Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you look at the way they do the tag dispersing the lower the p# the less tags are given to a higher # of applicants, the higher p# more tags are allocated to a smaller group and so on. So some lower priority applicants do get drawn, but that is going to be far and few. When your higher in P#'s the better odds you will probably selected, BUT not all high priority draws will be selected. There may be ten allotted tags for p#'s 8-12 and there was 30 or 40 applicants, 20 or 30 will not get drawn. Its just the way it goes. I've seen on other sites where ppl are disgusted with the draw systems, but that is just what it is "ITS A DRAW". There isn't a guarantee with draw. Ppl say it like a lotto or something, well do you win on every ticket you buy.
There are plenty of ways to expand your hunting, the comp. helps us out tremendously but letting us study the # of tags given out in each zone. If its really hard to get drawn for a certain zone, draw for another. Or three other zones they give that option too. If its that you don't want to go else where than stop complaining, and take what is given. As for the bowhunters with general tags, that will probably be far and few in years for zones. The # of hunters are growing which is good, cause so are the # of Animal activists that try to stop what we love to do. That rising # of hunters are going to make waiting maybe a little longer, but are we going to start whinning about to many hunters soon too. Come on ppl. We know they will not slow down the # of non-resident tags that's $, and we know the goverment will never ever reduce $ down so why moan and try to stop that. Pretty much the way of life since our grandparents to great grandparents the goverment had dictated or actions. With the more hunters out there they are going to have to control the ppl hunting, cause if we all did what we wanted to there would probably not much to hunt any more in 10 years. I didn't have all my draws selected and was like everyone else, was like a child at christmas eve waiting and wishing. But after 9 YEARS I did get drawn for Cypress Hill Elk to be honest I wasn't even expecting to get drawn for. That is the way it goes. If the draw were a guarantee between the wife and I we would have 2 mule buck, 1 moose, 1 Elk, 2 Antelope, 2 Turkeys, along with our gen. 2 Whitetail. Would we really even need all that meat, no. To some degree even if someone was to say they can give away some. Well are you now hunting for yourself, or just out shooting stuff because you can. Actually you are really just reducing more game for you to wait longer for a draw the next time and to see more complaining members.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:41 AM

The fact still remains that the higher priority will still be drawn before a lower priority, all things being equal.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:16 PM

boy i've been missing the boat then I was under the impression that once the bow only season was over and general hunting season started only those with a draw could hunt those draws and if a bowhunter had the draw he /she can continue to hunt with either bow or rifle. armed with this new info im filling my tags this year yee haw
Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrude1 View Post
boy i've been missing the boat then I was under the impression that once the bow only season was over and general hunting season started only those with a draw could hunt those draws and if a bowhunter had the draw he /she can continue to hunt with either bow or rifle. armed with this new info im filling my tags this year yee haw
I think you are confused....

....or you are confusing me!

If you have a general tag you can hunt a non-draw general season for the tag you hold.

You need to have a draw to hunt a draw season....

So are you saying you only hunted with a bow so far during the general bow season? and when general rifle started you stopped hunting?

If you said what zone/species you were after someone might be able to try and answer what ever you were wondering about

LC
Old 07-16-2012, 05:46 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I'd read the regs before heading out if I were you....just saying.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM

ok so i'm no expert, i've only been hunting for one season, but it blows my mind how many who have been hunting for years yet actually have no idea how the draw system, lotteries and hunting seasons in general work.
i guess being a newb i have a bit of an advantage because i read the crap out of the regs and ask my hunting buddies tons of questions when i first started (and will continue to do so until i die).
i think some people should probably stay out of the bush till they re-read the regs

just my 2 cents
Schian
Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I'd read the regs before heading out if I were you....just saying.
why? just ask AO like everyone else. too much bother reading the rule book....

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
it blows my mind how many who have been hunting for years yet actually have no idea how the draw system, lotteries and hunting seasons in general work.

i read the crap out of the regs Schian
well done. reading and understanding the regulations are a pretty good thing to do. the list of reasons why is very loooooonnnnggggg......
Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
why? just ask AO like everyone else. too much bother reading the rule book....

