Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Backcountry Backpacking

Hey all, I want to introduce my youngest to backcountry backpacking. I thought I’d do Forks in Kananaskis but unfortunately it’s all booked until the end of August. Anyone have suggestions for a similar hike, I’’m sure we’’ll have to look at random backcountry if anyone has some ideas for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 PM

I hiked into Tombstone (from hwy40) in Kananaskis last year and liked it. Starts off with a climb to Elbow Lake but is flat after that. Also Ribbon Falls is nice and if you don't mind heights a climb up to Ribbon Lake is fun. Don't know how booked up they are but maybe you can find some dates.

For no bookings required, consider David Thompson country west of Nordegg. Allstones Lake, Kinglet Lake, Landslide Lake and Lake of the Falls are all good options.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Rawson Lake is a great place to see in Kananaskis. About 5 kms to get up there. Be wary of bears but one on the nicest lakes around.
Allstones by Nordegg is a place you can camp. You need to leave your vehicle by Abraham lake which is not that great.

If you have time in the future you need to see Mt Assiniboine. Should be on everyones bucket list. Spectacular place. Been a few times and we choppered up there and hiked out. Many lakes and tons of hiking trails.

Last edited by Jigsalot; 06-01-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:23 PM

Ummm... No camping at Rawson!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Rawson Lake is a great place to see in Kananaskis. About 5 kms to get up there. Be wary of bears but one on the nicest lakes around.

-Confucius
Old 06-01-2020, 07:30 PM

Pickle jar lakes, ~5km decent hike, one steep hill near the 3km mark that is just a bigger incline, not unsafe. Great fishing and you can find a spot to pitch a tent.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Ummm... No camping at Rawson!!
Don’t know. Last time I was there it was in and out and no camp. Do a google search and see if it’s different now.

Last edited by Jigsalot; 06-01-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:29 AM

No camping at Rawson Lake. I was in there last year, between bear closures - lots of hikers and fishermen. Got to watch a sow and cub on the slope above the lake for quite awhile, until they bedded down in a clump of trees. Fish were biting, with a lot of people being successful.

The hike into Tombstone from Hwy 40 is a nice hike. First part is strenuous, but after that is it pretty well flat. Lots of campsites at Tombstone when I was there. Access to several other trails which I believe had campsites on them.

The hike into Lillian Lake is nice, and not too strenuous. Many of the campsites were in use at the time. From Lillian Lake you can go on to Galatea Lakes, up over Guinn's Pass, and come back out through Ribbon Lake.

Mr Conservation
Old 06-02-2020, 11:39 AM

There has never been camping at Rawson (at least in the last 20 + years or so!)!

Random camping is illegal in Provincial Parks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
Don’t know. Last time I was there it was in and out and no camp. Do a google search and see if it’s different now.

-Confucius
Old 06-02-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
There has never been camping at Rawson (at least in the last 20 + years or so!)!

Random camping is illegal in Provincial Parks!
👍. Good. Like I said I did a day trip there and didn’t see camping.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
Hey all, I want to introduce my youngest to backcountry backpacking. I thought I’d do Forks in Kananaskis but unfortunately it’s all booked until the end of August. Anyone have suggestions for a similar hike, I’’m sure we’’ll have to look at random backcountry if anyone has some ideas for me.

At this point, most of the more popular hikes will have filled up, so you are likely out of luck for anything that needs to be booked ahead.

If you are willing to travel a bit, there are some great hikes in the David Thompson (outside Nordegg), like Lake of the Falls, Landslide Lake or Pinto Lake - they don't have set camp sites (although some are pretty close) but most (if not all) have green thrones to do your business on and great scenery. The first two (Landslide and Lake of the Falls) are on the 'harder' end of the spectrum which may not be what you are looking for, so I'd recommend Pinto Lake.

One of the benefits on starting down the Pinto Lake trail is that you can decide how hard you want to push and can stop if need be, as there are plenty of 'suitable' camping sites along the way. We set out a few years ago with 8 adults (one who was 6 months pregnant), 3 kids under 4, and 3 dogs and were able to stop and set-up camp when we could push no further. Then those who still had the energy to were able to day hike into Landslide Lake while the other enjoyed the scenery at camp.

If you are looking for the Pinto Lake trail head, paste the following into Google Maps: 5G8F+V9 Cline River, Alberta.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoePolicyAnalyst View Post
At this point, most of the more popular hikes will have filled up, so you are likely out of luck for anything that needs to be booked ahead.

If you are willing to travel a bit, there are some great hikes in the David Thompson (outside Nordegg), like Lake of the Falls, Landslide Lake or Pinto Lake - they don't have set camp sites (although some are pretty close) but most (if not all) have green thrones to do your business on and great scenery. The first two (Landslide and Lake of the Falls) are on the 'harder' end of the spectrum which may not be what you are looking for, so I'd recommend Pinto Lake.

One of the benefits on starting down the Pinto Lake trail is that you can decide how hard you want to push and can stop if need be, as there are plenty of 'suitable' camping sites along the way. We set out a few years ago with 8 adults (one who was 6 months pregnant), 3 kids under 4, and 3 dogs and were able to stop and set-up camp when we could push no further. Then those who still had the energy to were able to day hike into Landslide Lake while the other enjoyed the scenery at camp.

If you are looking for the Pinto Lake trail head, paste the following into Google Maps: 5G8F+V9 Cline River, Alberta.

Thanks for the info, after watching some YouTube videos this week about the Pinto Lake Trail I think that one will work great for us. Easy enough to get a decent hike in without turning the kid off backpacking. If he likes it then we’ll go a little further and eventually do a multi day hike.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the input, this definitely gives me a good starting point to do some research.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky660 View Post
Thanks for the info, after watching some YouTube videos this week about the Pinto Lake Trail I think that one will work great for us. Easy enough to get a decent hike in without turning the kid off backpacking. If he likes it then we’ll go a little further and eventually do a multi day hike.

No problem! If you are looking for a trail guide, I'd suggest the The David Thompson Highway Hiking Guide (most outdoor stores like MEC or Atmosphere carry it, but here's an Amazon link: https://www.amazon.ca/David-Thompson.../dp/1771600918) and don't forget to take a look at the Bighorn Backcountry Brochure (https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/0c90...zones-2020.pdf).
And for good measure, here's a more detailed geo-referenced map of the area: https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/c8e1...r-corridor.pdf