Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-26-2018, 05:03 PM

Default New to chironomids

As the title suggests I'm new to chironomid tying/fishing. What are everyone's favourite patterns ( maybe with photos ) for southern Alberta ? Looks like a very fun way to fish.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide
Old 03-26-2018, 06:02 PM

Southern Alberta, Northern Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, BC. The best chironomid pattern is the same: Black Sno-cone, red rib, #16 or #14. Second choice would be a #14 or #16 white bead chromie or ASB w/red rib.
Sno-cone

chromie
Old 03-26-2018, 06:43 PM

good choices..That blk & red sure needs a good sharpening.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:30 PM

Love the chromies!! I find that one the best pattern
Old 03-27-2018, 05:32 AM

Here is an interesting video on chiromomids, different life stages are filmed. You can see why using an indicator in a small chop to create movement is so effective.

I like the sizes prof recommended to you, most of the flies I see people using are to large.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-27-2018, 08:11 AM

Pikergolf;I agree,i have had this discussion many times.I have found that most BC guys prefer 2xl sz 12,14.Where as i'm a believer in scud hooks14,&12.Depending on the time of the year,ice out.16 18 may find there place,scud hooks 2x sh,2xh c068 mustad cheap strong hook...
Old 03-27-2018, 08:39 AM

My personal favorite has to be the Chromie tied on a #14 Klinkhammer. It was while fishing for the elusive Wedge Pond Arctic Grayling that I fell in love with this hook. I also tie it with Holographic thread I bought at the Fly Expo many years ago.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the ideas guys
Old 04-03-2018, 05:35 AM

Oh and I tie my choronomids with this knot as I feel it helps with movement.

http://alaskaflyfishingonline.com/ti...linchknot.html

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-03-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Oh and I tie my choronomids with this knot as I feel it helps with movement.

http://alaskaflyfishingonline.com/ti...linchknot.html
I use this knot on everything except dries; it's especially useful on suspended balanced leeches, as you say for the movement.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
I use this knot on everything except dries; it's especially useful on suspended balanced leeches, as you say for the movement.
Its important to have a daily movement.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Its important to have a daily movement.
You mean It's. Doggone it, do I have to correct everyone's grammar and spelling on this forum?
Old 04-03-2018, 09:23 AM

The white bead is to suggest the feathery white gills that chironomids use to breathe. If your area has been heavily fished, you may wish to revert to old-style buzzers to better fool them. This one is tied using ostrich herl gills.
P3170010 by Andrew Whittick, on Flickr
Old 04-03-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
You mean It's. Doggone it, do I have to correct everyone's grammar and spelling on this forum?
No, I donts thinks anybody asks you to.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:16 PM

Here are a few of my favorites

Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 PM

Old 07-09-2018, 12:07 AM

Default The Alberta Master!

http://www.flycraftangling.com/index...nArticleID=120
Old 07-09-2018, 12:38 AM

Nice work. Just put a maggot on a wireworm under your indicator. Fish it the same way. Chironomid ain't fly fishing in my eyes sorry guys. Would rather strip in a streamer or a leech when it's Chironomid time. Always got my aggressive fish. Just saying. Beautiful tie all the same.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Nice work. Just put a maggot on a wireworm under your indicator. Fish it the same way. Chironomid ain't fly fishing in my eyes sorry guys. Would rather strip in a streamer or a leech when it's Chironomid time. Always got my aggressive fish. Just saying. Beautiful tie all the same.
How is using a chironomid not fly fishing? My best days have been chironomid fishing especially when slowly brings them in and having a big trout slam them.

Back in BC when I lived there if you couldnt match the hatch when chironomids were popping off you wouldnt get a thing.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Here is another good video and a good channel to subscribe too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXSEyvkqORQ&t=223s
Old 07-10-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Lol , I watched a guy out fish me 10 to 1 last Thursday . He was fishing chironomids under an indicator and I was dragging a micro leech off the bottom. I'm guessing he had a 50 plus fish day.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Lol , I watched a guy out fish me 10 to 1 last Thursday . He was fishing chironomids under an indicator and I was dragging a micro leech off the bottom. I'm guessing he had a 50 plus fish day.
I have had many guys row up to me on the lake during a chironomid hatch. They are fishings leeches, dragons, mayflys etc. And ask what the heck im using.

Chironomid fishing is a huge part of fly fishing. Match the hatch/depth and you will not be able to keep them off your line.