LOL...this does seem to be one of the worst years ever. It is shocking how few people seem to actually read the regs or draws....
Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 PM

wont fish and wildlife just give warnings to those who have no time to read the regs
Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
wont fish and wildlife just give warnings to those who have no time to read the regs
X2

Nice guys, those f&w officers. They'll be happy to help you along

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 PM

i know the rules it was meant as sarcasium as Pesky was saying how unfair it is that bow hunters can hunt the whole season with a general tag while rifle hunters have to be drawn. why cant we all just get along
Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 PM

Default Problems

Managed to get passed over for my Suffield tag in first season, 720, with a 10 priority. Quadruple checked and it was all entered correctly. If everyone thinks there are no mistakes made in this system, another lucky member managed to draw with a 9 priority. Not taking nothing from him, wasn't his fault, just has to make you wonder where else mistakes were made.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:52 PM
sheephunter

If a mistake truly was made, contact IBM and they will make it right. I know of one case where this did happen and they issued a tag. Most cases there is an explanation but I guess like anything computer related, the occasional mistake may happen. Let us know what they say.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 PM

Default Sure

I have an email sent to them to see what went wrong but no reply yet, will call in the morning. I contacted the member on here to see if by chance he was mistaken on his priority, but I was assured he was not. Someone in his group also received a cow tag with no points. Don't want to mess things up for them.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I contacted the member on here to see if by chance he was mistaken on his priority, but I was assured he was not.
Of course he could be 100% correct, but I have spoken with more than one person that were mistaken as to their priority.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 AM

I was a 7 on Antlered Mule Deer and my non-resident Canadian buddy was a 6; we did not get drawn in 308. Other resident buddy got drawn in 308 with a 4 priority.

First, let me explain that I don't believe that PETA, the NSA or Al Qhaida have anything to do with me not getting drawn; my question is this:

How the heck are we supposed to be able to plan a hunt if we can't get the draw details from SRD (or the "Department of Other Stuff" as it is likely to be called soon)? IIRC a maximum of 10% (5%?) of draw tags can go to NRCs. But how many NRCs are applying?

Hey, I am not pi**ed, just frustrated that I can't seem to figure this out. Any suggestions (besides talking my friend to stay home)?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
I was a 7 on Antlered Mule Deer and my non-resident Canadian buddy was a 6; we did not get drawn in 308. Other resident buddy got drawn in 308 with a 4 priority.

First, let me explain that I don't believe that PETA, the NSA or Al Qhaida have anything to do with me not getting drawn; my question is this:

How the heck are we supposed to be able to plan a hunt if we can't get the draw details from SRD (or the "Department of Other Stuff" as it is likely to be called soon)? IIRC a maximum of 10% (5%?) of draw tags can go to NRCs. But how many NRCs are applying?

Hey, I am not pi**ed, just frustrated that I can't seem to figure this out. Any suggestions (besides talking my friend to stay home)?

Pudel, was your NR partner notified that his application was denied due to the secretive % cap?

Other have stated they have been told by SRD they were denied due to the cap, yet there is never anything in writing.

BTW, still waiting for the FOIP decision requesting the NR Draw info from 2010............ ..... ...
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
i know the rules it was meant as sarcasium as Pesky was saying how unfair it is that bow hunters can hunt the whole season with a general tag while rifle hunters have to be drawn. why cant we all just get along
I never said the whole season.
I said the whole rut.

Attributing incorrect statements to other people because you didn't bother to pay attention to what they actually said might have something to do with why we sometimes don't get along.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Default draw problems

Has anyone else noticed that women and kids seem to get drawn more frequently? I can`t prove it ,but it sure seems that way to me. My only complaint this year is that we have too many draws in our household. The wife and kid both got antlerless elk tags in the Big Valley area ( 208- 166- 164). The kid was a priority 2 and the wife was a priority 1. I would have 999 her application if I had thought there was even a chance that she would get drawn. The kid also got a cow moose draw in 222 has a priority 2. I have bull moose in 222 but I was a priority 5 and actually expected to get my tag.
The kid and I also got Antlered Mule tags, I was a 3 and the kid a 2. We also have a family friend that drew her cow moose tag in 208 has a priority 1.

There should be a way for us to opt out of a couple of these tags and give them to someone who was same priority that didn't get drawn. We sure don`t need this much meat. It would be great if the tags could be reissued and we could stay at the same priority and possibly get a large critter every year or two instead of all at once then having to wait for 4 or 5 years to get another draw.
When applying for the draws I had our priority's all staggered to try and achieve this goal, but it seems to have blown up in my face. My problem now is who do I tell that we wont be putting much effort into harvesting their draw critter, the wife or the kid.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that women and kids seem to get drawn more frequently? I can`t prove it ,but it sure seems that way to me. My only complaint this year is that we have too many draws in our household. The wife and kid both got antlerless elk tags in the Big Valley area ( 208- 166- 164). The kid was a priority 2 and the wife was a priority 1. I would have 999 her application if I had thought there was even a chance that she would get drawn. The kid also got a cow moose draw in 222 has a priority 2. I have bull moose in 222 but I was a priority 5 and actually expected to get my tag.
The kid and I also got Antlered Mule tags, I was a 3 and the kid a 2. We also have a family friend that drew her cow moose tag in 208 has a priority 1.

