Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2021, 09:38 AM

Default Mastodon/Mammoth

I didn't want to derail the Sasquatch thread, so here's another critter that was thought to be extinct 10,000 years ago. Following is an article on it.

From the pages of the encyclopedias we are apt to read that mastodons and mammoths were ancient relatives of today’s elephants which have been extinct for about 10,000 years. This has been accepted by virtually all the “experts” today and consequently is taught at all levels of education.

There are other experts, however, who suggest that these great creatures have been extinct for not more than a few hundred years. Many of these experts are historians who have read accounts of these creatures in historical records. One such historian is the popular novelist, Louis L’Amour. In his book, Jubal Sackett, Mr. L’Amour included an account of killing a mastodon close to 1700. When challenged on the point, he defended his position in the February, 1987, issue of The Western Horseman. After giving several historical records of mastodons and mammoths in North America, he writes:

The best story of the mastodon, though, is in the ethnographic records of the Smithsonian Institute. They tell about the Ponca Indians, who lived in the vicinity of Yankton, S.D., who used to make what they called The Long Hunt. . . On one of these trips, perhaps the last one and it couldn’t have been earlier than the 1600s and it very likely was in the 1700s this happened, they killed a mastodon near Niobrara, Nebraska.

They tell about it, and not only that, they knew him well enough to have a name for him – his name was pasnuta, which in Ponca means “long nose.”. . .

Not only the mastodon, they killed something else, they only describe, which had to be a giant ground sloth (supposedly extinct at the time).

If scientists would consult historians, they may be surprised that many creatures they believe are “prehistoric” may really have existed in the known past. We should not discount valid written documents merely because they tend not to agree with our preconceived ideas. Historians, which have often been disregarded by “scientists,” certainly have a great deal to offer.

by Dave Nutting
Old 03-31-2021, 09:57 AM

Wink But...what if 97% of the scientists agree?

Those stories are anecdotal, there's no grant money available to study them.
Besides, they must have experienced it differently.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-31-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Those stories are anecdotal, there's no grant money available to study them.
Besides, they must have experienced it differently.
You hit the nail on the head. Science is all about money. If there are no grants available, then it's just easier to stick to the original theory, and discredit the source.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:19 AM

Apparently, mammoths were still living on Wrangel island up to around 4,000 years ago so there is not an exact consensus on when they actually went extinct.

Charles Darwin reported finding a partial decomposing hide of a giant ground sloth along the coast of South America as late as the 1830's. He identified a lot of much older remains as well.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:19 AM

Default Evidence they may have lived up to 3000 years ago

Hi: In this episode of PBS Eons they say there is evidence the Wooly Mammoths roamed on Wrangell Island about 3000 years ago....at the same time that Eqypt was building pyramids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr0Ifw8TJVw

Hoopi
Old 03-31-2021, 10:42 AM

There also seems to be considerable evidence that giant Monitor lizards lived during the same period as human expansion.

Could this be where the tales and myths of Dragons comes from?
Old 03-31-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Science is all about money. If there are no grants available, then it's just easier to stick to the original theory, and discredit the source.
Should just pool all that grant money into a time machine .... they will have all the answers . .. in the mean time they can just ask google , Siri , Alexa .
Old 03-31-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
We should not discount valid written documents merely because they tend not to agree with our preconceived ideas.
Don't visit the Covid thread!!!!

I don't necessarily take to heart quite a bit of what those experts say. Too much:
"We know this fossil is 15,000 years old".
"How do you know that"?
"Because it was found in this rock layer which is 15,000 years old".
"Oh, well, how do you know the rock is 15,000 years old"?
"Because the fossil's we found in it are 15,000 years old".

Then there is the whole C-14 dating method that was determined to be questionable at best, which was used to date alot of these mammals in the first place.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:08 PM

I agree with you that they have walked the planet in the not too distant past. Too much out there of accounts of them to say otherwise. There was no internet then and people had no idea other than reporting what they saw, and no where are there accounts of those who wrote some of this was off their rocker on what they had seen from what I have run across. Not an expert on this but just from what reading I have, and stories heard passed down from earlier generations to family.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:20 PM
Banned

Considering Louis L’Amour's parents took him out of school at age 15, though a well known novelist I do not consider him an expert historian...not by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:58 PM

Someday one has to imagine they will clone a wholly mammoth from DNA derived from one of the frozen specimens.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-31-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Someday one has to imagine they will clone a wholly mammoth from DNA derived from one of the frozen specimens.
Might happen soon

https://www.dw.com/en/japanese-scien...oth/a-48063060
Old 03-31-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I hope it’s soon, I’d love to hunt one with the longbow...
Old 03-31-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Considering Louis L’Amour's parents took him out of school at age 15, though a well known novelist I do not consider him an expert historian...not by any stretch of the imagination.
Expert or not, he based his story on data from the Smithsonian as he related.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I hope it’s soon, I’d love to hunt one with the longbow...
Meh, I wouldn't bet on it... The first reintroduction would most likely be in Banff.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
And if the science shows that Indigenous Americans hunted mastodons, woolly mammoths and dozens of other species into extinction, no media outlet is willing to publish the data.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-31-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
And if the science shows that Indigenous Americans hunted mastodons, woolly mammoths and dozens of other species into extinction, no media outlet is willing to publish the data.
There are a lot of frozen buried mammoths, horses and other animals discovered in the northern hemisphere (Siberia, Canadian Arctic), so the overhunting theory doesn't seem plausible.

