Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Legalize drugs.....

After twisted Canucks post about his daughter being robbed at the ATM, I wanna see what you guys think.

I think we should legalize drugs...the war on drugs is over and we lost.
We should have safe houses where these guys can go and buy their drugs, very cheap or even supplied free. The amount of money that would save our police forces, etc. Would be astronomical. Pot should be sold at the corner store and taxed accordingly.

Oh, yeah, it wouldn't hurt if these drug houses were located near the local morgues, just for convenience sake!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

As ABB would say IBTL
Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
After twisted Canucks post about his daughter being robbed at the ATM, I wanna see what you guys think.

I think we should legalize drugs...the war on drugs is over and we lost.
We should have safe houses where these guys can go and buy their drugs, very cheap or even supplied free. The amount of money that would save our police forces, etc. Would be astronomical. Pot should be sold at the corner store and taxed accordingly.

Oh, yeah, it wouldn't hurt if these drug houses were located near the local morgues, just for convenience sake!
explain how you think that by legalizing drugs would have stopped that retard from robbing twisted canucks daughter?.....it would have happened anyway just he would have went to the corner store to get his junk and not his buddy cheech. lol. but really you need to
Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 PM

The war on drugs, like the war in Afghanistan is lost because we haven't got the moral gumption to fight it. We wanna win, we'd better get serious, not say the hell with it and quit.

Grizz
Old 07-01-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The war on drugs, like the war in Afghanistan is lost because we haven't got the moral gumption to fight it. We wanna win, we'd better get serious, not say the hell with it and quit.

Grizz
I dont know about that.

24 hour air support, the latest and greatest technology, boots on the ground, oodles of cash, reguler forays into Pakistan over the last ten years........I think we in the west are showing gumption.

As far as the war on drugs is concerned we might as well make coffee, cigarettes, and alcohol illegal so the good guys are in tip top shape to fight it as we have been doing it for 42 years since Nixon declared it in 1969.

Not being a smartazz but do you have any suggestions on how to stop it?
Im sure the RCMP and DEA would appreciate it.

Last edited by IR_mike; 07-01-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 PM

I agree, make it legal, but it has to be used in the houses supplied, which have a built in crematorium. Great plan, like the "you have just won a boat" sweepstakes the police run. Lighting up would gave new meaning!

Every drug user for all I am concerned would be very welcome there. No exit door required!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-01-2011, 11:46 PM

If the government actually took the war on drugs seriously it would be easy. Almost anyone of us could with in just a few hours of investigative work find out who the drug dealers in the neighborhood are. Drugs are sold in broad daylight in every city in North America, the police look the other way. The real problem is that the politicians, judges and the police force are infiltrated by organize crime, and political correctness is the other major factor. It wouldn't bother me if drugs were legalized, but unfortunantly the criminals would just move on to something else.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
explain how you think that by legalizing drugs would have stopped that retard from robbing twisted canucks daughter?.....it would have happened anyway just he would have went to the corner store to get his junk and not his buddy cheech. lol. but really you need to
I agree that drugs are harmful, some no more, maybe less than alchohol.

But by legalizing we would cut the legs out from underneath organized crime. Why are drugs so expensive? Black market. Without the hugely marked up cost due to risk and danger involved, making your own wouldn't be feasable.

And picking up your recreational poison of choice would be no more risk fraught than picking up a sack of beer. Government standards for content, labeled and taxed means no more surprises in quality, cutting agents and strength.

Just like the prohibition on alchol fueled crime, and crimials like Al Capone, we have our modern day version complete with the gangs.

Would drugs still be a problem concerning abuse? Of course, but I don't think it would be worse than now, with considerably less danger and backlash against the user and society in general.

BTW, lest anyone get the wrong idea, this is not me:

Ok, ready!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 PM

My spider sense is tingling....

IBTL

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-02-2011, 12:00 AM

Most people who do drugs will steal the money they need in order to buy legal drugs. The only way to stop drug use is for people to stop using them. There is no other solution.
If there was no demand for them then their would be no supply, plain and simple.

