Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 12:00 PM

Default Looking for advice on my first hunting bow

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times in one form or other, but I have some individual considerations that might affect the responses, and the search function here isn't great anyway.

After several years of rifle hunting, I've decided it's time to get a compound bow for hunting and start learning to shoot it. I'm hoping for some advice on what to get, whether I should go for a package or individual components, and how much money I should look to spend to ensure that I don't need to upgrade any time soon. I definitely subscribe to the "buy it nice or buy it twice" philosophy, but I don't want to spend three grand either. I'd like to get a sense for the price range above which there is a point of diminishing returns.

I'm left eye dominant so am looking for something left-handed. I also have an old injury in the elbow of my right arm which isn't too painful but it does prevent me from extended that arm to a perfectly straight position. Besides that, while I am not a weakling, I don't consider myself extremely strong in the upper body. Considering these things, do I want to prioritize a smooth draw, greater adjustability in draw weight, or any other such things?

Also interested in any other advice or thoughts on the matter.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:56 AM

The quick and easy answer to this is head to a JimBows or other quality archery shop. NOT a big box store but an archery specialty shop.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 05-19-2021, 12:23 PM

Shoot many and buy the one that fits and is comfortable
Old 05-19-2021, 01:57 PM

I found the package on my bow was good to start, but realized that it was mostly junk.

You would be better off buying a bare bow and then putting whatever rest, sight, quiver etc you want on it.

Or if buying used, someone most likely has done this already.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
The quick and easy answer to this is head to a JimBows or other quality archery shop. NOT a big box store but an archery specialty shop.
+1

That said, I've only been shooting compound archery since 2014 and while, from what I've observed, the technology seems to have plateaued on the speed side of things; manufacturers seem to be catering towards adjustability and tunability, which don't necessarily sacrifice performance, the way that they used to.

Set a budget, shoot a bunch of different bows and buy the one you like the most.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:23 PM

Just get a giant slingshot
Old 06-05-2021, 01:30 AM

The good thing is majority of mid ranged hunting bows are "smooth drawing and adjustable".
Keep the Ibo speeds below 340 and you'll have yourself a very fine drawing bow.
The Mathews no cam was a 320fps Ibo and though it was considered "slow" for today's standards; there is a a cult following since it's so smooth and easy to shoot.
I was recently at Jim-Bows trying out a few different flag ships to upgrade fr my current bow.

For bows that stood out to me as smooth drawing, prime nexus, bowtech solution, and mathews v3 were at the top of my list.
Biggest thing would be for YOU to go in and try them - don't take anyone's word without a grain of salt.
Hopefully we can point you in a somewhat proper direction.
As for your hurt elbow, "proper" form requires a slight bend at the elbow so you are not fully extending you arm.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:48 AM
Banned

I know Bowtech had a DLX version of their packaged Carbon Icon. That seems to be discontinued for 2021, but it had a good drop away rest and a pretty good sight on it. It definitely made.it worth the extra few bucks that it was selling for.

I just picked up a bow again after a couple years off. My last bow was a Hoyt, my current bow is a Diamond Carbon Deploy. Honestly, I don't like it as much as my Hoyt, but it was also $1000 cheaper. And I don't think my Hoyt shot $1000 better. But that's just my opinion, everyone will think different on that.
Go shoot at the shops, get their recommendations, but try a few different bows.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:37 AM
Banned

Just looking around and I ran across this link below. Even though they have discontinued the Icon, they have brought in the Zion. Black Gold sight, Ripcord rest, Tightspot Quiver. Those three items alone are worth the extra jump from the RAK package that Bowtech offers. If you like the box that is.

https://www.canadaarcheryonline.com/...nd-bow-package
Old 06-06-2021, 06:34 PM

The bow shop advice is what I would recommend as well. Everyone has different body shape and strength and shooting the bows are the only way to find out what is most comfortable for you. If there is any extra cost over a store that sells them as a sideline the cost of having things right and know you are getting good advice is worth it.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:52 PM

Bow shop and try em

Prime, Hoyt, Mathews, APA all worth a shot

With upper body injuries I would stick to 60 lbs and 80% or higher let off, especially when you are in the shop trying things. Easy to get sore or hurt if you are over bowed, and dang hard to be accurate.