Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Banned

Default Mahindra Roxor Offroad

I just saw a commercial on tv about a pretty cool off-road vehicle. It looks like a cross of an old model military Jeep and a SxS atv. I’m not sure if there’s any advantage to owning something like this except maybe it’s street legal. I wonder what they cost. Has anyone seen one or know any more about them?

https://www.roxoroffroad.com
Old 02-16-2019, 04:43 PM

Cycle Works in Red Deer and Calgary are listed as Dealers.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Banned

$25K

https://www.calgarycycleworks.com/de...=xNewInventory
Old 02-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

Default Stupid Talk

ultimate hunt. Even the keenest future trophy won’t know you’re there. Start with the right camo wrap – RealTree or Mossy Oak. If you want to go a
Old 02-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Mahindra owns the license for some type of Willys/CJ, hence the similarities and benefit of some jeep parts working on the Roxer. It is not street legal from the factory, but I understand conversion kits are coming, and they are small and cheap as it's very, very close to being street legal.
I'd love to have one, but $25k gets you a pretty nice 4x4.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:12 PM

Seen several of them at a local power sports dealer in Idaho. Look pretty nice, a modern take on a retro tried and true design. For the right price I’d buy one!
Old 02-16-2019, 10:17 PM

That's an expensive toy to have to trailer. Money better spent on an actual jeep or an an actual off highway vehicle, or both for that price
Old 02-17-2019, 12:20 AM

One beauty would be you could use them before noon out hunting. if they were street legal. Wonder how heavy and if you could float it over the keg up north when moose hunting ??
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:45 AM

Default Roxor

They are almost 1000lbs heavier than a Suzuki Samurai. A Samurai is street legal and parts are relatively easy to find.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:21 AM

but a Samurai is not easy to find..... Not current, not being built and not getting any newer.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 AM

Default roxor

That jeep has got my attention, a diesel engine with lots of low end torque along with H/L standard transmission, what a great off road combination. Even with $25k cost similar price to SXS,s which really are only toys for play.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 AM

If you look in their FAQ section they state not street legal. I doubt that you would be able to make it street legal In Canada. Government regs would get in the way.

They are cool looking but compared to my 2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 I'll take the X4. Lighter 1700 vs 3000lbs , 4 seats , about the same HP with a 847cc engine. Smaller dimensions, shorter wheelbase and more ground clearance. I can still tow 2000lbs. I can get parts and service easy. X4 about $5000 less as well. That buys trailer to haul and lots of accessories.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
but a Samurai is not easy to find..... Not current, not being built and not getting any newer.
Yes, very true. I just bought one out of Arizona. If anyone’s looking there’s quite a few of the old Samuais running around down there as the old farts use them for cruising around in the desert. I got mine for 4K US with a 4” suspension lift and a bunch of other stuff already done to it.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Banned

Canada has such stupid rules (but then, as firearms owners we're used to that )
The Mercedes Unimog...one of the very best offroad trucks to base a camper/expedition vehicle...which they are used all over the world for.
In Canada...classed as a farm/industrial vehicle and not street legal.
Absolute B.S.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
Yes, very true. I just bought one out of Arizona. If anyone’s looking there’s quite a few of the old Samuais running around down there as the old farts use them for cruising around in the desert. I got mine for 4K US with a 4” suspension lift and a bunch of other stuff already done to it.
That's awesome, I'd be all over that. I think I remember your thread on importing that machine.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 PM

Those look pretty cool. But for a street legal ride with off-road capabilities you could buy a TJ for $5-7000 and put a few thousand into it and be way better off. I'm thinking of selling my 09 Ranger and doing that. If you spend a bit more and get a Rubicon they already have a lot of the heavier duty parts you want for off-roading
Old 02-18-2019, 04:17 PM

Default Unimog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
The Mercedes Unimog...one of the very best offroad trucks to base a camper/expedition vehicle...which they are used all over the world for.
Absolute B.S.
I seen an older version of a unimog at the Husky gas station in Grassland, it had a plow on the front of it, seen alberta plates on it, looked for the owner to ask him a few questions about the rig, but could not find him.

Looked like the ultimate off road machine! I wanted to ask him if it was street legal, im guessing maybe his was, as it had plates??

Would like to rig one up for back roads camping!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I just saw a commercial on tv about a pretty cool off-road vehicle. It looks like a cross of an old model military Jeep and a SxS atv. I’m not sure if there’s any advantage to owning something like this except maybe it’s street legal. I wonder what they cost. Has anyone seen one or know any more about them?

https://www.roxoroffroad.com

Grassland trailer sales, in Grassland, ab is a dealer, they have a couple of them I believe, 1 for sure, as i drive that highway to work, they had a white one there on display outside.

I believe they are around the $22k there, don't quote me though!
Give them a call, and ask to speak to Collin Derko, owner.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:30 PM

Thumbs down Not a win

Not street legal in Canada, too heavy for its size (base curb weight is 3,035 lbs.), poor ground clearance, weak suspension, poor rear payload rating at 349 lbs. (seriously?), open differentials??, heater is an option, 62hp from a 2.5L turbo diesel = seriously overpriced for what it is.
While it does look fun, there are better options available for the same, or considerably less dollars.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-20-2019, 01:00 AM

I haven't seen the roxor in particular, but I've seen other mahindras overseas and they're just crappy cars...
$25k is outrageous... If you go buy this car in India I'd expect it to be $5k or something like that
Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemoss View Post
I haven't seen the roxor in particular, but I've seen other mahindras overseas and they're just crappy cars...
$25k is outrageous... If you go buy this car in India I'd expect it to be $5k or something like that
Wonder what wages they pay their workers? Got to be a heck of a mark up and huge profit line at 25k....! As one of the sharks would say, I'm out...!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
I seen an older version of a unimog at the Husky gas station in Grassland, it had a plow on the front of it, seen alberta plates on it, looked for the owner to ask him a few questions about the rig, but could not find him.

Looked like the ultimate off road machine! I wanted to ask him if it was street legal, im guessing maybe his was, as it had plates??

Would like to rig one up for back roads camping!
If you can get an older one (I think it has to be 20 years old) it is classed as a classic and can be road legal.
All the new ones brought in are governed to 40mph to (though that is easily 'fixed') and classed as off-road farm implements.
Here's the European idea of a 'camper', most based on the Unimog or Land Rover Defender https://expeditionportal.com/what-we...n-overlanders/
But then I wouldn't want to try crossing Siberia or the Sahara in a F150
Old 06-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Ok
Been out for awhile... any comments from guys that OWN one???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Absolute B.S.
Tell that to the handful of Unimog owners I see driving around Calgary. I’ve repeatedly seen one that runs a landscaping company as he’ll trailer a skid steer with it and the ‘Mog has a dump bed. A buddy has 3 vintage Unimogs: one an old fire truck, one from an old mine that carried a large compressor and a flat deck one he’ll use more often, I’ve even bumped into him driving it to Ikea. I saw another at a Tim Hortons one morning, snapped some photos even. Based one these and perhaps 1 or 2 others I’ve seen, they can certainly be licensed.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:47 PM

https://youtu.be/MURw4Gc2siU

Watch this, I'm not overly impressed with it.