Current theories seem to point to some sort of global cataclysm, such as large comet, meteor strike(s) or maybe even earth crust slippage.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
There also seems to be considerable evidence that giant Monitor lizards lived during the same period as human expansion.

Could this be where the tales and myths of Dragons comes from?
Komodo dragons are still out there and dine on humans, given half a chance.

Grizz
Old 03-31-2021, 05:30 PM

A neighbor has a gold mine in the Yukon. He has a tusk that's 9 ft. long. They tried to pull a bigger one from the muck but broke it. This tusk had been 11 ft. long.
He said that they find 'islands' and explained that that's exactly what they were during the Ice Age. Higher ground with ice all around them. He explained that the many animal bones etc. that they find on these 'islands' are smaller in the most recent strata layer, and as the gene pool was isolated, the stranded species became smaller.
When they would find one of these 'islands' they would take what they wanted and cover it over again so the authorities wouldn't come in and stop their gold operation.
He had a prehistoric bison skull complete with the horn sheaths, and most of the hide. Things buried in the mud were well preserved. The bison skull was huge.
He gave me some nice oxidized nuggets.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Expert or not, he based his story on data from the Smithsonian as he related.
Sorry, still doesn’t hold. The Smithsonian is relating ethnographic records from the Pocna Indians...ethnographic means ‘as related by individuals’, that’s all. So basically all the Smithsonian has done is relate and record what at best would be considered folklore.
If it had really happened it is more or less impossible that this one mammoth had appeared out of thin air...and if there were more of them there would be remains to be found.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:17 PM

Just a simple google search and this Dave Nutting fellow seems to be big in creationism. So that’s a bad start already. The thought that mammoths pretty much went extinct 10000 years ago except for that isolated population in Siberia is a HUGE problem with his world view. Obviously he is probably going to be searching for anything to the contrary.

I think it would be cool as beans if it was true but there is not a shred of evidence to even explore the possibility. I’m sure someone who has specialized in the field of North American megafauna would be able to come up with a dozen reasons pretty quickly why mammoths walking in the present day USA a few hundred years ago has no merit.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:32 PM

How long ago something lived, is absolutely EASY to determine with C14 and/or accelerator mass spectrometry.

There should be ZERO discussion here. Bring in the sample and run it.

Facts and Evidence tell the REAL story here.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:33 PM

Double Post ............ the Russian Hackers are at it again.......
Old 03-31-2021, 06:46 PM

I want to know that Jack O'Connor smoked one with his Model 70 .270 and unless that happens I'm going with science.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Just a simple google search and this Dave Nutting fellow seems to be big in creationism. So that’s a bad start already. The thought that mammoths pretty much went extinct 10000 years ago except for that isolated population in Siberia is a HUGE problem with his world view. Obviously he is probably going to be searching for anything to the contrary.

I think it would be cool as beans if it was true but there is not a shred of evidence to even explore the possibility. I’m sure someone who has specialized in the field of North American megafauna would be able to come up with a dozen reasons pretty quickly why mammoths walking in the present day USA a few hundred years ago has no merit.
Ahh. The old the world is only 5000 years old so geological strata is not a measure of age.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-31-2021, 08:17 PM

Default What really happened to the mammoths

Old 03-31-2021, 09:00 PM

10000 years in what is now the arctic/ Siberia etc is my guess. I'm in the gold racket and the layers up that way are pretty fresh relatively speaking. Science is science but its just an educated guess when it goes back thousands of years. I've seen fossils and I've seen tusks etc and they haven't turned to rock they look very fresh and I believe the Siberians find the tusks and still sell privately to ivory carvers. Ivory carvers and stone carvers are 2 entirely different groups. I'm just speaking like a common man here, trust me I know the science and what they claim. But if you dig up a tusk its not millions of years old. Its like its been cut off and froze for awhile not turned into stone.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
10000 years in what is now the arctic/ Siberia etc is my guess. I'm in the gold racket and the layers up that way are pretty fresh relatively speaking. Science is science but its just an educated guess when it goes back thousands of years. I've seen fossils and I've seen tusks etc and they haven't turned to rock they look very fresh and I believe the Siberians find the tusks and still sell privately to ivory carvers. Ivory carvers and stone carvers are 2 entirely different groups. I'm just speaking like a common man here, trust me I know the science and what they claim. But if you dig up a tusk its not millions of years old. Its like its been cut off and froze for awhile not turned into stone.
The leg of an extinct Yukon horse of about the same vintage or older. A lot of this stuff turns up in Placer mining operations.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 03-31-2021 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:13 AM

https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/...the-dead-61686
Old 04-01-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post

I have no religious beleifs, nor scientific knowledge of the subject. Nor do I have any ulterior motive to post this. See remainder of my comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
How long ago something lived, is absolutely EASY to determine with C14 and/or accelerator mass spectrometry.

There should be ZERO discussion here. Bring in the sample and run it.

Facts and Evidence tell the REAL story here.
Agree to a point. Fact and data is what rules in the scientific world. But, here's something to ponder. Lets say for example that a small population of these animals did walk the earth 400 years ago. North America, except the Eastern sea board, was virtually uncharted and unknown. Any of these animals would've met their demise through natural causes, or predation/hunting. Any remains would be totally gone after a year or two in the natural environment. All science based knowledge is based upon samples and data that were entombed in ice, permafrost, or in tar pits. I have no doubt these are 10,000 years old. There would be no recent evidence they existed later than that, other than stories and tales told through generations. All I'm saying is, there is a very good chance that they did exist in very small remote areas. I can't discount it, nor can I corroberate it. I wasn't there.