Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Banned

Default Tree Stand Fall Arrest

Hello, I'm new to bowhunting and tree stands but not hunting in general.

I just put up a Hawk hang on stand and was wondering what everyone uses for a GOOD fall arrest system. The whole stand cost $150, including the harness. I think my life is worth more than $150 so I'm wondering what you guys use to keep safe.

I've read on archerytalk that guys use rock climbing harnesses. Anyone here use them? What about a rope grab system? Can ascend up freely but any sudden falls it'll stop you. At least in my experience with rock climbing indoors.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:19 AM

I use one of the Hunter's Safety System harnesses - cost a bit over $100. It's a bit heavy, but it is super quick to put on and adjust, and it is comfortable. I don't see it on their web site anymore, but the closest approximation would be their Hanger Harness.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the lineman's loops don't have rings in them, they are just loops of webbing - which is true for most hunting harnesses. When I'm climbing a tree and constantly clipping/unclipping the lineman's belt when traversing branches, it can be a pain.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:17 AM

It’s good to get the best harness you can find, I like my linesman’s harness others like other harnesses. The big thing to understand is the (any) harness is used to keep you from falling out of the stand ...not to stop you half way to the bottom. Keep your tether short as possible and above your head. Best is to use a safety rope with a Prusic loop... YouTube is your friend for that one.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 AM

Yes, Yes, YES!!

Get a good comfortable harness, and then use it!

However, most people do not understand that the falls happen when stepping off and on the stand itself.

Most likely you will be on a big poplar tree, and the bark is smooth as glass when frosty or frozen.

I welded up a number of "D" Rings bent out of rebar, onto a 4" x" 5/8" Lag bolt, which I use as handles.

You need TWO of these handles screwed in just above the seat, one facing away from the seat facing in the direction of the last peg, one facing towards the seat, and both above the height of your head when sitting.

These are what you grab hold of when stepping on or stepping off. You always want 3 points of contact, so both hands on a handle, one foot on the peg or ladder. Something goes wrong, you can hold on and regain your footing.

I have not found anything like these handles for sale. Why I do not know. Once you have grabbed onto a handle to make the step across, you will understand the extra safety they provide when using a hanging stand.

You still need a harness, and you still need to wear the harness and set the strap short enough to stop a fall.

Next problem is finding real pegs that you can use when you wear heavy winter boots. Most pegs on the market are too narrow and too slippery.

Drewski
Old 09-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Banned

Great responses, thanks guys.

I found the Hunter Safety System on Amazon.ca w/prime so I'm definitely interested in that.

As for the D-ring handles, also a great idea. I currently have ameri-step pegs, and yeah on and off the stand is where I feel most sketched out. I put all the pegs and the stand on without any fall arrest but as soon as I stood on that stand I knew I needed a restraint.

I'm also going to build 1 or 2 steps to help with getting on and off out of angle iron and grating.

Does anyone have any photos of their anchor points? Lagged into the tree or just a belt?

BTW this is in a spruce tree, not sure if that matters. I know they're rougher than poplar.

In my mind I picture a should leash anchored to the tree above my head that clips to the harness. Above the head of course so there's less distance to fall, if any. I just know industrial fall arrest anchor points are good for 3600-5000lbs of force and I look at trees and wonder what they could hold.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:57 AM

I tie the teacher around the tree with a bowline (add a stopper knot just to be sure) lag bolts can pull out, branches can break so I don’t trust them. Tree stands can break too and as mentioned gettin onto your “steel platform of cold and misery” is the most likely time to fall.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:10 AM

There are strap-on handles available commercially, for instance, the PowerGrab:

They also have a PowerStep product, which clamps onto continuous tree sticks:

I thought I had seen something like this as a strap-on version - I'll see if I can find it.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:12 AM

As for steps, I took 1/2" square SOLID bar stock, cut it about 1 foot long, heated it up and bent a 90 with about 3 inches off the bend and welded the head of a lag bolt 4" long. Right now I cannot remember the size of the lag I used???

