Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-04-2020, 09:01 AM
Banned

Exclamation Attention! Is this true?, carry your pal/rpal this season!

The following is an email i received this morning via close contact, looks to have come from a friend of this person. Can we verify this?

"As we all know we are to carry our PAL/RPAL whenever transporting or hunting with a firearm. This year it may be more important though. Recently I was in conversation with the local conservation officers (CO's) and they explained that they are now obligated to request your PAL/RPAL if you are in possession of a firearm when they are conducting a game or hunting licence check.

If during the game or licence check the hunter(s) in possession of a firearm cannot produce a valid PAL/RPAL the CO's are to confiscate the firearm(s). If the accused can produce a valid PAL/RPAL within 14 days the firearm will be returned. If no valid PAL/RPAL is produced a criminal investigation will be initiated and probably the firearm will be destroyed following the investigation. It is important to note that it is the person who was in possession of the firearm, not necessarily the firearm owner, who must produce the valid PAL/RPAL.

This change in probable action by the CO's should prompt everyone to check one's own PAL/RPAL before heading out to hunt or shoot. If loaning a firearm to family or friend it is paramount that the firearm owner also verify that individual's PAL/RPAL, which we all do anyway, as they will now be the one in possession of the firearm.

It is encouraged that word be spread to family, friends and local club members of this probable enforcement of the law. It is too late now to obtain or renew a PAL/RPAL as this takes several months to process. Personally it is known that several people have allowed their PAL/RPAL to expire as the individuals have no intention of purchasing more firearms or they think that the expired PAL/RPAL is sufficient. It will be a shame if these people take the risk to hunt without a valid PAL/RPAL and lose their firearm. No amount of persuading can alter their minds either.

This is not a new policy or regulation, just one that has not been widely enforced in the past few decades.

It is hoped that everyone and your families are doing well during this difficult time. If you are a hunter, best of luck in your endeavours this fall."
Old 09-04-2020, 09:09 AM

I think you're also supposed to carry the little paper slip that came with your PAL at all times. Mine is in my wallet.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I think you're also supposed to carry the little paper slip that came with your PAL at all times. Mine is in my wallet.
Is there not another paper slip that supports the paper slip that supports the PAL. They should also issue another card that confirms the holder is cleared to carry the papers and the PAL.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:27 AM
Banned

don't like to spread misinformation so just trying to do two things here, try to confirm this and at the same time inform the people

i'm thinking of land owners at the moment, had their guns forever, box of shells lasts for up to two decades, now doing some local hunting like they have their whole lives...a routine stop and check and their guns (likely handed down from dad, grandfather) confiscated and destroyed? as they likely can't renew in time?
Old 09-04-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
don't like to spread misinformation so just trying to do two things here, try to confirm this and at the same time inform the people

i'm thinking of land owners at the moment, had their guns forever, box of shells lasts for up to two decades, now doing some local hunting like they have their whole lives...a routine stop and check and their guns (likely handed down from dad, grandfather) confiscated and destroyed? as they likely can't renew in time?
You are correct in that thought line, anyone, not just them, will be in trouble unless they can produce proof the renewal is in progress and is under 6mos. from the expiry date. Believe there may be some people have already been charged in that situation. Should try contacting Ian Runkle, good subject for a vid on that.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Is there not another paper slip that supports the paper slip that supports the PAL. They should also issue another card that confirms the holder is cleared to carry the papers and the PAL.
You must make sure your brief case full of documents is with you at all times.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
You must make sure your brief case full of documents is with you at all times.
Just another nit picking way to inconvenience us.

Grizz
Old 09-04-2020, 10:06 AM

Here's the paper. Seems silly to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200904-100135_Gallery.jpg (26.4 KB, 804 views)
Old 09-04-2020, 10:19 AM

I have always carried my PAL , and I have been checked twice at combined RCMP/F&W checkstops. Why wouldn't a person carry a PAL , when you could be pulled by RCMP at any time? And if you are pulled over, and the RCMP see that you have a firearm, you should expect them to ask you to produce your PAL. And if you are in possession of firearms without a valid PAL, then you have nobody to blame but yourself. As much as I have no use for our firearms laws, only a fool gives the police an excuse to seize their firearms.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I was under the impression the little piece of paper was for transporting "restricted" firearms.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I was under the impression the little piece of paper was for transporting "restricted" firearms.
I'm not sure. Any info on that piece of worn out paper should be visible if they were to run my RPAL. But regardless I carry it in my wallet anyway. You never know when they want to nit pick about your info. We do transport restricted firearms quite often.