There should be a way for us to opt out of a couple of these tags and give them to someone who was same priority that didn't get drawn. We sure don`t need this much meat. It would be great if the tags could be reissued and we could stay at the same priority and possibly get a large critter every year or two instead of all at once then having to wait for 4 or 5 years to get another draw.
When applying for the draws I had our priority's all staggered to try and achieve this goal, but it seems to have blown up in my face. My problem now is who do I tell that we wont be putting much effort into harvesting their draw critter, the wife or the kid.
999 is your friend!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 AM

Default Draws

Maybe mistakes are made and maybe not. Like it was said before, if you don't want to wait 15 years to hunt moose pick another area. The area we hunt (6 of us) takes Pri 1 to be drawn for early season moose. We get 3 tags every year. 3 put in, 3 999. The next year it's the opposite three. You have to work for them but the worst we have ever done in 8 years is get only 2 and leave one tag unfilled.

As for women and kids getting drawn. I used to live in NB where you get one deer tag a year. The last year I was there 87% of the deer shot on opening day were shot by women, or at least their tags were used first by hubby.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 AM

Default tags

If I shot her critter it would be me hanging from the hook in the shop. She is more than capable of getting the job done without my help. LOL
Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM

Default Suffield on a 9

Here is the reply I received from IBM.
Hello, I checked into the stats for Draw code 18, Antlered Elk, Draw Choice 720 and there were absolutely no applications with a priority 9 drawn!
There were 20 tags allocated for Draw code 18, Antlered Elk, Draw Choice
720, the lowest priority drawn was a 10.* Here are the stats:

Priority 13 - 1 drawn
Priority 12 - 2 drawn
Priority 11 - 6 drawn
Priority 10 - 11 drawn
14 priority 10's not drawn.
Unfortunately you were one of the 14 not drawn.
Seems like a decent response, and I believe she is telling me what her system shows. Unfortunately the one who drew with a 9 is certain it was a 9. Thought I would post the numbers so folks know where they stand for next season.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Here is the reply I received from IBM.
Hello, I checked into the stats for Draw code 18, Antlered Elk, Draw Choice 720 and there were absolutely no applications with a priority 9 drawn!
There were 20 tags allocated for Draw code 18, Antlered Elk, Draw Choice
720, the lowest priority drawn was a 10.* Here are the stats:

Priority 13 - 1 drawn
Priority 12 - 2 drawn
Priority 11 - 6 drawn
Priority 10 - 11 drawn
14 priority 10's not drawn.
Unfortunately you were one of the 14 not drawn.
Seems like a decent response, and I believe she is telling me what her system shows. Unfortunately the one who drew with a 9 is certain it was a 9. Thought I would post the numbers so folks know where they stand for next season.
I think most perceived draw problems can be traced back to people not knowing exactly what priority they were.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
I would have 999 her application if I had thought there was even a chance that she would get drawn. .
So why did you type in a WMU number instead of 999 if you didn't want to hunt this year, regardless of what you thought the "chances" were? No point suggesting the system should be changed. The system works fine. The problem lies elsewhere. LOL I think you just better take some time off in November and get hunting. Mabye pick up an extra freezer. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I think most perceived draw problems can be traced back to people not knowing exactly what priority they were.
I agree.

Also alot of people believe they entered a draw, and didn't check to see if it was the correct one! Either their own error or a store clerks. People need to check both, priority points and verify the draw print outs! Heck even online I print out all my draw applications to make sure I entered them correctly, and to have a paper trail. Just in case!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
So why did you type in a WMU number instead of 999 if you didn't want to hunt this year, regardless of what you thought the "chances" were?
Exactly.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Default chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly.
I should have, but if you look at draw results from 2011 there was a 0% chance of being drawn as a P 1 and only 60% if you were a 2.

Maybe there were a lot less people who applied this year since the draws were not mailed out. I just didnt think there was a chance in hell that she would get drawn as a P1.

I guess the friends and neighbors will get sick of sausage and jerky if we fill all tags.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
X1000000000000000000000

that and fat fingers on the keyboard with typos and way too many who just cant be bothered to read and understand the instructions.. it does provide a lot of entertainment around here though.....
Old 07-18-2012, 03:50 PM

First off, the Alberta system is far better than the rest of the western provinces bar none (Sask doesn't have enough draws to compare )

You could be in BC where there is no priority pooling and there are people here that have not drawn a tag in 20 years and there neighbor has drawn the same tag 5 times in that period.

I doubt the OP has that many people accurately relaying issues with the system in their "inner circle". I doubt that they have even looked at the draw statistics for last year. Check, understand and then double check, leave your sense on entitlement at the door and you'll likely stop whining.