Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM

Default What's your method for trout?

I'm just curious what most of you use as a set-up for trout in the stocked lakes where bait is allowed? We usually just use pickeral rigs, or jigs tipped with bait. What's your favourite method?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 AM

Default Trout

My best advise is either pick up a Marmish setup if your in shallow water or add a strike indicator to yur normal ice rod.small ice fly jigs or my favorite a tiny black jig head with an olive Colored tail tipped with the color of power bait they like that day.key is to have the point of the hook showing through the bait.my buddy's all use normal rods but with the strike indicators I out fish em 5:1 any day!good luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 AM

not much fan of pickeral rigs... down shot or texas rig are my two favourite 'cause i can feel the bite right at first. during their biting time (early morning/sun set), i have my second rod setup with small spiner. landed quite alot but still more to learn on spinners. (about dif actions).
Bait, I sometimes use power bait but sometimes i have a small camping shovel to dig few spots to find warms (but gotta be careful not to dig a 'hole') just a dip and lift to see any warms or beatles + any bugs to hook on.

with light & ultra light rod with <6lbs tester line, 6-8" trout feels like a BEAST.
enjoy!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM

My fav "auto pilot" rod is a subzero from your local Ukrainian Tire....it is a lil baitcaster style rod that has a 3 position lever on the top left side of the reel. I place it in the middle position and then loosen the drag so you can pull the line out without much resistance. Then I place in a home made rod holder made of pvc pipe fastened to a piece of ply wood. I lower the small jighead baited with half a dew worm about 6" off of bottom and try to set the reel handle in the 6 o'clock position. When you get a bite or fish on, the fish can't feel any resistance and you will see the handle start turning...thus meaning fish on! Works awesome, never lost a rod/reel ever and landed a 4 to 7 lb rainbows on that as well as a 18 lb + pike on that. Works like a damn!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM

Ive had the best luck with Marshmallows for bait.