Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 08:15 PM

Default WMU108 elk 2019

Does anyone know where the herd on the Ridge currently is?

Last edited by Jeff Hardy; 12-11-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:41 PM

Nice first post bud. My advice put in the effort to find them yourself. The things you will learn are irreplaceable
Old 12-11-2019, 09:23 PM

Oh we will! it's nice though, to have a ballpark of which direction to start out in; if you don't know the area, there are alot of ranches/farms of varying sizes and as many allowances(or not!) of access to hunt.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hardy View Post
Oh we will! it's nice though, to have a ballpark of which direction to start out in; if you don't know the area, there are alot of ranches/farms of varying sizes and as many allowances(or not!) of access to hunt.
If your in Calgary head south.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
So your plan was join a hunting forum and ask someone to tell you where they are?
Old 12-12-2019, 06:52 AM

Which herd ? Cow or bull?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 09:14 AM

Cow. Just looking to catch up to any herd up on the Milk River Ridge in WMU108.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Have you looked for them?

Get up high and glass. Drive roads and look for tracks.
It's transition time to winter range....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Elk move, subject to pressure. Any hints would be old information. Go find them.

Grizz
Old 12-12-2019, 09:42 AM

As hunters we are taught to use our resources. This forum is a resource (or at least supposed to be) and this guy is trying to use it. He isn't asking for the location of a 190+ ram or a 360 bull elk; just if anyone has information on a cow elk for meat.

I don't know his situation but it is tough times across Alberta right now and maybe he doesn't have the means to burn 2 tanks of fuel or do 18 scouting trips. If you have information then pass it along, if you don't, then move along. I've noted some of the names here saying burn the boot leather or get out and look. Lets hope you never ask for information on a hunt because I will be the first to tell you to pound pavement and burn the boot leather.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
As hunters we are taught to use our resources. This forum is a resource (or at least supposed to be) and this guy is trying to use it. He isn't asking for the location of a 190+ ram or a 360 bull elk; just if anyone has information on a cow elk for meat.

I don't know his situation but it is tough times across Alberta right now and maybe he doesn't have the means to burn 2 tanks of fuel or do 18 scouting trips. If you have information then pass it along, if you don't, then move along. I've noted some of the names here saying burn the boot leather or get out and look. Lets hope you never ask for information on a hunt because I will be the first to tell you to pound pavement and burn the boot leather.
Well said.
Personally I do pass on my info when I can via a PM.

To the OP I will be sending you a PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:08 AM

In 2015 I had pulled a high priority Antlered elk tag and was super excited to hunt the zones around Suffield. I had some help with landowner contacts from a great AO guy who contacted me out of the blue, gave me maps and intel, made my calls, secured permission.

Get to the east side and it is a wasteland, most elk were taken by FN a couple months prior at the request of the landowners. River had not froze across so elk were staging on the base side but not crossing over. I didn't ask for help, just noted the lack of game on the east side on a Suffield post. One AO guy who knew the zones messaged me and offered up to show me their "spot". I called him from my motel room in Burstall. My son and I took their offer and drove to meet them for noon the next day as they were going to be hunting as well.

These two strangers, who I now call friends, spent a good part of their day with us. Even got me on a nice 5x5, which I totally blew with Elk fever. Headed back home dejected but happy to be in a spot where the elk were.

The next week we were up again and during that week, one was giving me intel on the bulls they were seeing, the other met us for the last day of the tag and helped me get back on a bull we had followed all morning and with his help, I had him in the truck by days end.

I met 4 awesome AO guys because of that tag(one was a fellow hunter who also had the same tag and we shared intel). And they had no reason to help this stranger. But AO is good that way. I consider them friends now and I would help them in any way I can.

OP, good luck, I bet you will get your tip. AO is good that way.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post

I understand your thoughts. But first post by a fellow who just signed onto the board and he asks where are the Elk. Not can someone help me learn to find the Elk. Just where are the Elk. Any info he gets will be old news as Elk move many miles everyday sometimes. You will notice there are some hunters who need help and how they ask for it vs some hunters who just want things the easy way. If he asked for the simplest most cost effective way if finding the Elk he would probably get a different answer and possibly even good Intel as to the herds whereabouts.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:05 PM

There are a couple avenues of how to find the elk here. Many people seem to think these prairie elk are gonna be a slam dunk hunt. They are far from that.
These can be found in bunches across the unit but right now they have congregated a bit on the one ranch they call home. Its just gonna come down to going out and finding them. Its big country and if you dont have the means to walk it, and hunt it theres a means where you can get help. I believe this hunter knows what Im talking about. I have had a PM converstion with him in the past. A recent PM also sent but not answered. Hopefully he is out today and will have some luck.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:32 PM

In years past by this time in the season they would be mostly all south of the 501.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:59 PM

that's what I hear as well, most have moved south off the ridge and towards the US.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
that's what I hear as well, most have moved south off the ridge and towards the US.
Maybe some but there's still a large bunch here ...3 in fact ..PM sent to OP.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Elk move, subject to pressure. Any hints would be old information. Go find them.

Grizz
6 hrs ago isn't old info ..lol

Old 12-12-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Well said.
Personally I do pass on my info when I can via a PM.

To the OP I will be sending you a PM.
as will I if I can help