Last may I went through a check stop with a rifle case and 4 or 5 handgun cases in the back seat of my truck. The officer said "looks like you have a few firearms back there, make sure they stay in their cases." And that's all he mentioned about it. I'm sure if he wanted to be a jerk he could have found something i was doing wrong.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:43 PM

I always have my RPal in my wallet but when I get out of the vehicle to go hunt my wallet usually stays in the truck. I guess if hunting public land I should start packing it.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
i always carry my pal and this paper, but i honestly have no clue what this paper is about... does anyone here know what is this paper and why we should carry it (other than to be law-abiding citizens)? I mean what purpose does it serve?
Old 09-22-2020, 06:49 PM

Last year i left my wallet in the truck and went down to look for a doe that a friend of mine wounded... couldn't find it... on my way back to the truck F&W truck stopped by and i was maybe 30 yards from our truck... he asked me for my hunting license, i told him its right here in the truck... he came with me, checked my license and handed me a ticket for failing to carry a license while hunting!
i paid it, because it's the law, but i honestly think this guy could've been nicer... i was a few steps away from my truck and had all my docs...
Old 09-23-2020, 07:07 PM

Is the slip of paper for rpal only?
Old 09-24-2020, 05:23 AM

I've always assumed you had to have PAL with you if out with firearms
Old 09-24-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhwight View Post
Is the slip of paper for rpal only?
I have it with my PAL... and I carry it around despite the fact that I don’t know what purpose it serves... just following the instructions that were sent with my PAL last time I renewed it
Old 09-04-2020, 09:11 AM

If you are lending a gun to someone, either they have to have a PAL or you have to be with them, as in right beside them, they cannot go by themselves or take it home with them, or have it in a separate vehicle with them while scouting, nothing new about that. CO's are now part of the Sherriff's dept, and now have same OP's as police, which they didn't have before, along with the same ROE's. And if you take a gun out of the house, you are supposed to have your PAL and the restrictions slip that came with it, with you, that part is nothing new.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I see the word possession in there somewhere....kinda sums it up to what is legally required.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-06-2020, 12:28 AM

I sometimes leave the house without my drivers license... but never my PAL
Old 01-18-2021, 10:37 AM

Better to have it and not need than the opposite. This other thing is trigger locking your rifle whilst in your possession.

Yes I know what you are thinking but I stood in the cold trying to explain to an over zealous RCMP officer while raking me over the coals for not locking up my rifle.

My unloaded hunting rifle was in my possession in a normal soft gun bag in the back seat of my truck and I am driving home, no driving infractions, wearing camo and I get pulled over.

Finally at my request she called her supervisor and in a minute I was on my way....There is 2 hours I'll never get back.

I am not going to debate the law with someone clearly not informed. Easier to carry my PAL and a trigger lock.

Oh, and finally, change out of your camo jacket when driving home.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I am not going to debate the law with someone clearly not informed. Easier to carry my PAL and a trigger lock.

IMO, wrong on so many levels.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Better to have it and not need than the opposite. This other thing is trigger locking your rifle whilst in your possession.

Yes I know what you are thinking but I stood in the cold trying to explain to an over zealous RCMP officer while raking me over the coals for not locking up my rifle.

My unloaded hunting rifle was in my possession in a normal soft gun bag in the back seat of my truck and I am driving home, no driving infractions, wearing camo and I get pulled over.

Finally at my request she called her supervisor and in a minute I was on my way....There is 2 hours I'll never get back.

Sorry but I will not put on a trigger lock for transportation just for the sake of RCMP officers that do not know the transportation laws. I will be respectful and go through the paces so the officers learns even if it costs me 2hrs. I actually used to carry a copy of the transport laws for that very reason

Obey the laws and be respectful when talking to an officer I believe in but bending to poor interpretation of the law just means that officer may wrongfully charge a legal firearms owner or confiscate their firearms. I actually know someone who had to recover their rifle from the station because an officer did not know the transportation laws

If you are concerned carrying a copy of the transportation laws in your glove box

I had to Google it last year for a F&W officer who thought I needed a trigger lock. Cost me a little time but that was it. The conversation stayed respectful the whole time