Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkchaser View Post
Well I bought one and guess what there’s no bases or rails available for it in Canada ... it’s so new that nobody has stuff yet . The guy at Cabela’s set me up with a tally 20mm short action rail Went home to find that the holes lined up perfect but the standard 6m screw have been changed to 8m on this model and few other of there upgrade models so beware. she sure is pretty though. Can’t wait to find the rail .
If you are really stuck, any gunsmith or machinist can drill out and counter sink the rail for the larger screws. Then just purchase the larger screws , and you are good to go. Fastenal can supply the screws.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:30 AM
Banned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2020, 08:10 AM

There is a half decent thread over at Rokslide. I am still planning on picking one up in the next couple months, I just decided to wait a bit but the feed back seems pretty solid. The .280 is the one that catches my eye the most.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Looks like a great rig Mark.

I am curious about the adjustment range of the cheekpiece, since I often struggle with cheek weld and tend to find comb height too low for me on most stocks.

Could you post a picture of the adjustability of the cheekpiece? Thx.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Looks like a great rig Mark.

I am curious about the adjustment range of the cheekpiece, since I often struggle with cheek weld and tend to find comb height too low for me on most stocks.

Could you post a picture of the adjustability of the cheekpiece? Thx.

They give you 4 different cheek piece modules in the box when you buy it
Old 06-02-2020, 01:18 PM

Dean2 made a great post here, thanks for that
Old 06-02-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
They give you 4 different cheek piece modules in the box when you buy it

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Thanks.

No problem
Old 06-02-2020, 10:17 PM

Default Rails and screws

Thanks Mark and elk hunter 11 . Just ran around and got things all set up tonight . Alberta tactical had the #8 screw,s needed went short front 2nd med and both rear long if this helps anyone . Also had the tally steel rail machined a touch bigger to take the #8 screws and bam where in business
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5CE0AB65-F392-4AFE-9BE5-67B485011ED3.jpg (33.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-02-2020, 11:19 PM
Banned

👍
Old 06-03-2020, 01:44 PM

How much weight does using a rail add compared to typical light weight mounts and rings?
Old 06-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Banned

I've weighed those rails before, safe bet that one is 3 oz (assuming aluminum of course). EGW has a bunch on website with listed specs, 60 & 70 series aluminums vary a bit in weight from each other plus full picatinny or the ones with the center channel groove run down the middle maybe half oz lighter.

A set of talley rings will be 2.5 oz, all mine are.

A really lightweight set of weaver lows is 2.5 oz, plus the rail of course, but most will end up using a much heavier set of rings on top of that rail. Doesn't take much to get to a half pound in rings(if rings steel) and rail.

This is an easy place to add unnecessary weight!

If you don't need a 20-40 moa advantage then get the Talley's imo. If your scope can dial to the distances you want to hunt...Talley's.

Then the scope itself is another place where it's easy to add tons of unnecessary weight! If you need 4-14 with parallax adjust and lots of moa come up then Leupold makes a 15.6 oz (1 lb) beauty that's about as much scope as you can get for the oz. vx3i 4.5-14x40 (30mm side focus) cds, or add whatever turret you prefer, my fav now is the new cds-zl, they may offer it already.

The new vx5-6's are tanks! I sold a 2.5-10x42 cds-zl2 rare non-firedot (no battery or turret for it) and it was easily 3 oz over listed weight. It was listed at 16.9 oz, now add your fire dot on top of that. This was very unlike any leupold experience i had on the scale before. Also they are physically huge, long, ginormous eye box, but they are very nice to look through, no complaints with the image, constant eye relief etc. But they are pigs compared to vx3's. Better suited to the precision rifle type builds imo but not the lightweight theme suitability.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:17 PM

