Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 AM

Default safety advices etc.

Hi Guys,
My brother pointed me to this spot to ask some experts, so here's my first post. I'm a 49 year German (Bavaria, to be precise ) and will be around Grande Prarie end of august visiting him - but also for two weeks Kakwa or Monkman or so. The idea is to combine adventure, self-finding, fishing (spin & fly), survival and quit smoking, driven from my best hiking experience (Jasper/Amethyst, chat and dance with a Grizzly).

Here's the point: I have no experience with black bears or cougars (but read the common general hints). Specifically I'm looking for some practical guide lines regarding cougar at dust/night/dawn or safety in my tent from your experiences. Also against aggressively approaching bears or stalking mountain cats. And so on - you likely know better the threats.

Any additions, like where to go, where to catch etc. are welcome and appreciated as well, of course.

Note that I'll have appropriate spray but I'm (likely) not alowed to carry a fire arm as tourist (a bow at best). However, it's not about comfort, just to prepare and minimize some risks. And yes, most likely I'm going to do this alone.

Many thanks in advance for your input and experience.
Chris
Old 05-26-2019, 10:04 AM

I don’t smoke but if I had to go somewhere to quit, it wouldn’t be Grande Prairie
Old 05-26-2019, 01:43 PM

Bring an air horn, bear spray and a satellite phone or a "spot" or similar. Bring stuff to light fires etc. Bug spray or netting etc. Go to sporting goods stores in GP and get "local advice". Have fun, should be an awesome trip and all the best luck to you quitting smoking. Many have quit and its always been a battle but a great one to win!
Old 05-26-2019, 01:52 PM

Ah, the naive German. You'd better do some more research what Canada , specifically the wilderness, is all about. Hier ist es nicht so wie die Deutschen glauben.

Grizz
Old 05-26-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Hier ist es nicht so wie die Deutschen glauben.
Here it is not as the Germans believe
Old 05-26-2019, 09:27 PM

Default Trip

Common sense, bear spray, and good quality gear.

You will be amazed at the size of Canada.

I did a remote ten day back country canoe trip with some of your countrymen and , they loved it.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Ah, the naive German. You'd better do some more research what Canada , specifically the wilderness, is all about. Hier ist es nicht so wie die Deutschen glauben.
Grizz
Huh, I wonder why someone seeking advice could be called 'naive', but never mind. Maybe you want to share how Kanada's Wildness "denn so anders ist ..."? (so different). If you want to add, what you think the standard-naive. common German believe it is like, be my guest.

:-)

Thanks, Billy, for the translation.

A horn is probably a nice idea, Iannie. Thanks. in fact one reason is that the naive German has been one week alone in a remote valley near Jasper and got the drug of deer, elks, wolves and one Grizzly (they're all the same!) already. May this substitute the other addiction. And yes, Puma, I got an impression about Canada's size by the flight time back then. Wish I could hike this in my lifetime.

Many thanks for all your answers. Any further input? Please bring it on.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:07 AM

Hope you have a great time! You came to the right place. Lots of us old Germans hanging out here - so you are in great company.

Lannie's suggestions are pretty much what you are looking for.

And I don't think Grizzly Adams was trying to insult you... If he's anything like me, he has seen visitors (cough cough... our relatives) do some silly things around wildlife... Like it's a petting zoo or something.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 05-27-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_username View Post
Huh, I wonder why someone seeking advice could be called 'naive', but never mind. Maybe you want to share how Kanada's Wildness "denn so anders ist ..."? (so different). If you want to add, what you think the standard-naive. common German believe it is like, be my guest.

:-)

Thanks, Billy, for the translation.

A horn is probably a nice idea, Iannie. Thanks. in fact one reason is that the naive German has been one week alone in a remote valley near Jasper and got the drug of deer, elks, wolves and one Grizzly (they're all the same!) already. May this substitute the other addiction. And yes, Puma, I got an impression about Canada's size by the flight time back then. Wish I could hike this in my lifetime.

Many thanks for all your answers. Any further input? Please bring it on.
Sorry, just spent some time in the Yukon a while back. The local paper court section listed several Germans charged with wildlife offenses, very common there apparently. Anyone who talks of "dancing' with a Grizzly is looking for trouble and liable to find it. I've met enough of my fellow countrymen to make me very skeptical of them.

Grizz
Old 05-27-2019, 02:08 PM

I am in Grande Prairie.
I don't have any other advice to give you per se, but I did want to offer my help to you in advance if you find you need any help once you get here.