I gave about 7 inches for the horizontal, then heated up the end and turned it up as a "stop" so you could not slip off. Then I took traction tape like you use on stairs, cut it in strips and wrapped it like a candy cane. Just make sure all the oil is off the bar stock, and wrap it in warm conditions so the sticky adhesive grabs the bar stock.

i did weld a gusset or build up on the inside of the 90 bend, as the metal thins out where it is bent aggressively.

These steps weigh a ton, and are meant to stay in place in the tree.

They do turn in pretty easy, but you have to take a knife point and gouge a starter hole for the lag to go into.

Make sure you go into the center of the trunk, and not at an angle. You are trying to make sure it will not pull out.

Drewski
Old 09-24-2018, 11:56 AM

I use hunter safety system ultra lite.
Depending on your size I have one for sale in the archery section, i ended up ordering a 2nd one that was more to my body frame.

I like it, I think it’s comfy, it has padded shoulder straps which is great
Old 09-24-2018, 12:35 PM

I don't think i'd use my climbing harness as they don't have shoulder straps, if you fall out head first you keep going. I've used fall arrests with a linesman harness and the climbing harness, the arrest is much more comfortable from the back Dloop as opposed to the front crotch loop on a climbing harness.

Think about how you fall from your stand a climbing harness is a bad idea.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:47 PM

I used a piece of tubular webbing to create a self tightening anchor a few feet above my head. The climbing rope was then clipped through a carabiner on the anchor point. The rope was adjusted so one side of the tail just just long enough to allow me to sit in the stand. The other tail reached all the way to the ground to allow me to rappel out of the stand. This way I could be clipped into a rope at all times. I used a standard rock climbing harness and a grigri to descend the rope.
I would highly suggest you use TWO locking carabiners at your anchor point. Don't make the same mistake I did. Give this thread a read as well.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=149699

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-24-2018, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I used a piece of tubular webbing to create a self tightening anchor a few feet above my head. The climbing rope was then clipped through a carabiner on the anchor point. The rope was adjusted so one side of the tail just just long enough to allow me to sit in the stand. The other tail reached all the way to the ground to allow me to rappel out of the stand. This way I could be clipped into a rope at all times. I used a standard rock climbing harness and a grigri to descend the rope.
I would highly suggest you use TWO locking carabiners at your anchor point. Don't make the same mistake I did. Give this thread a read as well.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=149699
Thanks for the thread.

Do you have a picture of your set up?
Old 09-25-2018, 08:32 AM

I dont have a pic but I should be able to rig up a mock up sometime tomorrow evening.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-25-2018, 01:43 PM

Similar to he rock climbing set up, my old man uses a retractable lanyard. He has a thin rope attached to it to pull it down and hook up before he climbs up the tree. Best method in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I dont have a pic but I should be able to rig up a mock up sometime tomorrow evening.
That would be awesome, thanks. Trying to figure out the anchor point is the biggest hurdle for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
Similar to he rock climbing set up, my old man uses a retractable lanyard. He has a thin rope attached to it to pull it down and hook up before he climbs up the tree. Best method in my opinion.
I like that idea, used those a bunch on site but the industrial ones are noisy, do you know the particular one he uses?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
What's the brand of the retractable lanyard? I've been looking for one for a couple years and haven't found any since Spyder stopped making them.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:48 PM

On my climber I've got a webbing belt that came with my gear. On my two hang-on stands I've tied 10mm static up top, double wrap with a bowline, then I'm using an 8mm prussik on the way up, then double beiner myself on. The second holds my pack and makes a handy backup. I'll shoot a picture later in the week.

