Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 07:57 AM

Default Is the river frozen at Nordegg?

Would like to do some snowmobiling out there on the river. Does that section of the river freeze solid? I was on the Pembina last year, it was froze pretty good, with the odd wet area that was pretty obvious.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlester View Post
Would like to do some snowmobiling out there on the river. Does that section of the river freeze solid? I was on the Pembina last year, it was froze pretty good, with the odd wet area that was pretty obvious.
There are far better(safer) places in the Nordegg area to snowmachine than the river.

BW
Old 02-18-2019, 08:18 AM

That does concern me and is why I'm researching.

The reason I want to go out there, is to chainsaw a logjam apart that nearly killed my son and I last summer while canoeing.

Years ago the authorities used to blowup logjams, but not anymore. I was pleased with the work the rescue teams did to get us out, but troubled by their statements such as "oh, there were three rescues there last year."

I don't want anyone else to go through what we did. We were very lucky to survive, and there was no way to see what was coming.

Go here to see what happened, watch part 2 as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqG1bnBB5cw
Old 02-18-2019, 08:35 AM

The effort may be futile with spring runoff ahead of us. Log jams and sweepers are dangerous for sure but reading the river far ahead of you is key. Glad you guys came out of it ok, some don’t.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
There are far better(safer) places in the Nordegg area to snowmachine than the river.

BW
Water flows are determined by the Big Horn dam and power demands, not a good idea.

Grizz
Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
The effort may be futile with spring runoff ahead of us. Log jams and sweepers are dangerous for sure but reading the river far ahead of you is key. Glad you guys came out of it ok, some don’t.
Thanks for the kind words, doing my best to warn folks of that section of river.

Regarding watching the river ahead, that is one thing the film doesn't show is how sudden this showed up (around a corner), the speed of the river at that point, and how wide the jam was.

About a mile earlier, the Bighorn river joined up, and then the river split 4 ways. At that point, the 4 new channels all looked the same. We took the right channel. In the end three out of four channels were blocked, only the left channel was clear. I found this out a week later (I'll explain this in a bit).

So, everything was bliss at this point. Our paddles had been hitting bottom since we started. Channel was about 70 feet wide. All of a sudden, the river takes a sharp left, picks up serious speed, and widens out to about 300 feet. No big deal, just another bend in the river. No. The whole 300 feet was logs, with the biggest jam on the right side, which is where the current takes you. Can't stop, or turn around (speed) or go to shore. I was so stunned at what I was looking at because the second I saw it, I knew we were screwed! First we had a sweeper to deal with that came off the right bank (which was a 6 foot sheer wall) so we paddled like crazy to try to get away from it, but it was only 2 feet off the water so on impact we broke the branches off with our shoulders and arms. My son was steering and thank God he straightened us out and we hit the logjam straight on and even started to go on top of the logs. I thought we were fine, but the canoe slipped backwards and then dumped sideways and the rest is history.

It was a miracle we got out of the water as the suction was incredible, and you could not touch the bottom. We lost the canoe and pretty much all of our gear.

Anyways, this is a pretty sensitive topic for me as we definitely had some PTSD to deal with for quite some time. I honestly did not sleep for two weeks and was like a walking zombie. My wife was really worried until I started to sleep somewhat, and I still get the odd sleepless night. My son took it better than me, but I felt guilty about the whole thing as I got him into canoeing. We damn near died, the film does reflect our feelings on that. I had to shut down the comments on my YouTube channel as some people were accusing us of being inexperienced idiots (you guys are not doing that) and that we didn't know what we were doing (you should have done this, should have done that, should have joined a club blah blah) and should not be operating a canoe. When you've been through something tragic, you don't need to hear a lecture.

So a week later, a friend calls me after he saw me interviewed about it on the news. He was apologizing big time for not warning me about that part of the river. We had talked months earlier and when he heard of our plans to start at Bighorn, rather than the Hwy 40 bridge, him and his buddies wanted to do the same in their kayaks.