It is very hot right now and there are lots of fire bans and atv bans, but by the end of August hopefully things are better or you will need to prepare accordingly.

I hope you enjoy your time here.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:11 AM

Never mind, Grizz. I got a humourous thick fur myself. And also not always the best opinion about my folks. Yukon, lovely. I'm a bit jalous. Sounds like you have a German legacy ....

Back to the topic: what about night visits of cougar and bear? My plan so far is to fence the tent with the fishing line linked to a bell or maybe an electronic alarm. It's just being eaten asleep vs. awake?

This sums it up: I'm just concerned about not being able to act/react on predators, not seeing them or being asleep.

In a documentation i.e. I learned a guy from northern vanvouver island had eyes painted on his hat's backside to irritate cougars - what do you guys think about this?

Anyway, I really appreciate talking to you and read your posts and thank you for the input and inspiration. Anvil, that's a very kind offer. If you have time while I'm up there, I'd happily pay the beer ...

Well, I understand that you guys usually have a more practical approach, like drive in, basecamping somewhere with all you need instead of carrying stuff through the woods, shoot what you're going to eat and probably some of you do trapping or hunting for the living. My idea is to organize minimalistic, slowly enjoy the nature and observe wildlife, ideally have a small fire and some fresh fish on a stick or a soup on the gas in the evening. Indeed a quite romantic advanture with some interesting challenges, a Jack London's chapter if you want. (Reading this ... maybe Grizz is right ... )

Thus I'm looking for the compromise of electronic fences, bright stablights, ovens, small fridges and moskito nets to have less than 30 kilogram to carry. Do you guys use moskito nets while walking out there? What kind of food do you have for trecking/hiking/walking? Do you set special preparations to your tents - or use something different? You know, things like this.

Sorry for the late reply.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_username View Post
Never mind, Grizz. I got a humourous thick fur myself. And also not always the best opinion about my folks. Yukon, lovely. I'm a bit jalous. Sounds like you have a German legacy ....

Back to the topic: what about night visits of cougar and bear? My plan so far is to fence the tent with the fishing line linked to a bell or maybe an electronic alarm. It's just being eaten asleep vs. awake?

This sums it up: I'm just concerned about not being able to act/react on predators, not seeing them or being asleep.

In a documentation i.e. I learned a guy from northern vanvouver island had eyes painted on his hat's backside to irritate cougars - what do you guys think about this?

Anyway, I really appreciate talking to you and read your posts and thank you for the input and inspiration. Anvil, that's a very kind offer. If you have time while I'm up there, I'd happily pay the beer ...

Well, I understand that you guys usually have a more practical approach, like drive in, basecamping somewhere with all you need instead of carrying stuff through the woods, shoot what you're going to eat and probably some of you do trapping or hunting for the living. My idea is to organize minimalistic, slowly enjoy the nature and observe wildlife, ideally have a small fire and some fresh fish on a stick or a soup on the gas in the evening. Indeed a quite romantic advanture with some interesting challenges, a Jack London's chapter if you want. (Reading this ... maybe Grizz is right ... )

Thus I'm looking for the compromise of electronic fences, bright stablights, ovens, small fridges and moskito nets to have less than 30 kilogram to carry. Do you guys use moskito nets while walking out there? What kind of food do you have for trecking/hiking/walking? Do you set special preparations to your tents - or use something different? You know, things like this.

Sorry for the late reply.
^While I can't comment on much of your requests, I can state that my blood stream is like candy to a mosquito. One of the non-intrusive things I've found that seems to work are "insect" patches that can be bought in Canadian Tire and outdoor stores. If you want to go the intrusive route, nothing but a heavy coating of Off or Muskol is my other go-to option. But then EVERYTHING smells like insect deterent. I've never used a net and therefore either paid the price by giving healthy blood donations, or lathered up / wrapped myself in patches.

Sounds like you're going to have a great time exploring.

Looking forward to hearing / seeing pictures of updates to your adventure.

J.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
.... One of the non-intrusive things I've found that seems to work are "insect" patches ....
That's a hint, thank you! I just asked my brother to get some in advance, since comments suggest they'd be sold out.

I probably can't resist to bring a few pictures. Gave up photography however when this went digital, since I noted that through a camera you see only half of the world. Pics became inflationary since then.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 AM

Bears are lazy. They would rather just eat your food so keep your food out of your tent and you will not be bothered.

