Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2016, 03:40 PM

Default closing cost for an acreage purchase?

If one buys a house on an acreage what sort of bill can be run up for closing costs? What have people on here been billed for?
Old 03-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
If one buys a house on an acreage what sort of bill can be run up for closing costs? What have people on here been billed for?
No different than buying a house in the city
Old 03-22-2016, 04:41 PM

finally pulling the trigger?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-22-2016, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich View Post
No different than buying a house in the city
You nailed it..Lawyer, tax adjustment, etc.. The only thing you have to really watch is if your utilities are paid for or not. Some may be on a payment schedule. I'm talking installation costs.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
You nailed it..Lawyer, tax adjustment, etc.. The only thing you have to really watch is if your utilities are paid for or not. Some may be on a payment schedule. I'm talking installation costs.
X's two. Some people get their utilities over 25 years. Get owner to pay out. Other wise it is same as city purchase!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:10 PM

About $700 is what I paid.
WDF
Old 03-23-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
finally pulling the trigger?

Probably more like taking the safety off and scoping the field, there is some more compelling value in some listings these last couple weeks.

Probably safe to say a 5k closing fund should provide lots of buffer room? How much of a mine field is closing a deal?
Old 03-23-2016, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Probably more like taking the safety off and scoping the field, there is some more compelling value in some listings these last couple weeks.

Probably safe to say a 5k closing fund should provide lots of buffer room? How much of a mine field is closing a deal?

I would say the two big ones will be the tax adjustment and lawyers fees. Depending on what time of year and total tax bill will dictate your adjustment.

As above previously posted with power, gas telephone etc.. Also make sure everything that stays is in the real estate contract. For example sheds on skids, firewood blah blah. Everything should be itemized meticulously.

Anything like rightaways, caveats etc. should be explained by your lawyer and dealt with by him/her. Should be a piece of cake.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I believe the lender can impose additional inspections, and it is common for them to request an inspection on your well & septic systems if applicable. I was fortunate when I purchased my property and this was not requested.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Smile There can be lots of surprises

The septic and well are 2 for sure, a RPR to make sure all the buildings are where they should be, outstanding issues with the county can be a shock. Buildings/ renovations with no permits.

If you have a lawyer experienced in dealing with the county that would ease my mind a lot.

Like everything else be very careful.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Banned

Densa hit on the 2 biggest ones, septic and well. Make sure you get them inspected
Old 03-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
The septic and well are 2 for sure, a RPR to make sure all the buildings are where they should be, outstanding issues with the county can be a shock. Buildings/ renovations with no permits.

If you have a lawyer experienced in dealing with the county that would ease my mind a lot.

Like everything else be very careful.

Hmmm, sounds tedious. Generally not too many issues though?