Him and his buddies ran that stretch (4 kayaks, 4 guys) two weeks before us. When the river split 4 ways, 2 guys took the far left channel, 2 guys took the far right. When the river rejoined, an empty kayak floated out of the right channel to the 2 guys coming from the left channel. So one of the right channel guys got caught in logs and the other guy had to rescue him. Took a half hour or so for the one guy to rescue the other. They both took the single man kayak to meet up with the other two guys. With all four kayaks back, nobody was hurt so they continued on and got caught in ANOTHER logjam shortly after. This took about an hour to rescue one guy and they were all totally exhausted. The rest of their trip to Edmonton was flawless and never had an issue. This has been my experience in the past, but nobody should ever start at Bighorn.

Sorry for the long post, but this is just too personal for me to not do anything. I really would like to at least go out and cut the logs into shorter lengths, and cut off all the branches so come springtime they can float away. That logjam has been there for years, it does change somewhat, but the part we were on seems to grow every year.

I understand the hazards and if it is truly not safe to sled on that river, I won't bother.

I still have the phone number of the Fish and Wildlife officer that helped us so I might call him, he lives in Nordegg. He is a SUPER guy by the way, very thankful for his professionalism and encouragement.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 AM

I see you were just around the bighorn river. I find 3 to 5 canoes a year all within a 1/4mile of that spot. Only a short way down stream the logs get less. Always log jams on this section of the river. Happy you are safe. The best way to clear the logs is in the summer with a jet boat. The river does not freeze untill way down steam of the trunk road. In fact this year it is still not frozen over at Rocky.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 AM

Aaron is absolutely a great guy. If anyone has a problem with him, they deserve it.

I paddled that stretch of river once many moons ago and I won't again. Simply isn't worth it. That stretch is famous for crazy logjams and sweepers/streamers.

However be careful about cutting out sweepers and streamers. DFO doesn't look kindly at it as they are key fish habitat makers.

Lastly I'd encourage you to invest in proper dry bags, rescue ropes and the such. Makes a world of difference. I also always carry a waterproof survival kit in my PFD.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, doing my best to warn folks of that section of river.

Regarding watching the river ahead, that is one thing the film doesn't show is how sudden this showed up (around a corner), the speed of the river at that point, and how wide the jam was.

About a mile earlier, the Bighorn river joined up, and then the river split 4 ways. At that point, the 4 new channels all looked the same. We took the right channel. In the end three out of four channels were blocked, only the left channel was clear. I found this out a week later (I'll explain this in a bit).

So, everything was bliss at this point. Our paddles had been hitting bottom since we started. Channel was about 70 feet wide. All of a sudden, the river takes a sharp left, picks up serious speed, and widens out to about 300 feet. No big deal, just another bend in the river. No. The whole 300 feet was logs, with the biggest jam on the right side, which is where the current takes you. Can't stop, or turn around (speed) or go to shore. I was so stunned at what I was looking at because the second I saw it, I knew we were screwed! First we had a sweeper to deal with that came off the right bank (which was a 6 foot sheer wall) so we paddled like crazy to try to get away from it, but it was only 2 feet off the water so on impact we broke the branches off with our shoulders and arms. My son was steering and thank God he straightened us out and we hit the logjam straight on and even started to go on top of the logs. I thought we were fine, but the canoe slipped backwards and then dumped sideways and the rest is history.

It was a miracle we got out of the water as the suction was incredible, and you could not touch the bottom. We lost the canoe and pretty much all of our gear.

Anyways, this is a pretty sensitive topic for me as we definitely had some PTSD to deal with for quite some time. I honestly did not sleep for two weeks and was like a walking zombie. My wife was really worried until I started to sleep somewhat, and I still get the odd sleepless night. My son took it better than me, but I felt guilty about the whole thing as I got him into canoeing. We damn near died, the film does reflect our feelings on that. I had to shut down the comments on my YouTube channel as some people were accusing us of being inexperienced idiots (you guys are not doing that) and that we didn't know what we were doing (you should have done this, should have done that, should have joined a club blah blah) and should not be operating a canoe. When you've been through something tragic, you don't need to hear a lecture.

So a week later, a friend calls me after he saw me interviewed about it on the news. He was apologizing big time for not warning me about that part of the river. We had talked months earlier and when he heard of our plans to start at Bighorn, rather than the Hwy 40 bridge, him and his buddies wanted to do the same in their kayaks.