Stinky

You might want to check out the Swaro line of scopes. 3.5x18x44 Z5 series with side parallax, only 16 ounces with the BT turret. Great glass, good eye relief and wide zoom range for not much weight. I mount mine in Light Weight Talleys. I also like the BRH or BRX reticle as I find them a lot faster than dialing up when hunting. Most places I don't get much time between seeing game and shooting it, even at longer ranges.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I will likely order one of these UL soon, just need to have the time to load up some rounds to make it worth it. I was mostly looking at VX 3i 3.5-10*40, keeping it under 13oz hopefully.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Stinky

You might want to check out the Swaro line of scopes. 3.5x18x44 Z5 series with side parallax, only 16 ounces with the BT turret. Great glass, good eye relief and wide zoom range for not much weight. I mount mine in Light Weight Talleys. I also like the BRH or BRX reticle as I find them a lot faster than dialing up when hunting. Most places I don't get much time between seeing game and shooting it, even at longer ranges.
I agree
I prefer anything Swarovski over Leupold’s

I would ditch the talleys though
Old 06-03-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Stinky

That is the scope I have on my go to big game rifle, and I just purchased a second one, for my new back up big game rifle. I prefer the BRH reticle for big game hunting.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:55 AM

Default 110 ultralight with BDX

I topped mine off with a sig bdx 6.5x20x52 . I bought my wife the 4x16 bdx last fall and have been really impressed with it. With her Sauer 100 in 6.5 prc she went from 100yrd site in to range and shoot 3hits in a row at the 600 gong with just the info on the cartridge box . The clarity probably isn’t as great as your guys suggestions. But it is not bad honestly . The range and shoot feature works well as long as it isn’t snowing or foggy. I was running a old modified 300wm model 70 With a custom heavy barrel and a viper pst . It was a really heavy rig and I ain’t getting any younger. Mostly getting out after elk get up a hill find them and 500~600 yard shots max. Target shooting out to 800 ~900. I am really excited to see how this gun preforms and interested to see if I can finally start ringing the gong at 1000 that has just been elusive to me . This new rig is totally next gen to me . I don’t sheep hunt and it wasn’t about shaving ounces . To me it was a appealing gun ! A $1300 proof barrel in 6.5 prc on a 110 action seems like a winner for the price . I have a cheap 243 savage that shoots a cloverleaf consistently for me at 100 yards if I do my part . I have a few friend with $3500 + guns that can’t do that . If this one can come close I will be in heaven .
Old 06-04-2020, 07:35 AM

A decent stock would make all the difference...its adjustable but still cheap plastic!
Old 06-04-2020, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
A decent stock would make all the difference...its adjustable but still cheap plastic!
Your not getting a "premium" stock and a proof barrel for this price
The adjustablility is nice
Its a good value
Old 06-04-2020, 08:00 AM

I see the UL at a few shops, where are people choosing to pick them up from?
Old 06-04-2020, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Stinky

this sounds like a ton of glass for the oz!

i'm torn on the reticle vs dial up, i've shot well with both, i've come back around to dial up though, mostly because leupold, i can whatever scope i want, send it in, get whatever turret or reticle i want(my fav is wide duplex), and now that they have 1" zero lock i'm even more pumped about it...i just sent in a fxII wide duplex 6x36 and got the cds-zl turret and it's 9.5 oz, there's not a lot i can't do with that scope
Old 06-04-2020, 08:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Thanks for the info. I will likely order one of these UL soon, just need to have the time to load up some rounds to make it worth it. I was mostly looking at VX 3i 3.5-10*40, keeping it under 13oz hopefully.
it will be, i have this scope with cds turret and i shows 12.5 on my scale...the new ones you can get with the cds-zl turret...that's the way to go for this model imo

it's only the new vx-5's/6's that are heavy af, take your scale with you to the store and you'll see...
Old 06-04-2020, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I see the UL at a few shops, where are people choosing to pick them up from?
Precision optics
Old 06-04-2020, 05:16 PM

Picked mine up at Cables last weekend on sale. Which I surprised for a brand new model.