Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2020, 10:53 AM

Arrow 'OOPS' ➡▶ Sweden finally admits ... they Goofed ❗

This just in from BNN 👉 https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/man-behi...akes-1.1444755

I wonder ... how many extra lives did they lose, because of this Phenomenal Blunder ❓

Selkirk
Old 06-03-2020, 11:52 AM

Is this not what he said?

“If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,”

So we should probably say.

“If we were to encounter the same illness with the same knowledge that we have today, I think our response would land somewhere in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,”

So when do we admit that we goofed? Oops is right.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-03-2020, 12:08 PM

43 deaths per 100,000 = 0.043%

Hard to call that a phenomenal blunder. More like an insignificant amount to cause any impact to the economy.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Agreed!!!
Old 06-03-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
This just in from BNN 👉 https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/man-behi...akes-1.1444755

I wonder ... how many extra lives did they lose, because of this Phenomenal Blunder ❓

Selkirk
Selkirk,

Can you let us know on this thread how the second wave of Covid19 is going to play out with the riots all across the USA and also popping up in Canada and some European cities? With so many people gathering, infections will spread like wildfire, no? And then all the people the infected rioters come in contact with....will it be exponential?

Bloop's probably crunching the numbers on this as we speak as well and will be along to join forces with you.

Thanks in advance for whatever insights you share with us.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:34 PM

It is too early to know who had the best approach. If Sweden develops herd immunity at a much higher rate that everyone else due to their approach, then the second wave will hurt them much less. Think about the models pushed in March that showed a high peak then a fast return to 0 infection rates compared to "flatten the curve" that showed a lower peak rate of infection but a longer duration. It is the area under the curves that matter as a measure of success at this point and that could take over a year to see the best strategy present itself when all the curves approach 0.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
It is too early to know who had the best approach. If Sweden develops herd immunity at a much higher rate that everyone else due to their approach, then the second wave will hurt them much less. Think about the models pushed in March that showed a high peak then a fast return to 0 infection rates compared to "flatten the curve" that showed a lower peak rate of infection but a longer duration. It is the area under the curves that matter as a measure of success at this point and that could take over a year to see the best strategy present itself when all the curves approach 0.
That's exactly it - and wasn't mentioned in the article - have the death rates been dropping as the herd immunity develops?

I think that statement was too premature.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:20 PM

Hard to imagine there's actually people still hanging on to the belief that crippling the economy and ruining many people's lives was the right course of action. Oops is right
Old 06-03-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Hard to imagine there's actually people still hanging on to the belief that crippling the economy and ruining many people's lives was the right course of action. Oops is right
Unfortunately there are still LOTS of them. Too many that can't see the forest for the trees...
Old 06-03-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
WAY too many......its depressing actually. Its incredible how they just cant understand.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:15 PM

I have greater chance of death via lightning ⛈ strike, than death by Covid 19.
I’ll take my chances with both.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:19 PM

I would tell you a Covid 19 joke, but you won't get it.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:49 PM

43 deaths per 100,000 is missing the CRITICAL ANALYTICAL measure:

T I M E

If by the end December, all other Nations in 2020 suffer 43 deaths per 100,000 due to the so called "second wave" and Sweden suffers NO MORE DEATHS because of Herd Immunity, then over the year, there is NO DIFFERENCE.

But that just does not make good news, now does it.

Meanwhile, lets get a closeup of those Rioters!!!!

Got to love the Media and all its sensationalism.

Drewski
Old 06-03-2020, 05:56 PM

Worst part of all of this, when a “real” pandemic hits... it won’t be taken as seriously and compliance will be much lower.

LC
Old 06-03-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post

Ha ha ha ha
Old 06-03-2020, 07:19 PM

By my math, if Alberta had the same rate of deaths of 43 per 100,000 people, there would have been 1896 deaths, or 13 times what we have experienced so far.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
True dat. Economy crippled, families ruined, to say nothing of how many people died or are severely compromised from other treatable diseases??? Hard for me to fathom how anyone thinks the lockdown was handled properly.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-04-2020, 11:13 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Selkirk,

Can you let us know on this thread how the second wave of Covid19 is going to play out with the riots all across the USA and also popping up in Canada and some European cities? With so many people gathering, infections will spread like wildfire, no? And then all the people the infected rioters come in contact with....will it be exponential?

Bloop's probably crunching the numbers on this as we speak as well and will be along to join forces with you.

Thanks in advance for whatever insights you share with us.
Good points 👆 ❗

But sorry, I have no answers for your questions ... Gawd only knows how this will all play out.

Time will tell . . .

Selkirk
Old 06-04-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
The lockdown although well meaning when it was implemented now appears to have been biased on a model that is now proven not valid. I hope that our leadership can make quick adjustments on what we are learning to get us back to normal.
MY wife lost it last night watching the Calgary protest. A huge mass of people not distancing well, wearing poorly fitting masks, if any. She knows some people that have lost their business already due to the lockdown.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:26 PM

We're the ones that goofed, not Sweden. Their foreign minister was on Tucker Carlson three weeks ago and she said they analyzed it, and realized that the situation could continue for a while, so they picked a strategy they could implement long-term. Back then she said Stockholm already had 25-30% herd immunity which, as mentioned in a previous post, will be really good for them if there is a second wave of this virus. The shutdowns could've ended a while ago, but they've been hijacked by politicians, especially in the U.S. where many are trying to destroy the economy, which is Trump's biggest campaign point.
A friend of ours went to a hospital in the States for cancer related issues, and on return the border officers told him he would be getting phone calls for two weeks to make sure he was quarantining! I sense a worldwide power trip...
Old 11-12-2020, 05:16 AM

update on how Sweden is doing:

After 6,000 deaths, we were told Sweden wouldn’t experience a significant “second wave,” and that while other nations would suffer through the winter, Sweden would fare better. Guess what? That was all bull****. (Via @FT) https://t.co/0JyGMcEmc1

stats: https://mobile.twitter.com/Sociopath...55443717746689

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-12-2020, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post

Hachooooooooooooo.....excuse me.......pardon me......let me clear my throat

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-12-2020, 06:24 AM

So if Sweden got it wrong and the US got it wrong and Canada got it wrong, could someone please tell me who the heck got it right ????????????

