Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Default Kimber vs Sako

I know another which rifle do I buy post. The two rifles in question are the Kimber 84m Montana vs the Sako finnlight 85, both in 7mm-08. The issue is I have handle both rifles, like them both. Maybe a small advantage to the finnlight. My main issue is I have never had the chance to fire either one. The Sako has a 1" 5 shot group guarantee. Kimber has nothing. I have found no issues with finnlight, but the Kimber seems to have some issues, I have nothing to support that first hand just what I have found doing research. I would like to hear from anyone using one of these rifles. Thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 PM

I have a Montana in 30-06 and a sako but not a finnlight

Tough to beat sako quality but I have had no issues with the kimber....side by side I would go for the finnlight
Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 PM

I have a model 85 finnlight in 300 win mag and it's amazing. Shoots super tight groups. The action is as smooth as they come and they are great to look at too. In also a huge fan of a detachable magazine. Big advantage to the sako. I have a few buddies that have kimbers and for the most part they are happy. In my opinion sakos are the best out of the box rifles made. Just my opinion.

Hope your happy with whatever you choose

Cheers
Old 05-05-2014, 07:28 PM

Both are quality rifles, pick which ever you like most.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 PM

I own 2 Sako 85s, both great shooters. My Finnlight will shoot a beauty tight cloverleaf at a .3 with factory Accubonds. Even my 375 Bavarian shoots .5 with 260gr Accubonds. I have put together several other 85s with various scope combinations for friends. Every Sako I have had my hands on functions flawlessly and shoots under an inch. One specific rifle is my good friend's Finnlight in 7-08. Another beauty of a rifle. I shot a few .5 and .6 groupings with Federal Powershocks.

Can't sing the same praise in my experience with Kimbers. I honestly do not like them. I have had several Montanas on the range and they were mostly terrible, two were finicky and we had to play with loads to get an inch. I had two tactical models on the range, neither of which shot better than 2MOA no matter what we put down the pipe. I can only think of one of my buddies that raves about his Montana; a 7-08 that does shoot very well. Despite my dislike for anything Kimber, I have to give this one rifle credit as it does shoot well.

My opinion says go for the Sako and have a guaranteed shooter.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Banned

I chose sako's fwiw
Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 PM

I don't have a sako but a kimber 84 classic I think in 308. Almost 6 pounds with its scope. Being a bit tricky to get to shoot. Last indicator is it likes rl 15. 41 gr at 2380 fps for a 175 smk. (Recoil - feels like 2900 fps)Just doing 3 shot groups. Hunting rifle. Gonna tinker a bit more. 41. 41.1 41.2 etc. see if that tightens up. Then maybe play a bit with col. But that's going backwards so maybe not. If it shoots .5 Moa at 100 I'll be happy. That's all I got to say/ help. What kind of issues does it have? Maybe get it bedded ?do you handload ? What have you used so far ? I do own a tikka in 270. And it's related to sako I think? Great gun. For me anyhow.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM

Go with the Sako you won't regret it...kind of like comparing apples to rotten apples.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 PM

Apples to rotten apples? C'mon boys, be nice.

I have owned a number of Sakos, my latest being a Finnlight. All of them very nice and great shooting rifles. I refer to them as boringly good.

I have had one Kimber. It was a Classic Select and it was beautiful. The fit and finish was the equal of any of the 5 Sakos I have owned. The gun was also equally accurate and shot 1/2" groups with next to no load development. I sold the thing because I realized I was too worried about the pretty wood while hunting.

Now to the Montana. It is a bit of a different animal. They are both lightweight rifles, but the Montana is on the ragged edge, with all the stops pulled out in an effort to shave an extra lb off the weight of a Finnlight. I haven't owned one yet, but am expecting mine to be in tomorrow. I have literally read every word I could, have spoken to Korth the distributor, as well as the dealer. I am confident that the accuracy issues that plagued them in years past have been largely solved. We will see soon enough.

The ONLY reason I sold my Finnlight was that I just couldn't wrap my head around an almost $2000 rifle with an injection moulded stock.

I may live to regret that decision. Then again, I may not
Old 05-05-2014, 09:41 PM

I own a 8400 Tactical, 3 bullets on top of each other at 100. Service out of Korth Group is to notch. However how are parts and service out of Stoeger, Sako parts are forever to get, I pick quality and service
Old 05-05-2014, 10:28 PM

I've bumped the "factory hunting rifle challenge" ... Hope some Sako/Kimber shooters find the time to post.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:19 AM

Default Kimber 84M Montana

Hi, I've got a Kimber 84M Montana in 7mm-08, Trijicon 3x9x40 Accu-Point(green Chevron Post).
I shoot Factory Fusion 120's and Hornady Superforemance 139SST's. No problems hitting a tennis ball at 150yrds. Good enough for me.
Love the rifle/scope. It's light , accurate , low recoil and I would recommend one to anybody.
A SAKO 85 S/S is a really nice rifle as well, had one, beautiful balance.
Me, I like the Kimber.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 AM

sounds like you have 2 strikes in your mind against the Kimber already .. Go Sako .
Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 AM

I'd buy the Kimber.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 AM

Sell the Kimber .....................and I do not want it.

You have not shot either of them seriously? Shoot them both and keep the one that suits you best. Base your decision on something other than what guys offer you on this post. You have not even said that you want to keep them both or sell one................what is your intention?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 AM

I have owned both at one time. The Kimber would outshoot the Sako from the bench......every time. The Sako has better workmanship, fit and finish as well as a removable magazine. The Kimber is lighter. Depending on your intended use, budget and what you want to scope it with, both are a viable choice.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 AM

Go with Sako!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 AM

A fair amount of Kimber hate in this thread. The Sako probably has a 95% chance of shooting great out of the box (even Sako makes some dogs). The Kimber may be a bit finicky out of the box, but play with it a bit and all the ones I've seen shoot.