Him and his buddies ran that stretch (4 kayaks, 4 guys) two weeks before us. When the river split 4 ways, 2 guys took the far left channel, 2 guys took the far right. When the river rejoined, an empty kayak floated out of the right channel to the 2 guys coming from the left channel. So one of the right channel guys got caught in logs and the other guy had to rescue him. Took a half hour or so for the one guy to rescue the other. They both took the single man kayak to meet up with the other two guys. With all four kayaks back, nobody was hurt so they continued on and got caught in ANOTHER logjam shortly after. This took about an hour to rescue one guy and they were all totally exhausted. The rest of their trip to Edmonton was flawless and never had an issue. This has been my experience in the past, but nobody should ever start at Bighorn.

Sorry for the long post, but this is just too personal for me to not do anything. I really would like to at least go out and cut the logs into shorter lengths, and cut off all the branches so come springtime they can float away. That logjam has been there for years, it does change somewhat, but the part we were on seems to grow every year.

I understand the hazards and if it is truly not safe to sled on that river, I won't bother.

I still have the phone number of the Fish and Wildlife officer that helped us so I might call him, he lives in Nordegg. He is a SUPER guy by the way, very thankful for his professionalism and encouragement.
WOW!
Thanks for sharing your story. I now understand your need to go on the river at this time of year. You survived one mishap please don’t chance another. Like someone said go back with a jet boat and take care of what you can.

BW
Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Maybe instead of clearing it, put up a sign? I know some will likely disregard it, but clearing it sounds kind of dangerous and futile.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
That does concern me and is why I'm researching.

The reason I want to go out there, is to chainsaw a logjam apart that nearly killed my son and I last summer while canoeing.

Years ago the authorities used to blowup logjams, but not anymore. I was pleased with the work the rescue teams did to get us out, but troubled by their statements such as "oh, there were three rescues there last year."

I don't want anyone else to go through what we did. We were very lucky to survive, and there was no way to see what was coming.

Go here to see what happened, watch part 2 as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqG1bnBB5cw
Wow great video thanks for sharing! Glad you guys mader
Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM

I’m a bit confused though. In your video the screen shot shows you on the NSR near chambers creek east of nordegg. But your asking about the clearing logs on the nordegg River?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:13 PM

Glad it turned out positive for you and your Son. My advice is forget about travelling the River in the Winter. You would be at great risk.

As far as cleaning up the log jam, I jetboat that river lots in the Spring, Summer and Fall. The River changes constantly so what might be there now may or may not be by next year or next month.

I hope you continue to run the river, it is a very beautiful trip.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:23 PM

I disagree. I think it’s going to keep getting worse.
Last big runoff from bighorn river probably left a huge sand bar and some trees got caught. Trees will just keep on jamming up.

Best to get it gone now and maybe a nice flush will get rid of the sandbar.

Crappy way of doing it, but find out who the MLA of that stretch is and make them aware of it in writing. No one will want to say that they are aware of it and not do some kind of due diligence.
They are the only ones that would be able to send resources to remove the jam or shut down the launch above it.

I love that river as well but I always start at the FTR bridge. Too sketchy above it.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:18 PM

Thx for posting RJ.

I know that we'll scout things out from by bush plane and GPS way-points before doing that run.

Same thing when we do the Peace River.

Glad things worked fore sure.

Definitely an eye opener.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
I disagree. I think it’s going to keep getting worse.
Last big runoff from bighorn river probably left a huge sand bar and some trees got caught. Trees will just keep on jamming up.

Best to get it gone now and maybe a nice flush will get rid of the sandbar.

Crappy way of doing it, but find out who the MLA of that stretch is and make them aware of it in writing. No one will want to say that they are aware of it and not do some kind of due diligence.
They are the only ones that would be able to send resources to remove the jam or shut down the launch above it.

I love that river as well but I always start at the FTR bridge. Too sketchy above it.

The channels changes constantly. There are no certainty's on which new channel will be the main flow. The river is too braided.

I don't think Jason Nixon's priority right now is getting a few naturally placed trees removed from the river.

The fact the dam fluctuates flow also enters into what transpires downstream of the dam from day to day and hour to hour.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Banned

Signage is the best idea..
Glad all turned out. Adventure you will not soon forget.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:34 PM

Thanks again guys, it is still somewhat surreal, and I have not watched that film myself for a long time. One other thing that was real odd was the trip home, empty handed with no canoe on the vehicle, no supplies, and no good stories to tell. Lost over 25 years of camping gear, and also lost my drone and gopros. As a filmmaker those are tough to go without. If we didn't have a couple of insurance claims in the previous year, I would have put in a claim but I'm sick of dealing with that business and our insurance payments have inflated as it is.