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
So if Sweden got it wrong and the US got it wrong and Canada got it wrong, could someone please tell me who the heck got it right ????????????
Taiwan and New Zealand.

They took the viral threat seriously.

They did not treat it like a joke.

They stopped it from entering and spreading.

Quote:

Coronavirus: Should New Zealand copy Taiwan's leading COVID-19 response? | Newshub

"New Zealand's won praise because of its speed in terms of a lockdown but Taiwan in terms of the border control, screening of passengers, the masks, just everything, the country was ready to go," he says.

Hanson also recalls the day - December 31 - when a switched-on health official spotted something suspicious about a virus alert in Wuhan. It triggered an instant response and within hours, PPE-clad health workers were screening passengers from Wuhan.

He explains how Taiwan's digital tracking system works ...”

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...-response.html

Quote:
Taiwan’s COVID-19 Success Story Continues as Neighbors Fend Off New Outbreaks – The Diplomat

“Unlike countries like Vietnam and New Zealand, Taiwan has managed to keep its five-month streak of no local COVID-19 transmissions alive.”

“ Instead, life has remained normal. The country has never instituted lockdown measures and the vast majority of businesses remain open. The closure of borders to international travelers has led to a domestic tourism boom, with hotspots like Hualien, Taitung, and Kenting seeing overflows of Taiwanese visitors during the summer.”

Most facemask and social distancing measures have been relaxed since the early months of the pandemic. Masks are still required on public transportation, and many Taiwanese still wear masks on crowded sidewalks or in enclosed areas like shopping malls.

Aside from this, life has continued as normal with only a few minor hiccups. ...”

https://thediplomat.com/2020/09/taiw...new-outbreaks/

Quote:
Eliminating COVID-19: what the world can learn from NZ and Taiwan

Both Taiwan and New Zealand have successfully eliminated COVID-19 with world-leading pandemic responses. By taking a particularly proactive approach, Taiwan's response was probably the most effective and least disruptive of any country's, researchers say.

“ Taiwan acted very early to control the virus, introducing health screening of air passengers on the day the World Health Organization was informed of the outbreak in Wuhan on 31 December 2019.

"Despite Taiwan's closer proximity to Wuhan and its high population density it experienced a substantially lower incidence rate of 20.7 cases per million compared with New Zealand's 278 per million. Their timely and vigorous response allowed Taiwan to avoid the national lockdown used in New Zealand to eliminate community transmission."

In both countries, outbreaks of COVID-19 prompted public health officials to introduce a range of measures including contact tracing, testing and isolating of cases and quarantine of close contacts.

Fellow author Professor Michael Baker from the University of Otago, Wellington, says Taiwan benefited by having a Centers for Disease Control in place, as well as a National Health Command Center dedicated to responding to emerging threats such as pandemics.

"Taiwan's pandemic response had been extensively planned, ...

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...nz-taiwan.html

Bolding mine

Last edited by KinAlberta; 11-12-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:57 AM

Its not over
Old 11-12-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Exactly! The difference is, Sweden did not destroy their economy and drive many businesses into bankruptcy.

And then there are the other side effects of covid.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/predic...ry?id=73836752
Old 11-12-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly! The difference is, Sweden did not destroy their economy and drive many businesses into bankruptcy.

And then there are the other side effects of covid.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/predic...ry?id=73836752
EH11 and Chuck should stop using facts. Kinalberta works very hard to continually introduce information to this forum with the intention of spreading fear. Its getting fairly obvious that he/she is getting a kick out of making others scared and upset.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly’s Mom View Post
By my math, if Alberta had the same rate of deaths of 43 per 100,000 people, there would have been 1896 deaths, or 13 times what we have experienced so far.
It shouldn't be surprising how many replying to this discussion totally ignored this post. Right or wrong one of the issues with this illness and herd immunity is that the antibodies are showing not to last very long. There have been numerous cases of people becoming infected 2x.

Why like all things can we not exist in the middle. Wear your mask, wash your hands and keep some space. If we do this we don't have to suffer through a lock down again.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Taiwan and New Zealand.

They took the viral threat seriously.

They did not treat it like a joke.

They stopped it from entering and spreading.

Bolding mine
Perhaps because both are Islands and not part of mainlands. LikeLy plays large role.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuna View Post
It shouldn't be surprising how many replying to this discussion totally ignored this post. Right or wrong one of the issues with this illness and herd immunity is that the antibodies are showing not to last very long. There have been numerous cases of people becoming infected 2x.

Why like all things can we not exist in the middle. Wear your mask, wash your hands and keep some space. If we do this we don't have to suffer through a lock down again.
It would help if the authorities enforced the covid restrictions uniformly, instead of refusing to enforce the regulations on strikers and protesters who gather in huge numbers, and don't observe social distancing. I spoke with a person that works in bylaw enforcement in Edmonton, and after he told me about handing out citations for violations, I asked about strikers and protestors, and he replied that the city of Edmonton told his department, to not enforce the restrictions on strikers and protestors.