Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 12:10 AM

If too many people insist on fishing very thin ice, and run into rescue issues because of that, then expect the government to ban ice fishing until... December 15?... January 1?...could vary from lake to lake I suppose, recognizing that big lakes like Cold Lake freeze much later than small lakes. But expect it to have a much bigger safety margin than most responsible angers are keen on.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:19 AM

Every November for the last 10 years I watch closely to see if any creeks freeze with clear ice. It is amazing to skate a creek with >2" of ice. The feeling in wonderous.

I have skated on Wabamun with a few inches of clear ice. No way you would catch any fish, they can see you very easily.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/i...ds-d_1566.html
Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 AM

I might be crazy for fishin thin ice but skating on thin ice is the ultimate death wish. Jump in a swimming pool with a pair of skates on and see how that goes.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:31 PM

Default Ice safety chart

Actually the govt does have a chart that lists ice thickness for safe travel . Google is your friend .
Old 11-18-2018, 12:14 AM

4 or five inches of good solid ice is good for a quad and will hold about 1500 pounds and to fish on,10 to 12 for truck,25 inches for a dump truck and 36 inches for a pulp truck loaded.This is solid blue ice,not slush frozen in layers.Air holes can pop up on any lake so if water is present in the snow becareful,of open large air holes.

This is on a normal lake with no large spings or current,if you have moving water under the ice stay off it until it's really thick,it can change over night.

If you don't know the deep spot in some lakes like the middle of a large trout lake,ice thick ness will be slower coming in due the warmer water that takes long to cool off.

If the average dept of a lake is almost the same all along then the ice will be the same over the whole lake near the shore,looks dumb.but works very well.

Plus for what it's worth buy a floater suit and some ice pics,or pull a 14 foot boat on thiner ice and fish tied up to the boat,i do this on rotten ice in the spring on deep trout lakes.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:24 PM

i think this situation falls under the darwin category ..