Iv been to a few Brian Chan, Phil Rowley seminars. One was even on a lake back home and I got to fish with Brian. Learned ALOT about Chironomids.

I have never heard anyone ever say chironomid fishing is not flyfishing lol
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 PM

Default Fishing the dark side

Try fishing a chironomid on the dark side. Yup-- right-- on the dark side. Straight down off the side of the boat. Once I hit 18-20 ft of water or more I try the dark side. An anchor front and back of the boat to hold the boat from drifting around . Put your fly 1 1/2 ft to 3ft off the bottom. From the 1st eye to the reel is what I use most of the time. Let it sit for a couple of minutes then do a slow lift of about a foot ,then pause, then another foot, then pause, till you can't lift any more then lower your fly back to the bottom position. Then start again. PS sometimes they like it dead still.
30 to 50 fish days are common. Moving into an area and dropping anchors, remember to drop them slowly, will sometimes make the fish move off, but be patient the first bite may take a while. After the first fish or two the bite usually picks up as the caught fish usually draw in more fish. My maximum wait time for a strike is about 15 minutes. I also use a split shot 18 to 24 inches above the fly for a speedier drop to the bottom.
I try to find fish on the sonar before I drop anchor.
Instead of using your forceps clamped onto the fly to find the bottom buy a 3/4 inch long stainless 1/4 inch bolt. add 3 stainless nuts and put a small thin "O" ring in the center of the nuts. Put your fly through the "O" ring, drop it to the bottom for your depth. I found that forceps can damage hooks. I no longer carry them.
PS make up 2 nuts. I have the habit of throwing the bolt over the side instead of the fly.
Bjay
wow--3 posts in night--almost more than I can handle.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 AM
Banned

I fish the central part of the province but use very similar patterns that have been listed. I often try a two hook setup, using a couple of different chironomid patterns but I have had my most success with a gun metal grey #12-14 and black and silver also in #12-14. Bloodworm (red) pattern in spring.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:06 PM

Thanks so much for all the great photos and tips guys
Old 07-19-2018, 03:37 PM

Believe it or not.In some lakes the percentage of food is 60-80% chironomids.I was made a believer myself,one day .Nov 5 at a C&R Lake,i had a day that was special.Landed 22 fish on a sz # 16 blk,red rib i cone.Four days later the lake frose...
Old 07-19-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Believe it or not.In some lakes the percentage of food is 60-80% chironomids.I was made a believer myself,one day .Nov 5 at a C&R Lake,i had a day that was special.Landed 22 fish on a sz # 16 blk,red rib i cone.Four days later the lake frose...
That is crazy late! I almost never fish them later in the year. Looks like I've been missing out...

Best I've done was 49 casts, 49 fish landed, no misses and on the same chironomid. Cast 50 I hooked up...and finally lost that fish mid fight. Almost the perfect 50
Couple guys in another boat saw I was doing well, put down the trolling gear, and anchored up near me. I just lost that one fish as they pulled up, and told them that was almost #50 in a row and they looked at me like "yeah....right". I think the 3rd triple header in a row where both of them were hooked and I was hooked up had them convinced.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:13 PM

Fishing a chironomoid is not always the best way to fish and u will times of year and even time of the day. Don’t forget about dragons migrating , damsel hatching, travelling sedges or backswimmers, if u r a diverse fishermen u adapt to every situation and fishing chironoids has its times.. I go out in my boat with 5 rods as I change as the situation changes always be ready and it works for me
Old 07-20-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Fishing a chironomoid is not always the best way to fish and u will times of year and even time of the day. Don’t forget about dragons migrating , damsel hatching, travelling sedges or backswimmers, if u r a diverse fishermen u adapt to every situation and fishing chironoids has its times.. I go out in my boat with 5 rods as I change as the situation changes always be ready and it works for me
Dis be true. A backswimmer frenzy leads to some power takes! That has to be one of most fun frenzies to be in. Especially fishing one naked....meaning no indicator...not there here is anything wrong with that
Old 07-20-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Dis be true. A backswimmer frenzy leads to some power takes! That has to be one of most fun frenzies to be in. Especially fishing one naked....meaning no indicator...not there here is anything wrong with that
I’m not shy I’ll try anything to catch fis
I troll,I’ll cast and retrieve , I’ll drift with wind
I’ll anchor and indicator fish or fish naked
No one method is the end to all end, and thinking outside of the
Box can surprise u. The good fisherman adapt