Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-03-2022, 08:18 PM

Default Tikka T3 in 7 mm Rem. Mods?

Bought a new T3 in 7mm Rem. Stainless, basic composite stock etc. Any thoughts on simple modifications to improve accuracy and ease of use? I don't load my own ammo but open to everyone's thoughts.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:34 PM

As far as accuracy goes, the T-3 is generally one of the more accurate factory rifles. Other than testing various loads, there isn't a lot of room for improvement, without major expenses. As far as ease of use, a better recoil pad would be an improvement. If you really want to spend more money, you could go with an aftermarket stock
Old 04-03-2022, 10:10 PM

put a limbsaver stock on it and shoot away. i love my T3.

Thinking of trying to find a donor stainless action and building a custom rifle off it.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:16 PM

I have a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag and it is my main Moose/Elk gun.

The Tikka, especially with a 24" barrel, is very forward heavy and doesn't balance very well. I decided to add weight to the rear stock to get a balance point approx. 4 inches in front of the trigger guard.

I went and purchased the Limbsaver recoil pad designed for T3 and a can of spray foam. I install the pad and taped fishing weights to the mid point of the rear stock until the balance was right.

I then sprayed the stock half full and put the weights in the foam. Filled the rest of the stock and allowed it to sit over night. Cut the foam off flush and installed the recoil pad.

A couple things to remember, the stock cavity has a hole right to the rear action screw, so you will need to tape this off. Also make sure you thread in the pad screws and then tape off the expose threads, before filling the stock cavity.

My Tikka is much nicer to carry and shoulder now, and recoil is a non issue. Cost for the pad, foam and weights was under $70.
Old 04-03-2022, 11:37 PM

I like a light trigger pull so my Tikkas got trigger springs.
I concur with the Limbsaver pad!
Old 04-04-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
As far as accuracy goes, the T-3 is generally one of the more accurate factory rifles.
Other than testing various loads, there isn't a lot of room for improvement, without major expenses.
As far as ease of use, a better recoil pad would be an improvement. If you really want to spend more money, you could go with an aftermarket stock
IMO, an out of the box Tikka with shoot better than the most shooters. I agree a limbsaver pad will make things a little more comfortable....

But overall the Tikka is hard to improve on.
As for ammo and you don't reload, find a load it likes and buy several boxes of that dye lot.... for factory load consistency.

I have never seen one shoot over 3/4"......

Enjoy.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 04-04-2022 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:18 AM

The 3 tikkas I have owned never 'Needed' modification to increase accuracy. But the limbsaver does take the snap out of the magnum recoil.

That being said, I like to tinker so I have done a bit of work to my .300wm that is my current big game setup.

Wildcat stock and Devon bedded the action
Muzzle break
Titanium recoil lug
Recoil pad
Old 04-04-2022, 08:43 AM

Atlas Worx bottom metal.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:52 AM

Get rid of the cheesy plastic stock and enjoy the rifle.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest206 View Post
Get rid of the cheesy plastic stock and enjoy the rifle.
Agree, that's the one weak link on the Tikka is those ugly Tupperware stocks. As mentioned, look at the Wildcat stock (just got a rifle built with the Tac Hunter and I love that stock!) they are great value for dollar. That would be my first, and probably only upgrade on it. You won't need a brake with a proper stock. I hate brakes on rifles.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-04-2022, 12:34 PM

Unlikely it will improve accuracy but a YoDave trigger spring is nice if you want a lighter trigger.

Outside that, like others have said, not much you will do inexpensively to make the Tikka shoot better. The money you spend on mods is much better spent on in-person or online courses to help make you a better shooter. Training is such an under utilized tool for the bravdo ego in all of us.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:53 AM

Thanks guys, Limbsaver it is. May look into a stock upgrade as well in the future.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Agree, that's the one weak link on the Tikka is those ugly Tupperware stocks. As mentioned, look at the Wildcat stock (just got a rifle built with the Tac Hunter and I love that stock!) they are great value for dollar. That would be my first, and probably only upgrade on it. You won't need a brake with a proper stock. I hate brakes on rifles.

Careful now. I know one fella on this site that thinks they're the best stocks ever.