I know an 80 year old German lady who chased a cougar away from her lamb with a stick. She also said some words I didn’t understand, but I think it was the stick that did the trick.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:06 AM

There is always a degree of risk in the backcountry and I feel you need to accept that if you are going to enjoy your time in the woods.

As was stated above, keeping your food and toothpaste in one bag that you hang up in a tree away from camp is the most important thing you can do. Carry a canister of bear spray on your belt that you can easily reach - two if you wish. When you are feeling freaked out sing some loud, confident, german songs as the bears generally want nothing to do with you and surprising them is where things go down.

As for mountain lions... very rare for them to attack an adult or at all for that matter. If they do, I figure you are pretty much toast. But keep this risk in perspective as the incidence of attacks is very low.

I am not going to tell you not to erect an electric fence or draw eyes on your cap... but these things, while not unheard of, are not standard practice for backpacking in Canada. One thing I will add is that when you are going to sleep you will likely be freaked out a bit thinking of things that go bump, but once you fall asleep and wake up in the morning (or even waking during the night) you will stop caring about predators and be more focused on having to go pee.

(edit: definitely leave the bow at home - unless you are Robin Hood or something)

Have a great trip!

Last edited by mattthegorby; 06-02-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
There is always a degree of risk in the backcountry and I feel you need to accept that if you are going to enjoy your time in the woods.

As was stated above, keeping your food and toothpaste in one bag that you hang up in a tree away from camp is the most important thing you can do. Carry a canister of bear spray on your belt that you can easily reach - two if you wish. When you are feeling freaked out sing some loud, confident, german songs as the bears generally want nothing to do with you and surprising them is where things go down.

As for mountain lions... very rare for them to attack an adult or at all for that matter. If they do, I figure you are pretty much toast. But keep this risk in perspective as the incidence of attacks is very low.

I am not going to tell you not to erect an electric fence or draw eyes on your cap... but these things, while not unheard of, are not standard practice for backpacking in Canada. One thing I will add is that when you are going to sleep you will likely be freaked out a bit thinking of things that go bump, but once you fall asleep and wake up in the morning this (or even during the night) you will stop caring about predators and more focused on having to go pee.

Have a great trip!
That's it in a nutshell, mosquitoes and flies are going to be your biggest problem. Dry as a popcorn fart up there and a fire ban on right now, so smoking not advisable. LOL Cougars are very shy, they'll avoid you, very rare to even see one. Electric fence is a good idea, gives you peace of mind, if nothing else . Lots of Grizzlies there, just don't tempt them. If you fish, make sure you get a license, most common charge for Germans in the Yukon. "we've been doing this for years", wrong answer.

They even have to have special signs for you Germans in the Yukon. At the foot of a hydro electric dam.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 06-02-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
... When you are feeling freaked out sing some loud, confident, german songs as the bears generally want nothing to do with you ...
So, german songs are chasing all away, hm? How you dare ...! (to be right).
Quote:
...I am not going to tell you not to erect an electric fence or draw eyes on your cap... but these things, while not unheard of, are not standard practice for backpacking in Canada. ...
Got you. Electric fence really was not in my mind, for minimal weight packing reasons. Mostly for the same reason (and because of questionable skills), I'll let the bow at home, too.
The freak-out part is already known, however still not familiar. Just had it in croatia earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
...I know an 80 year old German lady who chased a cougar away from her lamb with a stick. She also said some words I didn’t understand, but I think it was the stick that did the trick.
I bet she shouted something like "Hau ab! Deutsche sind nicht naiv, blödes Kätzchen!" (*)
;-)

Quote:
... just don't tempt them. If you fish, make sure you get a license, most common charge for Germans in the Yukon. "we've been doing this for years", wrong answer.

(neat image for the naive ones) Grizz
The picture made me smile, Grizz.

Unfortunately loads of clueless Germans think that a license is for bureaucratic Germany only, anywhere else would be 3rd world and the natives don't know even paper. In fact the license would not matter, if people would respect nature more - but it's all about fun, no? I do it vice versa: I buy the regional license and hardly catch fish (still working on the last part).

Bottom line is likely the flies and mosquitos, you're right. I remember a hike in Finland, where one was fine while moving - but I got eaten stopping even for a quick sip of water. I stopped, turned, and saw the cloud following. Gave me approximately 40 seconds.

Funny enough, I pretended to be immune against these monster since then. I feel, this trip may proof me wrong.

*) Run! Germans are not naive, stupd kitty cat!

Tags
fishing, locations, predators