Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 AM

Default zone 936 Blackfoot grazing area questions

So I went walking through there yesterday for 4.5 hr.s walked 12 kms all throughout the top right corner of the zone from 10:30 til 3ish and didnt see a single critter. The conservation officer that gave us our discharge permits told us that was the corner to be in for deer and told us he'd never walked the fenceline without seeing wts and so i thought we at least scare some up... but all we saw was a few day old moose killsite. It wasn't much of a motivator to get out there again anytime soon.

I also picked up the newsletter and it had a wildlife study in it that states last year there were approximately 40 moose taken, 60 elk! and only 8 white deer. That was fairly discouraging since we're only after white tail. . .

So does anyone have any comments about this zone? I think ill put in for elk and maybe moose there but even ten it must be quite an event to pull one out by hand.

I was just looking for somewhere close to go white tail hunting with the gf for the 11'th

Last edited by Rantastic; 11-09-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:56 AM

put in your time (like any zone) and you'll get something.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 AM

Default Deer

The deer are in there. I think that the low number take (8) reflects the fact that guys usually focus on Moose and Elk draws in 986. Deer hunters usually have success just fine elsewhere and dont need to hunt 986 for deer.
Good luck. Theyre there somewhere.
kidd
Old 11-09-2009, 12:19 PM

lol, i woulda thought it much easier to pull out a deer on foot than elk and moose so im pretty impressed by those high numbers... Well, we're going back out this week after work for evening hunts to keep on looking,.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:28 PM

I agree that the big game population is a bit down around 936 this year. I have been out there Grouse hunting 6 times and only saw 2 Moose (outside the gates...) and several Coyotes. The big game is there, just a little tougher to find. Bird poulation seems very low though, anyone have a comment on that?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM

I live just east of Blackfoot and use to hunt the land on the east border, we always saw alot of whitetail on the east side . There is easy access off of rr192 about 6 miles south of HW16 then turn west at Henry Woods Way, drive in about a mile. This is a dead end road there is room to park at the dead end, then walk north about 100 yards there use to be a bridge over the fence. If you need more info email me at jklippint@yahoo.ca adress it Blackfoot. Hope this helps

PS I have hunted and lived in the area for about 16 years.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 PM

I wouldn't even easte my time in there for whitetails! I have hunted in there for three years and i can count on one hand how many whitetails i have seen! The first year i was in there they estimated there was 12 mule deer in there and i must have seen all 12 because i seen way more mule deer than 12! we also killed 2 elk! Both took one day in rifle! Mine was a 175 inch 5x5 and my dads was a 353 inch 7x7! Don't hunt whitetails in the blackfoot! You will have much better luck somewhere else!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:26 PM

Blackfoot is a hidden gem for those urban folks who need a spot close for day trips without a lot of prep or planning. Believe me, there are good whitetails in there, but it's more work than hunting outside of 936. By more work I don't mean hauling them out, that's the least of your worries. I have no shortage of good whitetail habitat to hunt in, and I still manage to hunt Blackfoot once in awhile just because I like to.

When we hunt Blackfoot we watch fields at first and last light, and get together and push bush during the day. We always manage to find some good bucks. The only 2 bucks I've ever rattled in were both in Blackfoot. Half the fun is learning and mastering how to hunt Blackfoot, success will come when it all comes together for you. There's so much there to enjoy, from the uniqueness of the place to the variety of game there is to see. Good luck and have fun.

Craig