Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-10-2020, 09:05 AM

Default Switching Hands - need a recommendation

I grew up as kid shooting a recurve bow right handed and was left eye dominant. My parents were never into archery or any shooting sports and the store never gave my parents much feedback 20 years ago to get me setup properly. I found this out when I went to shoot a compound bow and had to wear an eye patch on my left eye as a kid so I could shoot right handed.

I made the switch myself from shooting pellet guns from right hand to left hand after I was old enough to learn how iron sights worked I couldn't focus on them from a mile above the bore but never bothered with the recurve bow as the pellet guns sort of took over...

All that being said, fast forward 20 years and my son is turning 6 this coming week. I did an eye dominance test and he is left eye dominant. I picked him up a LH blue diamond atomic.

I would like to get back into archery as well, so I am looking for recommendations for an easy to shoot LH bow. I remember when switching from RH to LH with the pellet guns it was awkward. I know this is going to be the same.

I am 6' tall with long arms. The tall dress shirts fit better. Starting off, something that can go to a lower poundage to get the form back and build up. I am not found of bells and whistles. Just like to keep things simple.

What is a good bow for this?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2020, 10:05 AM

I would look at an Evolve 35 in 50-60 lbs.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:19 AM

Interesting.

I had simikar thing kinda happen to me. My dad bought me a compound bow for my birthday at the Edmonton Boat and Sportsman Show ...... probably from Vissers Archery (or is it Vischer..?)

It was right handed and expensive and the sales guys sure saw us coming.

I’m a lefty, left eye dominant, and shoot lefty rifles.

But... it was expensive, there were no returns allowed.... and in ‘89 I wanted to really take up archery.

So I forced myself to be able to shoot a right handed bow,

I don’t think I could shoot left now...
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."