Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 10:34 PM

Default Used Boat bill of sale and registration

Anyone familiar with the process? Looking at buying a used ski boat and trailer and am conflicted from what I am reading online.

The boat is from Alberta and already the hull registration sticker number on it. Do I use a standard bill of sale for the boat and a separate bill of sale for the trailer? Then just go to the registry office?
Old 06-02-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayf01 View Post
Anyone familiar with the process? Looking at buying a used ski boat and trailer and am conflicted from what I am reading online.

The boat is from Alberta and already the hull registration sticker number on it. Do I use a standard bill of sale for the boat and a separate bill of sale for the trailer? Then just go to the registry office?
Yes you should get separate bills of sale for each with corresponding VIN numbers

The trailer and boat will have own VIN;s
I have even done with the motor serial numbers before
Old 06-03-2020, 05:54 AM

The boat registry is Federal and the trailer is registered Provincially.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:04 AM

In any case, you will need a bill of sale for the trailer in order to register/plate it.

The last boat I had sold, I tacked on the boat information in the "additional comments" section of the bill of sale form. A separate form for the boat is a good idea.

I also provided a copy of my boat registration. Makes it easier to transfer registration when you have it all written down for you.

That being said, make sure the registration papers match the Hull serial number (usually on the plate that is riveted to the hull, on or near the plate that lists the capacity etc. and the registration number (the stickers on both sides of the hull), manufacturer etc.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:21 PM

I believe your boat can or has to be licensed federally and online. It’s a fairly simple process. Fill out the blank form and send in pics with it. The only trouble I had was in my pics, I had a post leaning on the boat, forgot to remove it. They said it obstructed the complete view of the boat so I had to do it again. They last for 10 years.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:39 PM

Here's the link for the Canadian Pleasure Craft Licensing page:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...cence-3212.htm
Old 06-03-2020, 02:55 PM

As already advised but make sure you account for the hull number AND the outboard/inboard number. Also get the trailer VIN....what a pain when I didn't get the trailer VIN on the bill. You need to really account for all 3. And as with a used car I had the original bill of sale or registration signed over to me and retained for the boat.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayf01 View Post

That's what took place when I bought my boat a couple years ago. Bill of Sale for Boat at $$$$, Bill of Sale for Boat Trailer at $$$. Noted one cheque/Bank Draft for TOTAL BALANCE of the 2. Paid in Full

Transfer the Federal Boat registry number to your name after.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:38 AM

I’m a new boat owner and just went through this process 3 weeks ago. To a newbie it can be a bit intimidating as it’s not quite as simple as registering a vehicle but once you get it figured out it’s quite easy. I submitted everything online and my permanent registration showed up in my email a couple weeks later. As everyone has said the boat and trailer need to be different bill of sales. If you need any help or guidance then let me know and I can show you what I did.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:01 AM

Bill of Sales for:
Boat
Trailer
Motor

Your insurance company will ask for all of the VIN's.....

As stated, it is not too confusing once you get onto the site, rather simple and I am not a tech person.

Good luck, as there is tons of help for you, on the thread.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 06-05-2020 at 09:11 AM.