Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2018, 05:53 PM

Default Too much 45-70

I think I finally found a 45-70 load that is officially a killer on both ends. Last week my wife and I were in Edmonton and I happened to wander into cabelas south. There just happened to be two boxes of hornady 350g FP interlocks on the shelf. I bought both.

Later that day as we came back into Calgary my wife wanted to sneak into Cabelas to look at Muck boots and I just happened to see hornady 350g FP interlocks on the shelf there as well. Two boxes. I bought both.

Anyhoo, I loaded a bunch up with H4198 and headed to the range today. Hodgedon's max load is listed at 54 grains. I started at 46.5. By the time I got to 50.5 my shoulder was more than a tad sore. I broke up each group with the .22 and paced myself but I quit half way through the 51.0 grain string. The second to last shot felt like it temporarily deflated my left lung and the last one pushed all the blood out of my torso.

I might be exaggerating, but not by much.

I left the chrony at home but I would peg the 50.5's at about 2075ish fps. That group with a Skinner peep was just over an inch at 50 meters. I figure I can put it where it's needed and if it hurts me that much, it'll hurt whatever is on the end a whole heck of a lot more.

Like they say, good enough for government work!

Colin