Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2021, 01:32 PM

Question Fishing 101 questions

Hi All,
I am new to the forum and new to fishing

I live in Calgary.

- Where is a good place to fish close to Calgary?
- What kind of fish is there?
- Can I keep the fish?
- I am also having a hard time knowing what bait to use on different water, any tips?

Thank you
Old 06-28-2021, 01:39 PM

Welcome to the forum and the world of fishing. Sorry, but I can't help you with fishing in the Calgary area. But you're going to need a fishing licence and here's a link to the regulations, which will provide you with some needed info.....
https://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
Old 06-28-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Welcome to the forum and the world of fishing. Sorry, but I can't help you with fishing in the Calgary area. But you're going to need a fishing licence and here's a link to the regulations, which will provide you with some needed info.....
https://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
Thank you
I got the license already
Old 06-28-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabil View Post
Thank you
I got the license already
Getting the license is the easy part. Now let's make sure your being legal

Do this...
Pick a body of water that is close to Calgary that you want to try
A simple google search usually tells you right away if there are fish there. Usually the answer is yes.
Now look up that water system in the regs. And see the regulations on it.
You can post on here what you think are the regulations for a stream or water body and we can help you.

Try it, if you have any questions fire away, or you can PM me and I can help. But once you realize how to do it for yourself your better off then just taking someone's word on the internet.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Getting the license is the easy part. Now let's make sure your being legal

Do this...
Pick a body of water that is close to Calgary that you want to try
A simple google search usually tells you right away if there are fish there. Usually the answer is yes.
Now look up that water system in the regs. And see the regulations on it.
You can post on here what you think are the regulations for a stream or water body and we can help you.

Try it, if you have any questions fire away, or you can PM me and I can help. But once you realize how to do it for yourself your better off then just taking someone's word on the internet.
Ok. I looked at the link on the second post, I picked Henderson Lake because it is 2 hours from Calgary
- open all year
- I can keep 3 NRPK
- 15 YLPR

Am I right here?

Also what is the best bait for these kind of fish? I am guessing Powerbair!
Old 06-28-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Ok. I looked at the link on the second post, I picked Henderson Lake because it is 2 hours from Calgary
- open all year
- I can keep 3 NRPK
- 15 YLPR

Am I right here?

Also what is the best bait for these kind of fish? I am guessing Powerbair!
Yes you are correct on THAT water body.

I always print off a copy of the regs for the area I am headed, that way if you see some place on the way to Henderson you can read the regs and figure out if you can fish it or not.

Also read or print off the general regulations that apply to all of Alberta, especially the limits section.

As for bait, its legal in THAT water body, but for northern pike I like to use lures, and spoons work great. Pike will hit something to eat it or because it annoys them. I have never used power bait for them.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Yes you are correct on THAT water body.

I always print off a copy of the regs for the area I am headed, that way if you see some place on the way to Henderson you can read the regs and figure out if you can fish it or not.

Also read or print off the general regulations that apply to all of Alberta, especially the limits section.

As for bait, its legal in THAT water body, but for northern pike I like to use lures, and spoons work great. Pike will hit something to eat it or because it annoys them. I have never used power bait for them.
Thanks a lot
i will try the lures and spoons
Old 06-28-2021, 03:13 PM

Default Fish

ifishalberta will give you the info you need for lakes and streams, it’s an app for your phone, and it’s free.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:39 PM

Always read the regs and follow them no matter what you hear from other fisherman and you will be good in this department

Like mentioned an Internet search will tell you what species is in a body of water

When it comes to fishing spots don’t get caught up on where people say to go fishing and just explore for yourself. Just because a place is popular doesn’t mean it’s awesome fishing

Being in Calgary explore east for pike/walleye and west for trout species. Or try the bow for trout and Glenmore for pike right in Calgary

Being new to fishing it takes time to figure it out and don’t assume a place is not good fishing just because you were did not catch fish your first try. Finding where the fish hang out in a body of water and what they want to bite is part of the challenge

When you are new to an area look for structure to target or cover water casting/trolling to find the fish
Old 06-29-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Always read the regs and follow them no matter what you hear from other fisherman and you will be good in this department

Like mentioned an Internet search will tell you what species is in a body of water

When it comes to fishing spots don’t get caught up on where people say to go fishing and just explore for yourself. Just because a place is popular doesn’t mean it’s awesome fishing

Being in Calgary explore east for pike/walleye and west for trout species. Or try the bow for trout and Glenmore for pike right in Calgary

Being new to fishing it takes time to figure it out and don’t assume a place is not good fishing just because you were did not catch fish your first try. Finding where the fish hang out in a body of water and what they want to bite is part of the challenge

When you are new to an area look for structure to target or cover water casting/trolling to find the fish
Thank you
I tried to fish at chain lake last year, I didn't catch a single fish, but I enjoyed the process and wanted to continue this year. We don't have much time for summer, and I want to do as much fishing as I can before summer ends. This coming Sunday, I am going to Henderson Lake and see what I get. wish me luck
Old 06-30-2021, 11:48 AM

I dont know if you realize that Henderson lake is right smack in downtown Lethbridge adjoining a golf course. Just sayin
Old 06-30-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell f View Post
I dont know if you realize that Henderson lake is right smack in downtown Lethbridge adjoining a golf course. Just sayin
Not sure what your getting at. Or just saying...
Old 06-30-2021, 01:29 PM

Well, everybody has their own opinion and I am just saying I wouldn't want to drive 2 hours to fish what is essentially a pond in the middle of one of the busiest parks in Lethbridge. If that's what he wants then there is also Nicolas Sheran on the west side. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell f View Post
Any opinion of any better place close to Calgary?
Old 07-01-2021, 12:46 PM

Default Fish

Load the ifishalberta app. On your phone, it will give you all the info you need, and more.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Any opinion of any better place close to Calgary?
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/be2e...eport-2021.pdf

Tags
fishing, fishing101