I'm not actively shopping for a canoe, but if a good deal comes up, I will get another 17 footer. Hopefully kevlar. My son agrees we have to "get back on the horse" again. Makes my wife nervous, but she understands. I've been in a canoe since I was a toddler.

I've definitely abandoned the idea of sledding out there to clear the jam. Thanks everyone for your honesty regarding the danger of that river, even in the winter. It's really too bad there is no signage about those logjams. We were half way between the dam, and the hwy 40 bridge just to clarify the location. I think blowing up a logjam to save human lives is much more important than the fish habitat in that area. Don't get me wrong, I love fishing and want to keep our waters protected but we have to use common sense here.

Someone will die, it is just a matter of time.

I wish I owned a jetboat, but if anyone was there at the time, it would have been dangerous to hook up to some of those logs. The RCMP boat had a hard time navigating the short distance from picking us up to the FTR bridge. That boat ride was scarier than floating in the canoe, and I have my own inboard/outboard so I knew how crazy that ride was.

The river does change from year to year, and the google earth image is way out of date. I do suspect that our logjam was there at least three years though. I agree with you Map Maker, that logjam is only getting bigger all the time.

I was really hoping it would have been frozen solid, as it would have been easy to cut those logs up, cut off the rootballs and branches, then springtime would wash them away.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the story RJ. Really unfortunate that happened to you, I hope your out canoeing again if that is what you want to do. I know when I used to canoe (super easy stuff like the Milk River) there were maps and books available with possible issues on each reach of river.. Maybe you can reach out to a publisher to get your information added? I know on the Elk River major log jams are tracked and shared publicly, dispute this there are river floaters every year walking home on the highway because they got sucked into one.

There are inherent risks for any outdoor activity. For me with skiing its getting caught in an avalanche or a tree well. Cant imagine being stuck in an avalanche not knowing how or if your going to get out, similar to you being sucked into the log jam. You can only prepare so much for such situations and other than not going out there is no way to reduce risk 100%.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:59 AM
Banned

Not to diminish the effort of the OP.

I’m glad you made it through. You lost some equipment. No big deal.
You and your son are safe, and that’s what is most important.

I would like to ask, why you feel that the clearing of the logjam is your responsibility?

I get the need to clear it so no one else encounters this or possibly losing their life.

Isn’t this better handled by Environment and Parks?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:58 AM

Husty, that is a really good idea, I actually emailed Mark Lund several years ago who wrote this book:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5041-9...rs-2nd-Edition

That book only has about a two sentence paragraph about that stretch of river, and if I remember it correctly, all it said was to watch for logs. Nothing real specific or any stats on how many rescues there are every year.

I will definitely contact Mark again.

Etowncanuck, you have a good point there. You have read my mind, I do feel responsible to do something because seemingly, nobody else wants to. The rescuers telling me "there were three rescues last year" and "did you want us to recover your stuff?" really threw me off as there was no mention of them wanting to do anything about that logjam.

That's not to say, maybe they do have plans to do something about it or decided later on to have it cleared. To put my mind at ease, I think I will call Aaron (F & W office from Nordegg) and see what he says.

For sure, Environment and Parks should be contacted. I actually have a meeting on March 5th at the Alberta Environment office in Spruce Grove regarding the lakes in my area. There is a government rep that works there and will be in attendance. He is also an avid canoeist and has canoed that river (starting at Nordegg) over 30 times. Definitely I will mention this to him and see what he says.

Good tips guys, thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 02:31 PM

north sask river was wide open on monday just east of where the ram river enters zero ice only slush flowing down river
Old 02-20-2019, 04:33 PM

Why temp fate twice trying to clear an never ending log jam. Next spring, it will be back in a different configuration.

One of my good friends had a similar incident on a different river but same scenario. Tubing, come around a sharp turn, log jam, no where to go. Daughter and him go in, daughter under the logs, he has death grip on her life jacket, can't budge her in the current and watching her under water. Grace of god, flow changes like it always does in a log jam and he pulls her free before anything bad happens.

