Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2013, 06:18 PM

Default Truck in lake newell

Listening to police scanner at 5.30 Saturday night, call in for Nissan path finder in lake at bay where Newell empties into rolling hills resevior. Two guys in truck both got out. Just listening to our key stone cops trying to find lake. Good thing it is not a emergency.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM

I hate Heating story's about Trucks going thru the ice as I drive my self quite a bit.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 PM

There are some good members down that way today. Just sent a text check to see if all accounted for.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 PM

a buddy partially broke through a while back. used an ice auger and drilled a couple of holes, cut down a couple of trees and placed into holes, hooked up come along and winched himself out. It was just about dark and no one else around...could have been a long night without the right supplies with you.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Well a truck can be replaced

Lives can not. Be careful guys

But on a side note Brooks towing will get it out. Those Guys rock.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 PM

saw the cop lights on the way home so they did find it finally. Ive been told that area is never safe to drive on, too bad these guys werent. glad they both got out

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Not us

Good to hear all our group is back ok. I guess I must have missed it or didnt see the lights coming off the lake.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 PM

South of jack fish bay about two miles
Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM

Crazy stuff. I haven't driven on yetr this year. Paranoid for some reason.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 PM

That bad ice at Sandy Beach is a perenial thing like ice by the marina,west side by Rainier Draw and the ice by the island south of Jackfish on the west side. It amazes me how people drive all over the lake without any fear or concern for their safety. We helped fish a truck out at the exact spot about 10 years or so ago during the derby. I know of these bad spots but Im sure there are more.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
That bad ice at Sandy Beach is a perenial thing like ice by the marina,west side by Rainier Draw and the ice by the island south of Jackfish on the west side. It amazes me how people drive all over the lake without any fear or concern for their safety. We helped fish a truck out at the exact spot about 10 years or so ago during the derby. I know of these bad spots but Im sure there are more.
Im glad you clued me in on those spots, it would be nice if the county could put up some signs, but then I guess they would leave themselves up to liability if someone went through anywhere else.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-13-2013, 12:46 AM

not to hijack but are there any places on mcgreger that are scechy for drivind

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 AM

thanks for the info coyote. Im heading that way this morn. Is there a map online that names all these bays and draws on Newell?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 AM

theres an old map floating around google from one of the old derbys that has some of the bays noted, cant find it right now only got one eye open. best way is just keep to tracks.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 AM

thanks Wayne. I will see if I can track it down later. Got some of the names down, but I should write them down with my memory.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM

Default I have that map

I have that map on my phone Wayne is talking about. Use it when on the lake and people start talking about the different areas. Let me find it and I will move it so it can be in the posting.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 AM

Default Here it is guys

Here is the name of all the bays at Newell. Pic and link.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Derby_2009.jpg

Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM

I grew up in Brooks and lived there for about 20yrs and every year someone always went threw the ice.I can remember fishing with 2 feet of ice and watching geese way out in open water.I also know a kid i went to school with, his dad fell threw the ice and died and he had lots of ice fishing expeirence.My point why take the chance why not use the quads,sleds or walk then risking a truck or a life.My dad always drove on the ice when we were kids but today i have a hard time driving on ice with my kids.We just bundle up and i pull them with the big red and they have a blast.I know a lot of people say you have to know the lake and know the ice but i can say so did my friends dad.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Exclamation Ice at newel

It was my buddy and i who went through the ice on saturday night, PLEASE ALL people stay the hell off the ice near where newel drains into rolling hills. I have never been so scared in all my life!!! I have a four year old daughter and every time i think that she might have been with us, my heart sinks into my stomach. I cannot say how greatful i am thaT the water where we broke through must only be 4 to 5 feet deep. It happened so fast.......................... PLEASE one more thing ,,,,, IF YOU DRIVE ON THE ICE,,,,, MAKE DAM SURE YOU LEAVE ON THE SAME TRACK YOU TOOK,,,,, TO COME IN.

I didnt because of tiredness and know i pay dearly..... Thanks too all..... please be SAFE
Old 01-13-2013, 05:43 PM

Good to hear you are alive and to help others
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Thanks Gringo for the map. That was perfect! Have a great week and maybe see ya back out there next weekend.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 AM

A few of us were out there. We were north of that area. Wayne went home then we saw the cop lights down south. I was just hoping that it wasn't wayne that they were after. lol Glad to hear they got out ok.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM

You don't normally find something like this searching Kijiji for "Ice Fishing" .... it must be the same fellow, very sad.

Zip...

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ447386961

Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gor View Post
Listening to police scanner at 5.30 Saturday night, call in for Nissan path finder in lake at bay where Newell empties into rolling hills resevior. Two guys in truck both got out. Just listening to our key stone cops trying to find lake. Good thing it is not a emergency.
Sounds like some old man has nothing good to do on Saturday night. Bad deal for the guys going through anyways.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaboy85 View Post
Sounds like some old man has nothing good to do on Saturday night. Bad deal for the guys going through anyways.
nice to know the local cops cant find an accident site 10 miles from the police station in their jurisdiction, and I happen to know the OP was out fishing on the lake all day, so whats it to you what hes doing to relax after a day on the ice? nice first post, how many incarnations now?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds