years ago I knew the head RCMP in my town he knew my Dad and knew we shot a lot. I got a phone call one day and he told me to come in for a coffee. When I got there he said that a lady's husband had passed and she turned in his ammo...it needed to be disposed of. So he handed me a large box and says...there now it is disposed of

LC
Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
If something is turned in for destruction, it gets destroyed in its entirety

I often offer the person turning in a firearm to donate it to AHEIA. Most of the time, it happens.

But I recall many dozens of fine rifles being turned in and destroyed during the mid 90's.

If someone turns in a gun to the cops and asks it be destroyed, that is final. If a cop takes a scope or something from that item, it is theft.

I dont try to talk someone out of destroying a firearm. I simply offer them the option of donating it to AHEIA for the purposes of firearms safety training. If they want it destroyed, it is documented, the person retains a copy, and the firearm goes to property control, then gets cut up. CFC notified and the firearm is shown as destroyed.

I cant remember how many firearms I have obtained for AHEIA this way. Dozens. I have also brought pail fulls of ammo for them to deactivate and use for training.
Thxs Randy

Wondered when you might stop in for a comment.

Its too bad that some of these firearms could not be sold.
I am sure the Police services could use the coin for different enforment / training programs

What about a legally confinscated firearm, does the owner have the right to sell the firearm or ask for scopes ect back ?

Ian
Old 01-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Thxs Randy

Wondered when you might stop in for a comment.

Its too bad that some of these firearms could not be sold.
I am sure the Police services could use the coin for different enforment / training programs

What about a legally confinscated firearm, does the owner have the right to sell the firearm or ask for scopes ect back ?

Ian
Legally confiscated as evidence? Destroyed if person found guilty

If found not guilty, he or a licensed person can apply to get them back

We sell found property, vehicles, misc junk and bikes. We do not sell firearms.

Seems weird that we destroy the valuable items and sell the crap. Its ass backward but consider the "liberal political" aspect and you see why.

Police selling guns to the public, oh the horror. What if the buyer shoots her husband with a gun she bought at a police auction?

Yeah, well what if she drove drunk in a car she bought at a police auction?

What if she threw the toaster she bought at the police auction into the tub while her husband was bathing?

We have too many perpetual hand wringing cowards around to ever be able to sell firearms at a police auction. Its a shame.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:13 PM

You make good points,its just a shame to see some of these old pieces destroyed.

Yes it is azz backwords