Years and years ago, family get together on the Wildhay. Group goes up to canoe back down to the campground. Same thing, crazy log sweepers and undercut banks no one expected. A couple canoes capsized but with no real issues other than the gear we saw float past and no people coming. Lucky.

Back in the day, i and the GF went for a sled ride on Lac Nanone during a break in Ice fishing. We found a spring in the lake that all the locals knew about. I got us out of the water & thanks to some awesome local help, we got back to the trucks and the one sled out too. When I asked the local guys why no signage? Word was whoever puts up the sign, can be liable if something happens. No clue if that is true but a sign would have kept us dry and safe. I would check with someone in the legal profession if the liability issue could come back to bite you.

Find a friend with one or rent a guy with a river boat an go back and sign the banks for 1/4 km before the log jam to warn others is the best you can do Imo. Get on some canoeing AB sites and make some posts about that stretch. At least you will have done what you can.

Watching your video is a scary lesson to all. Very glad you and your son only lost gear. Been there in a similar situation when we went through the ice. Know exactly how you feel in that video. Take care, thanks for posting.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM

There is paddle Alberta web site you can probably get some up to date information on the conditions of the stretch of river you want to do.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post

When I asked the local guys why no signage? Word was whoever puts up the sign, can be liable if something happens. No clue if that is true but a sign would have kept us dry and safe. I would check with someone in the legal profession if the liability issue could come back to bite you.
Yep, thats what i understood as well. Kinda like if you have an open excavation, and you put signs up. You have to put barriers up.

I was on a committee long ago that had to deal with exact same situation. Inflowing river brought in a sand bar and some trees got caught. Of course, everyone said signs and it will clear itself. 2 years later, the small problem became a huge job cuz the trees were like a beaver dam. Huge expense.

I looked at google earth and can see that the Big Horn river junction was caused by the huge flooding a few years ago. Hit up the MLA cuz he probably still access flood repair funds (k-country still is ) and i think its Ottawa's money.

I think its useless talking to the field workers. They cant spend budget money. Their bosses will just say that they knew nothing about it cuz nothings in writing. But you go to a MLA in public eye, he'll make one phone call and problem will be gone.

IMO
Old 02-22-2019, 07:29 AM

Me and my brother used to kayak that stretch of the river. We would hide our dirt bikes in the bush by the forestry trunk bridge and drive up to the dam. It was an awesome time, it would take us about 3-4 hours, that includes a stop to cast a line and catch a brown trout or two. When we got to the bridge I would hop on my dirt bike “ it’s road legal” and go back for the truck. We would make a weekend of it kayak, fishing, dirt biking maybe squeeze a little hunting in there if we went in the Fall.

I seen the video and it’s dam spooky... maybe instead of going back there and putting up signs just post the gps coordinates or even a google map pin drop?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 AM

I just phoned Jim, he is the federal yellowhead parliament guy rep, feel free to contact if anybody wished to do so, about the log jam.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Parliament...Eglinski(48292)

Now to contact the provincial guy, if enough people tell the powers to do, then when someone dies in this log jam they will be the ones to ask why nothing was done.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:49 PM

Nimrod, thank you! I'm going to send Jim an email right away.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:50 PM

Earlier today, I received an excellent phone call from Jim Eglinski. He totally understands the situation and even mentioned about his own experience with rivers and log jams. We spoke at length about how to remove log jams with the right type and size of boat and he absolutely knows what he is talking about.

Only issue is he has to pass this over to Jason Nixon, the MLA for that area as according to Jim, the river is the responsibility of the Provincial Government, not Federal.

Jim also said that in the end it is up to the rescue groups based out of Rocky that should be taking care of the problem.

While there is no action on this yet, it was definitely a step in the right direction and absolutely a positive response to what I was asking for.

If I don't hear from Jason Nixon in the next couple of weeks, I will follow up with Jim via email.

I will be sure to keep everyone up to date as I get more information. Thanks again guys! I don't feel so helpless anymore.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Thx for posting RJ.

I know that we'll scout things out from by bush plane and GPS way-points before doing that run.

Same thing when we do the Peace River.

Glad things worked fore sure.

Definitely an eye opener.
Kudos to the OP. I've canoed the Peace River many times over many years and never had any issues with logjams from Dunvegan to the Vermillion Chutes. Are you talking about upstream areas in BC?