Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-05-2014, 08:09 PM

Default Bow hunting Elk

Hey guys

So im going down to college in Lethbridge and didn't get bow hunting last year but going to make an effort this year. My question is, in the beaver mines area so WMU 302 or 400, is that pretty decent elk bow hunting? I've been honing up on my reed calling with my Rocky Mountain bugling bull elk calls, still need to find a bully bull grunt tube tho. Really would like to bugle in and shoot my first bull elk
Old 07-05-2014, 09:50 PM

If I lived in Lethbridge I would be going east for Archery Elk, not west.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-06-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
It's all draw east of Lethbridge for elk, all the 100's WMU elk are draw, I put in for near suffield but I doubt Ill be drawn this year, so I was looking more for general elk
Old 07-06-2014, 02:24 AM

C'mon Fitzy, you should know this stuff.

Read the regs. (draw booklet or Wildlife Act Regulations). You might be happily surprised with what it says about the 100's.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-06-2014, 12:17 PM

No kidding! I am
Old 07-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
C'mon Fitzy, you should know this stuff.

Read the regs. (draw booklet or Wildlife Act Regulations). You might be happily surprised with what it says about the 100's.
Oh man. How did I miss that. I know I read that whole changes section 3 or 4 times.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Shhhhhhhh ...lol

Neil
Old 07-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Shhhhhhhh ...lol

Neil
X2
Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Shhhhhhhh ...lol

Neil

But remaining secretive of this change is not in the best interest of the archery community.

This season was created as a General archery season in contradiction to current strategies with regards to Resident Allowable harvest allocations guidelines. By the numbers and recent decisions there simply should have been an increase in the number of draw licences issued for the combined archery/general weapon draw, but it was decided to allow for a general archery season instead as a management tool acceptable to the landowners
with the intention of harassing and killing some of those elk where they are causing problems.

If there are Not a sufficient number of archery hunters participating in this hunt then the pressure will be on to return this allowable harvest to the Draw pool. Use it or lose it.

For those who missed it.

A New General Archery Antlered and Antlerless Elk season has been added in WMUs 151,152,164 and 166 from Sept.1 - Oct. 31. 2014.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:34 AM

lol..have to agree...actually its a good thing for me as it spreads out fellow hunters...and Opportunities open for many..

They opened my home WMU 328 last year...I already took my Elk at the cabin but my hunting buddy, a neighbor took a P&Y class bull practically right off his doorstep.

Neil
Old 07-08-2014, 10:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:

But remaining secretive of this change is not in the best interest of the archery community.

This season was created as a General archery season in contradiction to current strategies with regards to Resident Allowable harvest allocations guidelines. By the numbers and recent decisions there simply should have been an increase in the number of draw licences issued for the combined archery/general weapon draw, but it was decided to allow for a general archery season instead as a management tool acceptable to the landowners
with the intention of harassing and killing some of those elk where they are causing problems.

If there are Not a sufficient number of archery hunters participating in this hunt then the pressure will be on to return this allowable harvest to the Draw pool. Use it or lose it.

For those who missed it.

A New General Archery Antlered and Antlerless Elk season has been added in WMUs 151,152,164 and 166 from Sept.1 - Oct. 31. 2014.
Finally a direction we agree on haha...any change that helps spread the pressure out is a great thing. Especially if it helps landowners.

Tags
bow hunting, elk, elk hunting, southern