Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2010, 03:31 PM

Default reloading question

I am thinking of getting into reloading and was looking at the lee 50th anniversary kit.My question is what dies should I be ordering with it?Will all lee dies work with this kit or do I need specific ones for ir?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:09 PM

one thing the manufactures agreed on was a 7/8"x14 thread.
rcbs ,lee.redding .forster, they should all work .
u have to order the one u want to reload ,each cartridge has its own die.set..
ie; 270 win or a 300 win mag there diffrent
Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM

yeah i know that i have to order for specific caliber just wasnt sure if dies were different for different kits
Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Gone Hunting

don't think he was insinuating that u were dense, just CYA, there has been some scary posts about how guys reload here...see marlins post from today. The gist of it is all dies are the same thread...so no problem
H.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:29 PM

OK thanks for the info just wasnt sure about different dies,I have always wanted to get into reloading and do not know much about it yet
Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Gone Hunting

read everything you can, then read it again, then buy not 1 but 2 or 3 loading manuals, when u choose a load start at the bottom and work your way up...most times you'll find a low to mid-range load suits your rifle better than an upper end one will, as soon as the groups get erratic , back off, you've found your load!!!...enjoy!!...but if you're starting new, research and reading is way more important than cranking out loads immediately
H.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM

Default Starting reloading

I think Hal53 has an excellent point. Researching (through several reloading manuals) is the best idea. I reference all of my manuals prior to loading a new cartridge. I may not even use the manufacturers projectiles (ie: Nosler, speers etc), but comparing thier load data, especially their max load, will give you a good idea where your minimum and maximum boundries are. As you probably already know, when starting out with a new cartridge, start with the lower end load charges. If nothing else, it is fun to watch how your loading progression increases accuracy at the range. I keep a note book in my re-load room specifically for re-loading. I document every detail (powder charge, bullet wt, casing lgth, overall cart lgth, distance from rifling, bullet specs, primer type etc) so you can avoid confusion when duplicating or improving on your load. I also document the range conditions when testing your loads. Wind, temp and barometric pressure, to name a few, will all play some degree in how your load performs. As for dies, I think you can generate an excellent load from any of the main manufacturers. My guess is that if someone has strong feeling for or against a certain die, it might equate to simple personal preference. I hope you find some of these suggestions helpfull. If nothing else, you have just entered a hobby that is going to cause you to spending hundereds of hours having fun and experimenting. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 PM

Thanks for all the info I had a buddy reloading for me and we tried several differant loads for my 30-06.I found that 165 gr speer boatails,56.2 grs of 4350 powder and remington primers worked best for my gun.We tried 7 or 8 different loads and they gave me the best groupings.I think i will probably start with them and maybe later on try some new loads.