Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Default Purchased a 12' Zodiac. Questions

Went a ordered online a 12' Zodiac Typhoon with wood floors. It was a toss up between that and a 14' model with aluminum floors.

I wonted something to take the kids on the water that could fold down small and was safe/stable, this seemed to fit the bill.

I have a 9.9 gas motor for it but was hoping my 32 thrust electric motor would move that 140lbs boat around ok since I prefer the electric over the gas.

I'm second guessing by 12' purchase over the 14' for lack of floor space but was unsure if a trolling motor would be able to move the 180lbs 14'

Any Zodiac owners out there?
Does anyone have any opinions or pointers?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Default Zodiac space

I have a futura mark 3 hd with aluminum floors and I find it small sometimes with gear and 3 guys fly casting. Kids take up less room but it depends what kind of gear or seating you setup. I use a 55 lb electric and in moderate wind it does not cut it. I wished I had a 70 or 80 lb thrust somedays. They make seats that attach to the pontoons and you sit on the side and that frees up some room. I also use a big cooler for the passengers to sit in and I store the boat safety gear and fishing stuff that I want to keep dry. I have a rowing frame on mine maybe it takes up too much room but sure is handy on the river. Bigger may be better but it depends on what water you plan on fishing, small lakes and ponds. They are safe and great boats to get you out on the water.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:36 AM

I have a 3.8m Quicksilver Heavy duty. There is nothing better for stabilty. Im trying to figure out how to mount a solar panel rig to charge a 70# thrust electric. Kids can move around freely in a boat like that.