Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Banned

The latest developments in internal and "crossover" packs, such as the MR NICE and Kifaru Longhunter models really eliminate the need for an external frame in MOST hunting. They are FAR better for longer treks under weight and since the REAL difficulty when traversing steep country is in DESCENDING and sidehilling, the superior sway control and enhanced posture control due to this and the closer fit to your spine make them a better choice.

I recently sold my Bullpac Alaskan external to a Moose hunter and this is THE most skookum frame pack made. I had two Dana Design Longbed Loadmasters and these are on the superb and long discontinued DD Terraframe. I sold the one that was a tad too small for me and kept a totally mint one I picked up for a couple hundred bucks, deals are out there if you know what to look for.

Size? This largely depends on your uses and many people use packs far larger than they have to; however, for ONE "do-it-all" mountain hunting pack for sheep, deer, goats and so forth, a 7000-8000 cu. in. capacity is probably best and my major hunting packs all have large capacities.

I have had and do have Kifaru packs, a Longhunter Rendevous and a Siwash, fully rigged and I like these, but, sold the LH as the waistbelts do not work well for me. The LH was comfortable to about 70 lbs, but, even at my age, 63 at month's end, I can still carry 100 lbs. with the MR packs and only a full-on custom McHale is "maybe" slightly superior...and costs MAJOR coin! So, for ME, the MR Kodiak and two MR complete NICE systems I currently own are IT and should last me until I retire from backpacking around 90 or so.

The Tatonka frame is a very decent rig, for the price and I have suggested the use of a stuff sack system many times on various forums. I recommend the camo Cabela's rolltop dry sacks for this, they come in a smooth coated model and mine have kept my grub, etc. totally dry in severe storms for over a week at a time. This or a Barney's frame is a good option, especially for Moose hunters using quads and packing large, awkward loads such as quarters a relatively short distance.

However, I still find a GOOD internal FAR better for most mountain hunting uses. Badlands is now offering the "Ox" pack, a new design and one I think is very sound for shorter trips as in 4-5 day Mulie, sheep or goat hunts. I had an original Badlands 4500, bought with custom sizing in 1996 and likely the first in Canada. They made them in Utah at that time and they were a fine pack; it along with the DD Terraplane Overkill I also bought in the '90s, a Bozeman-made one, was swiped from my home in Dec. 1999, by some pos.

I now use an "off-shore" Badlands for Coastal Blacktail hunting and they are not bad, for the price. A pack MUST fit you properly as must your boots and this is one aspect of gear selection where spending the cash REALLY is a wise investment. You do NOT "need" a lot of fancy over-priced "hunter's clothing" that changes models ever year to get more suckers to buy it, BUT, a good pack, boots, optics and a decent bag/shelter ARE absolutely fundamental to both safety and success in mountain hunting.

I recommend calling the pack maker(s) you are interested in and talking with them about your physique, intended uses and fitting situation. The guys at MR plus Patrick at Kifaru have done mucho hunting and mucho pack fitting and will give you the straight goods without a lot of bullschit. Take your time, try friends packs, anyone coming to Vancouver who contacts me is very welcome to come to my home at try on mine and I have 10-12 here at any given time and then buy a good pack that fits YOU.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 PM

To each his own Kutenay.

I am suprised you seem to discredit external frames as they fit my niche perfectly.
They do have sidesway as you say, and that can be uncomfortable. But the tradeoff is your back stays drier from the air movement which i find alot more comfortable for long hikes in heat.

I also find the external frames are nicer to go downhill with heavy weight as I seem to hike back a bit and with poles, it find it not as hard on the knees as with internal frame bearing down. But again, going uphill is more of a struggle.

I do prefer compression waterproof sacks as well and a simple plastic garbage inside has worked the trick for me. And with highly compressable gear, (waders,clothes,tarp) you can compress the gear to a rock hard round form and found it alot better than the heavy sealline roll down bags.

I'm sure my pack can stand with any pack out there for weight hauling and its a big bonus that it is inexpensive as well.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned

I am not discrediting anything, but, merely stating what I have found in using various packs for many years. If, you have a problem with a GOOD internal pack ...bearing down..., it is because it is not correctly adjusted for you.

However, what is important is if a given individual is happy with HIS/HER pack as you seem to be and more power to you.

I have many different stuff/compression sacks of various materials, but, tend to prefer the camo Cabela's ones for hunting as they are QUIET and tough as well as inexpensive and totally waterproof. I will not use garbage bags to cover my very costly gear for several reasons, but, if you like this, why fine, again, I simply state what I have found best, no denigration of others intended.

BTW, have you ever used a MR, Kifaru or McHale internal frame pack?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 PM

for the mountains I also prefer an internal pack that I can cinch tight to my hips and shoulders if balance becomes an issue.

I have three sizes of Lowe Alpine packs. I bought one of those 20 years ago and it never let me down in spite of some serious abuse. I have been faithful to those ever since.

I think they now supply some to the US Army ( at least the 10th Mtn Infantry).
http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/products.php?catid=17#
Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM

I have an Eberlestock J107. After having several other interal frame packs (Lowa Alpine, Dana Designs, Gregory) and 2 different external packs, I will never switch from this pac. The build quality is on a different level from a badlands pack, the harness is very adjustable, I have packed over 100 pounds down cliffs, and over rough scree slopes and don't get sore shoulders (if only the legs were the same...) I could easily carry 150ish pounds and not get a sore back or shoulders, but again the legs will be toast. The gun scabard works very well for me, and it holds more than enough gear for a week long backcountry trip. The zip on added storage is very secure and doesn't shift when strapped down.

Tags
backpack, bow, frame, rifle