Only two issues I have with the Sako: injection molded stock on a $1800 rifle is a slap in the face, Sako really needs to improve their synthetic stocks. Also, despite it's name, the finnlite is not very light when compared to purpose built lightweight rifles.

The Kimber has a great quality stock and is way lighter than the Sako. The Montana is not for everyone, it's like a purpose built race car: great at what it does, but you wouldn't want to drive it to work everyday. They basically take a modified M98 action and slim it down to the bare needed to shoot a certain class of cartridge. Blind mag, pencil barrel , it's meant to hunt hard and not to play at the range.

If you want a go anywhere and hunt hard rifle, the Montana is a awesome choice. If you don't need that light weight, well, The Sako may be easier to live with day to day .

My vote: Montana.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:36 AM

I had one of each. A Kimber came up for sale on AO, bought it, sold the Sako to finance the purchase.

Kimber
Old 05-06-2014, 11:51 AM

Was in the same boat a few months back and heard to many problems with that caliber's grouping @ and over 300 yrds. Only what I have heard. I would go with a Kimber in a diff caliber maybe. I also have experiance with the Sako's and they are beautiful as well. But I recently shot a 280AI Cooper against the 280AI Sako and my cooper had 3 of 5 shots at 200 yards half touching each other with the other 2 about .25 away. The Sako was like a 1.5-2" MOA. At 400 yrds the cooper in 3 shoots a twoonie could cover 2 holes and touch the third. Money is always the factor in these decisions but I think a custom would be a great heirloom as well
Old 05-06-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagespirit View Post
I own a 8400 Tactical, 3 bullets on top of each other at 100. Service out of Korth Group is to notch. However how are parts and service out of Stoeger, Sako parts are forever to get, I pick quality and service
I can't comment on Korths service with these rifles but I am sure it's good given their rep with Leupold. But I can comment on kimbers service and it sucks. I have never had a company tell me that an issue with their product is my problem because I live in canada. There was no willingness on their part to even work with me on the issue. No matter how good they maybe or what other think I will not support a company like that...
Old 05-06-2014, 02:44 PM

I wonder if Korth will warranty Kimbers not purchased through there authorized dealer network?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I can't comment on Korths service with these rifles but I am sure it's good given their rep with Leupold. But I can comment on kimbers service and it sucks. I have never had a company tell me that an issue with their product is my problem because I live in canada. There was no willingness on their part to even work with me on the issue. No matter how good they maybe or what other think I will not support a company like that...
They can't help you thanks to the US export restrictions, but Korth is the authorized Kimber distributor, and they look after the warranty work through their selected service center in Calgary.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
They can't help you thanks to the US export restrictions, but Korth is the authorized Kimber distributor, and they look after the warranty work through their selected service center in Calgary.
My issue was pre-korth but u would think they would work with me to get it fixed instead just telling too bad. I even offered to get it to a smith here of their choice but they wouldn't do anything at all. That's pathetic service sorry...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 PM

Neither shoot better than other rifles at half the price. You are paying for looks, features, smoothness. And I own a Finnlight.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Great choice in both guns. I have the Sako but have also hunted with the Kimber. Very little performance difference between them in my opinion, they are of equal quality. Buy the one the fits best but if they both fit great, buy the one that you prefer the look of next.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
My issue was pre-korth but u would think they would work with me to get it fixed instead just telling too bad. I even offered to get it to a smith here of their choice but they wouldn't do anything at all. That's pathetic service sorry...
Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't put you into contact with Korth and suggest you go to them for warranty service. Maybe the Kimber rep you got on the phone was a new guy
Old 05-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
The Montana is not for everyone, it's like a purpose built race car: great at what it does, but you wouldn't want to drive it to work everyday. They basically take a modified M98 action and slim it down to the bare needed to shoot a certain class of cartridge. Blind mag, pencil barrel , it's meant to hunt hard and not to play at the range.

If you want a go anywhere and hunt hard rifle, the Montana is a awesome choice. If you don't need that light weight, well, The Sako may be easier to live with day to day .

My vote: Montana.
very well said. i just bought one in 270wsm but have yet to shoot it. it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the sako does, or some of the other factory rifles, but to me that was the selling point. ya the blind mag is a pain in white tail country, but in my backpack the mag has shells in it for a week straight.

its like anything-- to be good at everything it'll be excellent at nothing, and to be excellent at something it wont be good at everything
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 PM

btw, good luck finding a 7mm08 in a montana. i wanted one, called literally all over western canada to find one and just about had to import it, but settled on a different caliber. btw p&d had a hundred bucks off a 270win that i almost bought, i think its still there
Old 05-06-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_pass88 View Post
btw p&d had a hundred bucks off a 270win that i almost bought, i think its still there
Take note. That is not a 84L at P&D, but is an at least four year old 8400. There is a big difference. The 84L is a pound lighter and has a different shaped, much more streamlined stock.

How do I know? Dianne pawned it off on me, got madder than a hornet at me when I phoned her when I got home and noticed, and then charged me $90 restocking fee. Nice. I will never ever buy another gun from that place. And as many of us know, I am not the only guy who has been treated like that by her. But she doesn't give a damn. Her sales go up every month anyhow.