I've thought about swapping my prussik for a climber/ascender but I'm cheap for the moment. I've seen it take a bit of a fall for a prussik to wrap around the lines, but I'm also insanely cautious up there and check my gear often for worn bolts and rust.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:40 AM

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-only?a=474779

Look around you might find it cheaper somewhere else this is just a link I found
Model; FallGuy superior 20+.
My dad has his going on 4yrs now. Still quiet and smooth.We take them down at the end of the season to try and improve its life.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:46 PM

I looked on my lunch break, I think the fallguy has went out of busn. Here is a similar product that I found when I did a quick search.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...stem?a=2183726
Old 09-26-2018, 08:29 PM

Thanks Capper! I'm gonna check those out.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I work a half day tomorrow so I will go to MEC and see if I can get some tubular webbing, carabiners and then make an anchor out of that. (gonna read up on some climbing knots on REI's website.

I'll order the Hunter Safety Systems harness off of Amazon and a lifeline. I'd rather be clipping in twice (like at work 100% tie off).

I'll use my el-cheapo harness for now.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Banned

I don't know how to post pictures but this weekend I welded up a step out of angle iron, grating and rebar. I used 2 lag bolts to put it in the tree, 6" x 12" perfect for on and off of the stand.

I also bought some 8mm rope from MEC and tied 2 figure 8 knots in it and tripled wrapped it around the tree for an anchor (I made it too long I guess so triple wrapped it is). I have a Hunter Safety System ultra-light harness coming in black (can't stand real-tree or mossy oak or whatever they call it.)

I think I'm set as far as the stand is concerned. I figure I could probably make my own lifeline with a prussik knot too after watching the HSS video on it.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 PM

Default i use a rock harness

I know you placed the order but amazon returns everything.

I've taken big falls on climbing harnesses and i prefer them to the stupid nut cruncher harnesses you buy for hunting. i wouldn't trust those in a fall and certainly not in a situation where I'm alone.

Advantages are many but the main one - in the event of a fall... the pressure from the leg straps is on the back of your legs - not on the inside of the leg, which is very dangerous.

Another advantage, if you fall you are likely facing the tree which makes it easier to get back in the stand.

you can rig up a very nice harness, lineman's belt, and all your tethers with climbing gear for the same price as a "hunting" harness. look into it. I'm not sure where you are but I'd be happy to show you my setup if you're around calgary.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:04 AM

I personally just use the one that comes with the stand (shoulder harness) for hunting, that being said I have a full body one for hanging the stand. My experience is that you’re most likely to fall while hanging the stand or getting in so that’s where I focus my efforts to give myself plenty of footholds and handholds to get in. Having those last few good handholds to get in is key as trees can be slick or branches can break.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post

I've taken big falls on climbing harnesses and i prefer them to the stupid nut cruncher harnesses you buy for hunting. i wouldn't trust those in a fall and certainly not in a situation where I'm alone.

Advantages are many but the main one - in the event of a fall... the pressure from the leg straps is on the back of your legs - not on the inside of the leg, which is very dangerous.

Another advantage, if you fall you are likely facing the tree which makes it easier to get back in the stand.

you can rig up a very nice harness, lineman's belt, and all your tethers with climbing gear for the same price as a "hunting" harness. look into it. I'm not sure where you are but I'd be happy to show you my setup if you're around calgary.
I also use a climbing harness. Use what your comfortable, safe and confident with
Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 AM

Default Beware

One other thing to keep in mind is to visually check your tie down straps that secure your stand to the tree. I had two ratchet straps that squirrels had chewed halfway through the strap. I wonder what their intentions were????
Old 10-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Banned

I'm SW of Edmonton

I'd be interested to see these rock climbing harness set ups
Old 10-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post

I'm not in Calgary but would still be interested to see your set up. I found the HSS harness a little uncomfortable while wearing my bino harness but I figured I could deal with that in the name of safety but I'm open minded and yes after multiple fall arrest courses I know the leg straps can sever your balls if you don't have it set up properly lol
Old 10-10-2018, 08:16 AM

Quick tip: carry black tape and give a wrap to any buckle or clip that may “sqeak , clink or pop” when you finaly draw on a wise ol whitetail ...😬
Old 10-12-2018, 01:21 PM

!