Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-03-2018, 03:12 PM

Default Garmin Bow sight

Haven’t seen a topic on this yet. Thoughts? I’ve seen a couple videos of guys sighting them in and I have to say they look slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2018, 05:43 PM

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10929...efinding-sight
Old 11-03-2018, 06:49 PM

I was toying with the idea of trying one, but after paying attention to how the sight might function in this seasons weather I know it is not for me. Half of the time I couldnt keep my sight clear of snow enough to see my pin, let alone try to keep a lens filled housing useable. I hunted in lots of rain too, I dont think it would fare well in that, especially knowing how lenses and rain dont mix in the target archery game!

Just my opinion though!

Norm
Old 11-03-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I was toying with the idea of trying one, but after paying attention to how the sight might function in this seasons weather I know it is not for me. Half of the time I couldnt keep my sight clear of snow enough to see my pin, let alone try to keep a lens filled housing useable. I hunted in lots of rain too, I dont think it would fare well in that, especially knowing how lenses and rain dont mix in the target archery game!

Just my opinion though!

Norm
Exactly my thoughts as well. This kind of thing might be good down in the southern states but I don't see it being fit for Alberta.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Just my opinion though!

Norm

Valid points Norm, electronics and Alberta winters aren’t usually a good combination.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky View Post
Valid points Norm, electronics and Alberta winters aren’t usually a good combination.

For me the bigger concern would be the glass or plastic in the sight itself. I think it would be impossible to keep the snow and rain off of, so it would be tough to be able to see out if it properly. I've used (or tried to) use lenses outside in the rain and it is all bad. I think the snow would collect in it too.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2018, 01:50 PM

I'm not sure how it's playing out, or if it has already but Burris is attempting to take Garmin to court for patent infringement. Apparently Burris had a patent on the range-finding bow sight already.
Just something to consider as the Garmin may become a thing of the past before it really has a chance to take off...

Complaint filing

Besides that, I think I prefer Burris' offering over Garmins.....
Old 11-04-2018, 04:20 PM

I’m still trying to talk myself into a single pin sight....old fella who doesn’t like change
Old 11-04-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Just my opinion though!

Norm
All this plus the $1,000 price tag here

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2018, 10:48 PM

Default Garmin

I think sticking to pins is the way to go. Hunting in rain or snow is going to cause headaches with that thing
Old 11-29-2018, 04:12 PM

Had one for about a month,, lots of issues good for target bad for hunting