Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Default Fishing around arctic circle

Anyone ever done a trip fishing around the arctic circle? Dollys, Char, grayling, salmon, whatever. I may have the opportunity to do it in August but I have no idea what to expect or really how to prepare. It's an unguided float trip where we float/camp for 4-5 days and get picked up at the end. Bear concerns. Bug concerns. Gear concerns.

Anyone done such a trip that can provide some insight?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:34 PM

I've never done a float, but fished some streams off the Dempster Hwy in the Yukon. Always thought those mesh bug jackets you can get at crappy tire were a bit silly until I went up there. Mosquitoes like you can't imagine...that was in July though. Pretty cool casting flies and catching fish at 3am though. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:37 PM

Last year I was in the NWT on a canoeing excursion down the nahanni. Once in the lower reaches of the basin, the mosquitos and horse flies were torturous. Couldn't take a leak without getting a couple bites on the old worm ;p bug jackets look stupid but help with sanity. Worse than the Amazon! Trust me I've been there too..
Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 PM

Thumbs up Arctic

Bears are definitely a concern especially the Barren-lands and hybrids with the white bear as you get closer to the coast. Just be smart and be prepared and you will have no issues. Bug jackets make fishing and camp much more enjoyable. The later you go the less issues with bugs but they are always there.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 AM

I spent a year Baised in Cambridge bay and several years in Yellowknife, great place the NWT, very fond memoarys from my time up north,
Lakers, pickerel, jacks and artic char, greyling, whitefish, graced the table along with a few other spieces, artic Char and lakers mostly, one you get up around the artic coast, at least thats my experience from Coppermine, cambridge to Pelly bay.
Dont know were your going, but for sure bug spray and jacket, take bear defence items, I wold take spray and my 9.3x62.
I use a 6.6-7 foot spinning rod, 12-14lbs and spoons, pixies, williams, len thompson etc, few plugs rapala's etc and spinners, take a few jigs and tails for pickerel,
fish in the north are agressive, and only have a short period of time to fatten up before winter,
Not many salmon, think a small run of chum in the Mackenzie river.
I second, the bit latter in the season, once its started too cool off, a bit.
Small vertex for greayling, if taking fly rod, small nymphs and drys for greyling, and large streamers for trout and char. 6-8 weight, with floating and sink tip.
Have fun, its an amazing place.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:10 PM

Good info so far. I don't have much details yet, but what I do know is we fly to Fairbanks and then take a bush plane to the push off point and get picked up about 25 miles down river 4-5 days later.

Looks like I need to buy a bunch of gear, like PVC rain suits, bug jacket, all non-cotton gear. My biggest fear is bears coming in while we are camping. You can do your best not to bring scent to the tent but it's difficult especially after eating trout/salmon for dinner.

What kind of temp swings am I looking at potentially in early August? I think it's still pretty much 22-24 hours of sunlight so are the temps pretty stable as a result? Obviously storms can blow through and bring a major change in temps. Do I need to prepare for -15 to +15 degrees?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:39 PM

I've done a 7day float trip down the Alagnak in Alaska. Wool and synthetic are a must. Bug jacket is a must at times (no wind)...don't rely on bug spray alone. Bears shouldn't bother you if the salmon are running, however, get yourself a good D battery powered electric fence. They usually know what the fence is about so they walk by and don't disturb. Watch were you set your tent up, they don't like it when you set it up on their trail. Bring a shot gun with bean bag bullets (used these on polar bears and the work for a while), the rubber balls are useless, and the rubber slugs are not good, also pack the real thing (lead slug) as well. When you eat salmon on the river, all guts and left overs go back in river and wash everything else with soap to remove grease. Also buy bear spray and camp fuel at the point where you get on the float plane. They can put the bear spray in the pontoon/float of the plane (not allowed in the cabin).

When fishing for salmon when you get into them, have the time of your life, but be aware, depending on the river, the timing of the run, and when natives nets go across or commercial nets at the mouth clean up the run, you can go from "riches to rags" from one day to the next. Locals likely will know timing.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:48 PM

I've done a 7day float trip down the Alagnak in Alaska. Wool and synthetic are a must. Bug jacket is a must at times (no wind)...don't rely on bug spray alone. Bears shouldn't bother you if the salmon are running, however, get yourself a good D battery powered electric fence. They usually know what the fence is about so they walk by and don't disturb. Watch were you set your tent up, they don't like it when you set it up on their trail. Bring a shot gun with bean bag bullets (used these on polar bears and the work for a while), the rubber balls are useless, and the rubber slugs are not good, also pack the real thing (lead slug) as well. When you eat salmon on the river, all guts and left overs go back in river and wash everything else with soap to remove grease. Also buy bear spray and camp fuel at the point where you get on the float plane. They can put the bear spray in the pontoon/float of the plane (not allowed in the cabin).

When fishing for salmon when you get into them, have the time of your life, but be aware, depending on the river, the timing of the run, and when natives nets go across or commercial nets at the mouth clean up the run, you can go from "riches to rags" from one day to the next. Locals likely will know timing.