Organized crime has their hands into everything from Unions, sales of food drugs, major industry, goverment and the list goes on.

Very few people would actually be able to deal with the solution to the problem. That would entail loosing your freedoms for a many years, to be at the mercy of the ways to deal with it. Many many innocent people would be harmed. But it is doable. But again very few woudl be willing to actually deal with it.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
If the government actually took the war on drugs seriously it would be easy. Almost anyone of us could with in just a few hours of investigative work find out who the drug dealers in the neighborhood are. Drugs are sold in broad daylight in every city in North America, the police look the other way. The real problem is that the politicians, judges and the police force are infiltrated by organize crime, and political correctness is the other major factor. It wouldn't bother me if drugs were legalized, but unfortunantly the criminals would just move on to something else.
Agreed!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post

But by legalizing we would cut the legs out from underneath organized crime. Why are drugs so expensive? Black market. Without the hugely marked up cost due to risk and danger involved, making your own wouldn't be feasable.

And picking up your recreational poison of choice would be no more risk fraught than picking up a sack of beer. Government standards for content, labeled and taxed means no more surprises in quality, cutting agents and strength.

Just like the prohibition on alchol fueled crime, and crimials like Al Capone, we have our modern day version complete with the gangs.

Would drugs still be a problem concerning abuse? Of course, but I don't think it would be worse than now, with considerably less danger and backlash against the user and society in general.

Ok, ready!

i think that this way of thinking would be the absolute worst thing we could do as a society. we are already really screwed up in our values and legalization of drugs would be horrible for a multiple of reasons.... to cut all the underground out of drugs and truly make them legit you would have to legalize ALL drugs, this would include crack, meth, oxy and so on. is this what you want okayed by society? well i say no thanks. i hope my kids never try em, but if they do i still want the message to be that they are wrong, and we don't condone the action of hurting yourself and others in the addiction. i think the best thing we can do is harsher punishments for people infecting our streets with drugs and better support for people who can be saved.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
i think that this way of thinking would be the absolute worst thing we could do as a society. we are already really screwed up in our values and legalization of drugs would be horrible for a multiple of reasons.... to cut all the underground out of drugs and truly make them legit you would have to legalize ALL drugs, this would include crack, meth, oxy and so on. is this what you want okayed by society? well i say no thanks. i hope my kids never try em, but if they do i still want the message to be that they are wrong, and we don't condone the action of hurting yourself and others in the addiction. i think the best thing we can do is harsher punishments for people infecting our streets with drugs and better support for people who can be saved.
I agree 100% with harsher penalties

Old 07-02-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
So whats your take on alcohol being legal?

Pretty damaging substance in its own right, pretty much on the same level as many illegal substances.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I agree 100% with harsher penalties
Yup...easy answer is keep building jails, and get the cost of keeping a prisoner down to around 100 bucks a year. No reason they shouldn't be doing labour in there to earn their keep. To my way of thinking...jails should not be for punishment, rehab, learning a trade, or as timeouts...they should be used to get AND KEEP criminals out of society so that decent people can go about their lives without worrying about becoming a victim. The myth of the rehabilitated criminal is just that...a myth. I am sure there are a few that learn their lesson, but frankly, I'd rather just lock em all up and let them rot. One strike and you're out.

As an aside...most criminals come from crappy homes, which they go on to perpetuate. Catch em early and get them out of the breeding loop before they get a chance to infect another generation. May sound harsh...I'm sure some lib will come on here and tell me it's unreasonable to remove criminals from society in short order.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:52 AM

Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post

Pretty damaging substance in its own right, pretty much on the same level as many illegal substances.
Unless you've been exposed to a crackhouse or a meth den that's a pretty naive statement, Mike. They're not like your local pub......
Old 07-02-2011, 12:53 AM

There is a few places in the world that have legalized drug use that could examined for the effects. For the most part we would see people who decide when, if, and how much. Just as in illegal drug use, it comes down to personal responsibility.

There are things that just shouldn't be tried, legal or not. This list includes heroin, meth and crack. I'm not necessarely saying that these should or should not be legal, however by legalizing, it could better be controlled.

