Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-25-2018, 06:36 AM

Default WTB A reasonably priced Range Finder Recomendations

Looking for a Range finder any Reasonably priced one's Recomedations Thanks
Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 AM

Since you posted in the archery section I am guessing that you are going to use this for bowhunting.

Have a look at this:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category...er_rangefinder

Website says $279, pretty sure that is CDN as well since I have seen it for sale for $280.

I have the vortex ranger 1000 (first one they came out with) and I love it.
Nice features, display, and easy to use.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:21 AM

i have the same one and I like it quite a bit i haven't had any problems yet. i like how the LED read out is bright orange and really easy to see even if your ranging towards the sun although the lens does flare up pretty bad but i would imagine even the more expensive models do but I've never tried them so i cant say for sure. i had a Bushnell before this and i hated it i couldn't range dark targets (bear&moose) and it ate batteries for breakfast i wont buy a Bushnell again. and who doesn't love that vortex warranty.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:43 PM

Buy a used Leica. New and inexpensive = cheap, that’s not what you need in a rangefinder. I’ve been using a Leica lrf800 for about ten years but when I bought it I didn’t pay more then $300 for it.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info.Yes i am going to use it for Archery.Just new to the sport & wanting to do ethical shots & lethal ones.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:53 AM

I like my Nikon prostaff 3i. It’s got angle compensation, will give you your furthest reading if ranging through grass or Bush. It will range far enough for bowhunting easy. I saw it on sale at cabelas last month for around $250
Old 07-13-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
I like my Nikon prostaff 3i. It’s got angle compensation, will give you your furthest reading if ranging through grass or Bush. It will range far enough for bowhunting easy. I saw it on sale at cabelas last month for around $250
The pro staff 7i is the one that I have. Cabelas often has them on sale for right around $300.00, I’m not sure the differences between the two though. Further range with the 7i, I would assume. It says it’s good out to 1300 yards. So far my longest range taken was at 983 yards. That was just to a house though, so I highly doubt you’d get that far with a deer or moose. It is a nice rangefinder. I really need to read the manual though, I know it has range compensation and all kinds of other stuff too, just not positive how to use all the modes. Could be another option for the OP!!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:29 AM

i have the nikon prostaff 7I as well works greats have ranged larger objects out to 1150 yards
purchased on amazon for 262.00
Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 AM

My personal experience with the Vortex 1000 was not great. I found it took a long time to acquire the target and display a range. I spoke with Vortex about this and their CS stated that was their number 1 complaint and the reason they were coming out with the 1500 model. I have no experience with the 1500.

I now use the Leupold 1200i TBR DNA. It is much faster that the Vortex 1000 and serves double duty for bow and rifle. I have had good success with Nikon products and if I was looking for a dedicated Archery range finder I would look for a used Nikon Archer, I regret selling the one I had.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
The pro staff 7i is the one that I have. Cabelas often has them on sale for right around $300.00, I’m not sure the differences between the two though. Further range with the 7i, I would assume. It says it’s good out to 1300 yards. So far my longest range taken was at 983 yards. That was just to a house though, so I highly doubt you’d get that far with a deer or moose. It is a nice rangefinder. I really need to read the manual though, I know it has range compensation and all kinds of other stuff too, just not positive how to use all the modes. Could be another option for the OP!!
Biggest difference between 3 and 7 is distance and the 3 is water resist where the 7 is water proof. For both, Angle compensation is built in automatic, it doesn’t display the angle and the back light is black not red.

LC