Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2021, 10:48 AM
Banned

Default School me on bed liners

What is everyone using for bed liners these days? Are the spray on style more reliable than they used to be? Truck is a Colorado Zr2 with the 5ft box and I have a hard tonneau for it. Not going to be hauling around much but I’d like to have at least some protection for the paint.

I imagine this could go about as well as asking which 6.5mm cartridge is the best but I haven’t owned a pickup in a long while so I’m having trouble deciding.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:53 AM

Default Liner

I prefer the sprayed on product.other people will probably have other products they prefer.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:54 AM

If you are not hauling much and dragging stuff in and out daily - I'd say find out who is closest and cheapest of the "big brands" Rhino, LineX, Armagaurd whatever ...all the products out there are so much better than they were 10-15 years ago.

I do a "moderate" amount and have usually had it done through dealer (and they use the typical big brands from above) and had ZERO issues - even hauling rock and demolition materials.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:59 AM

For a bed liner, the spray ins give good protection, and aren't as slippery. The drop ins are slippery, and water can get trapped under them, leading to rust, especially if the liner rubs the paint long enough. A rubber bed mat is the least slippery, but doesn't protect the sides of the box.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For a bed liner, the spray ins give good protection, and aren't as slippery. The drop ins are slippery, and water can get trapped under them, leading to rust, especially if the liner rubs the paint long enough. A rubber bed mat is the least slippery, but doesn't protect the sides of the box.

Some guys at work have had the drop in liners in their box and water got in behind. Started to rust up bad.

I have a rhino guard on mine. Been about 9 years since I've had it done and it's still holding up just as good.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:13 PM

I’ve beat the absolute crap out of all my Line-x spray on bed liners. Never had an issue. Rocks, lumber, logs, dirt bikes, quads and everything in between. Never even a chip.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:17 PM

Default Linex

I'm with Vinny on this one. Had great success with Linex over the years. They take a beating and spray off nice when they get dirty. Been about 7 years with this last one.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:37 PM

If you aren't hauling a lot and have a hard tonneau cover, you may not need a bed liner. I have the same 5' box and trifold hardcover setup on my new Tacoma, and I just went with the rubber mat. $125 from the dealer, and nothing slides around on it. It stays dry in there with cover on it so rusting under mat shouldn't be an issue. Unless you have your heart set, then get a good spray on.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-29-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Not to mention the drop ins build up static and you shouldn't transport jerry cans in them supposedly.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:20 PM

Line X. Don’t even bother with anything else.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Line X. Don’t even bother with anything else.
The installer is more important than the brand name.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
The installer is more important than the brand name.
Installers have to be licensed by Line-X as it’s a franchise.

Just wondering Swami if you have a guy???

LOL

But Elk is right, Rhino would serve you equally well. They do so many of them that I wouldn’t worry which shop I went to. I had one done in Wetaskiwin and another done in the city. They were both perfect.

Phone the dealership where you bought your truck and ask them who they use easy peasy.

Last edited by sns2; 10-29-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Installers have to be licensed by Line-X as it’s a franchise.

Just wondering Swami if you have a guy???

LOL
Most are franchises, they don't all prep the same, and some are more skimpy with the product than others, especially with the recent product shortages, that had some installers shutting down periodically. The best installer will vary with the location, so I would add a location if I wanted input on the best installer. I had a great installer in FortMcMurray, but I haven't had a truck bed done in many years.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:30 PM

Bed liner or not, a rubber bed mat is just about worth its weight in gold in my opinion.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federal View Post
I'm with Vinny on this one. Had great success with Linex over the years. They take a beating and spray off nice when they get dirty. Been about 7 years with this last one.
I have an '03 ZR2 (18 yrs old) with a Linex spray in done before the previous owner took delivery brand new, still holding up real well 300,000KM's later and I use my truck as a truck, there's always something back there bouncing around.

It dosen't seem to be affected by chemical leaks either, I keep my dirtbike back there most of the summer and it leaks gas and oil, sometimes pretty heavy after a hard ride and it just washes right out.

I couldn't see ever owning a truck that didnt have one, money well spent.

Again, JMHO, YMMV.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:09 PM

I had linex in my last truck and liked it. The truck I have now came with a sprayed-in liner but it is real slippery, even when dry. Don’t like that at all, touch the brakes and everything hits the front of the box.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Bed liner or not, a rubber bed mat is just about worth its weight in gold in my opinion.
Same, I have a spray on factory liner and a rubber bed mat. with the mat things don't slide around, the dont bang and rattle in the box, its easier on your knees if you have crawl around a little in there. I would absolutely always go with both
Old 10-30-2021, 08:12 AM

Used to use the plywood bed liners. Worked well for heavily used trucks. Went to the Rhino spray on when I bought my 96 new. Never had a moments issue. Ordered the new truck with the Factory sprayed on liner. I have never put a rubber bed mat in my trucks but after reading the comments I might just try one for the easier on the knees bit.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:49 AM

My new F150 came with a factory spray in liner, the liner is thin, doesn't cover the edges of the tailgate. and is slippery compared to my previous liners, I would never have another factory liner. I actually purchased a rubber mat, because I wasn't happy about having everything sliding around in the box.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Spray in and then I got a drop in on top of it....I actually use the heck out of my truck for literally everything....it is well maintained, used but not abused.

The tailgate is my work bench.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-30-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
My new F150 came with a factory spray in liner, the liner is thin, doesn't cover the edges of the tailgate. and is slippery compared to my previous liners, I would never have another factory liner. I actually purchased a rubber mat, because I wasn't happy about having everything sliding around in the box.
Where do you buy rubber mats?
Old 10-30-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Where do you buy rubber mats?
I bought mine directly from Ford, good product and cheaper than many aftermarket mats.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:10 PM
Banned

Line x
Old 10-30-2021, 01:16 PM

Maybe I am the only one with an old guy truck. I don't haul any big greasy items anymore except for game. Topper with the bedrug box liner. I could sleep in that dang thing. lol
Old 11-01-2021, 10:28 AM
Banned

I appreciate everyone’s help! I think I’m going to get a stall mat in there for now and see how it goes. Ultimately it looks like LineX would be a good choice but there’s a couple other things I’m going to get done first. I think the winch I have now id a no go and the bumper comes setup for a $2k Warn, that’s gonna hurt.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:32 AM

I'm a little late to this, but when you are ready for a liner I'd strongly suggest LineX brand. I've had some other brands installed by dealerships when I purchased trucks and they have never stood up like the LineX brand.

A rubber bed mat under a cover is a great option too.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Not to mention the drop ins build up static and you shouldn't transport jerry cans in them supposedly.
not to mention those plastic liners are murder on the knees, it's a dramatic difference in comfort
Old 11-01-2021, 07:18 PM

This is a line-x bed liner it's been in the box of this truck for 16 years, and that pick up hasn't spent one day in a garage, when clean it looks like the day I had it done

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk