Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Unfortunately they don't. That was the second place I tried, and didn't have hardly anything for stock.
It's been a couple years since I been in there . But seems to have gone away from outfitter tents and such mostly a clothing store. Used to be awesome 15 years ago. Home hardware order online pick up in store.

Would like to know what's up with gw steel . No air tights were available till dec . Little late for hunting season.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Take a watch.. Perhaps safer than we think? BTW.. If using Zinc coated stuff, please do more research than just this one video. If his tempers are backed up elsewhere seems like a usable product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iHfVmGWkxc
Very interesting . Never would have thought that.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Hi Diver. You've got a few challenges going on there. First, if you want to use the nesting pipes that came with the stove, you are going to need 2 customized 90's.
You should have at least 1 straight pipe coming directly up from the stove and consider having your damper near the top of that pipe. Place your first 90 here, then another straight pipe out the wall, then your next 90, then enough straight pipe to go higher than the ridge line of the tent. Spark arresters can be a pain, but might be neccesary based on the conditions. We always have a rain cap on our setup and attach guy wires to it to anchor the pipe assembly. I really think you are going to have to buy new 5" pipe for the whole setup. I can't believe that you are unable to find any in Calgary. At least Amazon has some!
Here's a photo of our system once it comes out of the tent(this one exits the back of the tent, so it's higher than the side versions), and it's all 5"

Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Hi Diver. You've got a few challenges going on there. First, if you want to use the nesting pipes that came with the stove, you are going to need 2 customized 90's.
You should have at least 1 straight pipe coming directly up from the stove and consider having your damper near the top of that pipe. Place your first 90 here, then another straight pipe out the wall, then your next 90, then enough straight pipe to go higher than the ridge line of the tent. Spark arresters can be a pain, but might be neccesary based on the conditions. We always have a rain cap on our setup and attach guy wires to it to anchor the pipe assembly. I really think you are going to have to buy new 5" pipe for the whole setup. I can't believe that you are unable to find any in Calgary. At least Amazon has some!
Here's a photo of our system once it comes out of the tent(this one exits the back of the tent, so it's higher than the side versions), and it's all 5"
Yep, that's exactly how I want my system to work. I'll be heading over to Amazon later today it would appear.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:29 PM

5 inch stove pipe online.
https://www.homehardware.ca/search?query=stove+pipe
Old 03-02-2019, 04:05 PM

Update!
So, I had to be in Cochrane for work the other day, and on a whim tried Home Hardware. I love those little stores crammed to the rafters with all sorts of stuff that people need. In another era I worked the customer service desk at the Red Deer Co-Op Home Centre. Good times.

Anyhow, I found 5” seamed pipe. (which is a pain to put together) and 5” 90’s. They are the adjustable kind which might be helpful to align with the stove opening in the side of the tent. I also found a shorter 12” piece of pipe which I drilled some holes and installed the damper. I have two full sections of pipe for the horizontal run which I want to slope slightly upward. The two pieces of pipe should get the stove far enough from the canvas walls.

I really wanted the horizontal portion of the pipe to be well supported and was inspired by the bracket Big Bull Macgyvered. So off to crappy tire for a shelf bracket which works perfectly.

I also wanted the pipes to be secure to the post so I didn’t need to put sheet metal screws in the joints, so I bought a bunch of hose clamps and tightened everything up.

Going to experiment with some guy lines or some other means of securing the vertical post a little better. I’m a little worried about a sideways wind knocking it over if I don’t have it pounded into the ground or something.

I have a good burn going this afternoon getting the coating off the pipes and I want to see how the hose clamps handle the high heat. If the whole thing falls apart I’ve got it away from anything that could cause the house to burn down.

Any critiques or suggestions always appreciated. Thought I’d post an update on where you can get this stuff too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracket.jpg (37.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg damper.jpg (33.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg stove.jpg (45.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg stove2.jpg (46.6 KB, 120 views)
Old 03-02-2019, 05:52 PM

Looks like a good set up as long as you can get the main pipe brace pounded it the ground to stabilize it.
About the same as I use on my 16x20 tent.
I Only use 1 section of pipe on the horizontal section that’s all I needed, gets the pipe lots far enough away from the tent, less chance of movement with less sections.
And I have had the stove inside red hot a few times when useing a air tight heater.
Which seems to work better for me than the Yukon type stove like yours,
Looks like a good set up to hold the upright pipe!
Old 03-02-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately they don't. That was the second place I tried, and didn't have hardly anything for stock.
Out of town, between Crossfield and Carstairs, but maybe give Irvine's a all. They sell tents and pack equipment.

https://www.irvinesaddles.ca/

Grizz
Old 03-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Banned

Would T posts and some hay wire work for your upright support?
Old 03-02-2019, 07:01 PM

Build a tri pod with eyes on each leg for tent pegs or 10 inch nails. In the center weld them to a piece of larger pipe with a bolt so you can easily adjust your pipe brace up or down to fit various ground heights outside.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:55 PM

My stove is different but I had to lengthen the legs. A 90 right away and then out through the hole and another 90 and then up over the top of the tent.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
That's my goal, but my execution is less than steller!

I've been to 7 different stores to find non-galvanized stove pipe adjustable 90's..... in the size I need.
Don't be too hard on yourself.
At least your not dealing with this a week before opening day
THink I'll be having the exact issues and probably won't be looking at it till late
summer
Old 04-04-2019, 09:30 AM

Default Another Update.....

Was able to get out for 5 days last week and really enjoyed the time off. Stove worked well, but towards the end of the trip we started getting a fair bit of smoke coming back out the front. Taking the stove down I found quite a bit of creosote in the pipes and it really clogged up the wire spark arrestor. Will monitor that in the future.

My little system for keeping the pipe stable worked well with some guy ropes. For guys that use these wood stoves a lot, would it be of any benefit to bringing a few creosote logs along?

https://www.cleanyourchimney.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tent 2a.jpg (34.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg tent1a.jpg (32.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:41 AM

BURN a couple beer cans in stove helps for creosote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:29 AM

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraVent...BK-T/205544574

These work great for trapping creasote, water etc. Just put where chimney goes straight up on your last 90.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:43 AM

If you are dampening the fire down a lot it will cause more buildup hotter fire = less buildup .If you put a clean out where the elbow is and whack the sides of the stove pipe with a stick each day it will knock down the excess and you can empty it as needed.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:25 PM

ABDiver, in my opinion, you sure went through an awful lot of time, money and energy to try and make this system work when all you had to do was put a stove jack in the roof and your stove pipe would just go straight up and out, No 90s, no bracing. And you can keep using your nesting pipe. I bought my tent and cylinder stove years ago and have never had an issue. Its simple, easy and a quick setup/takedown. I have read and personally seen too many issues with this type of setup to know I would never have it that way...
But hopefully you have all the kinks worked out now.
FYI, Airdrie Tent and Awning does a great job it sewing in stove jacks/repairs etc. I had them add in windows and a mesh front door for ventilation in our tent. Great people to deal with...
Cheers,

SS
Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 PM

Turner Valley Rona sells a lot of wood stoves and all the pipe and stuff , Im sure they would have the 90s
Old 04-06-2019, 08:11 AM

I agree with sharpstick, a couple pipes streight through roof, less pipe to bring/pack, less creosote buildup etc. The other safety factor, when you get major chinook or regular wind storm and tent almost blows down it can move your pipes around and out while you sleep.

Tags
deluxe wall tent, stove pipe, wood stove