Interesting that in the early 1900s heroin was a prescription drug, later on coca-cola contained coke, or a least some kind of extract from the coca leaves and the housewives in the 50s were routinely taking prescription speed pills.

I don't think that the drugs themselves are what should be focused on. How about one law to replace the war? Illegal transaction of controlled substance causing death or endangerment to well being. We could make the penalty death. And not in a peaceful way, depending on the severity of the offence.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:

i totally agree that alcohol not taken in proportion can be just as damaging as many drugs out there today.....but its defiantly not on the same level coke, crack, meth, oxy ect. i also think that harsher punishments for people who abuse alcohol should be put in place. it kills me to hear of a drunk driver who wipes out a whole family and gets 2 years in jail.....absolutely not acceptable in mind.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:03 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...549#post979549
for those that never saw it in last weeks discussion on drugs
Did the scheme contrive,
All up alive!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Unless you've been exposed to a crackhouse or a meth den that's a pretty naive statement, Mike. They're not like your local pub......
I would have to disagree tree.

Close the pubs, make possesion of alcohol illegal, force it underground increase its cost by a LARGE factor eg.26 oz worth 100$+ wont be very different.

A addiction to a drug such as alcohol is no different to a addiction to coke.

An addict is a addict.

People risk death to consume or traffic in alcohol in islamic countries were alcohol is illegal.

Remember the canadian being held in Saudi a few years ago?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
i totally agree that alcohol not taken in proportion can be just as damaging as many drugs out there today.....but its defiantly not on the same level coke, crack, meth, oxy ect. i also think that harsher punishments for people who abuse alcohol should be put in place. it kills me to hear of a drunk driver who wipes out a whole family and gets 2 years in jail.....absolutely not acceptable in mind.
Liver disease, Karsakoffs syndrome, early onset diabetes, lowering of inhibitions, mood swings (have you seen more drunk people fighting or sober people fighting?).

Not a lot of difference IMHO
Old 07-02-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
A addiction to a drug such as alcohol is no different to a addiction to coke.

An addict is a addict.
how many people do you know that got addicted to alcohol off of one or two beer? i would rather be with a guy after 2 beer than a couple lines of coke....i have also never heard of a guy wigging out on beer and robbing a 14 year old girl for 40 bucks for happy hour.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
how many people do you know that got addicted to alcohol off of one or two beer? i would rather be with a guy after 2 beer than a couple lines of coke....i have also never heard of a guy wigging out on beer and robbing a 14 year old girl for 40 bucks for happy hour.
Well I do know of a pair of drunken hillbilly brothers who beat the one other brother to death for what was left of his pay cheque on pay day a few years ago.

BTW I like beer as well.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post

Ok, ready!
I agree. We will never get rid of drugs, so then the government may as well stop wasting money trying to fight it, and legalize it, and control it like alcohol and tobacco. Depending on the drug, depends on the place you can buy it, and how much you can buy.

Then make very stiff penalties for those who sell drugs illegally, or give it to kids.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Banned

Quote:

Nobody smokes marijuana for the taste, they smoke it to get high. I know a lot of people who drink a beer or two, a glass of wine or two or a shot of scotch, but have no intention of getting drunk.

The comparison between alcohol and drugs is fair only if you consider that as soon as you ban a substance, a black market opens up. Remove the ban, the drivers that cause the black market disappear.

I might be more conducive to accepting some legalization if a test for stoned driving could be developed.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Banned

X2
Old 07-02-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
I agree. We will never get rid of drugs, so then the government may as well stop wasting money trying to fight it, and legalize it, and control it like alcohol and tobacco. Depending on the drug, depends on the place you can buy it, and how much you can buy.

Then make very stiff penalties for those who sell drugs illegally, or give it to kids.
sounds good. there will always be poaching so we should stop enforcing rules there as well, there will always be speeders so lets do away with speed limits....should we keep going?....we need laws and rules and the people who enforce them aren't wasting money what they need are the spinless fu*ks in parliament to help them out with harsher penalties!!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:32 AM

.Night all
Did the scheme contrive,
All up alive!