Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-19-2014, 05:13 PM

Default Moose and elk with rage?

hey all,

I know this will be a split vote or even most on the fixed blade side. Have any of you used a mechanical on moose or elk and how does it work for you? I mean Tom Miranda used them to do the super slam..... what is your experience?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:22 PM

Grim reaper 1 3/8" and my last two bulls didn't go far.
63lb carbon matrix.

One was 7 yrds and one was 53yrds. One was quartering to and one was quartering away.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:28 PM

Dumped an elk with grim reapers last year. No complaints.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Dumped an elk with grim reapers last year. No complaints.
Very nice!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:52 PM

Shot my P&Y elk with Grim Reapers 100gr razor tips last year, pass through @ 35 yards and lots of blood.

LC
Old 06-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Myself and my son used grim reapers on bears with a crossbow in 2012, my bear went 15 yards. Best expandable broadheads on the market as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:14 PM

im looking at using the 2 blade or maybe the new hypodermics
Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb985 View Post
im looking at using the 2 blade or maybe the new hypodermics
I have actually heard great things about the hypodermics.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 PM

Default Three blade Rage

Two years ago, I found a bull moose dead...shot quartering away with a three blade rage...only went in about 5 inches hit liver but never made it to the lungs, with all that hair and hide, if it was a fixed...I think it would have hit the mark...angle was good for a kill shot.

I'd rather see someone using fixed on large game...just my opinion, that and anyone with low draw weight should not shoot mechanicals at anything they intend to harvest.

Just my take on this subject.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
Two years ago, I found a bull moose dead...shot quartering away with a three blade rage...only went in about 5 inches hit liver but never made it to the lungs, with all that hair and hide, if it was a fixed...I think it would have hit the mark...angle was good for a kill shot.

I'd rather see someone using fixed on large game...just my opinion, that and anyone with low draw weight should not shoot mechanicals at anything they intend to harvest.

Just my take on this subject.
Okay I need some education on this subject. What's the rationale for not wanting to use expandables on moose and elk?? I am planning on using the rage 2 blade 2.3" this fall. Should I be reconsidering this? I'm shooting a Bowtech carbon knight at 70lbs. Is penetration the issue? Thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 PM

Why use a two blade when there are 3 blade broad heads?

A slit (2 blade) broad head and "plug up" and clot up faster than 3 flaps (3 blade)....in my experience and opinion a 3 or 4 blade head is superior to a two blade.

LC
Old 06-19-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Why use a two blade when there are 3 blade broad heads?

A slit (2 blade) broad head and "plug up" and clot up faster than 3 flaps (3 blade)....in my experience and opinion a 3 or 4 blade head is superior to a two blade.

LC
So are you saying that the three blade expandables are better? Should I look at those? Or at fixed blades?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:33 PM

Get any good 3 blade mechanical and don't look back. My vote is for grim reapers. My hunting partner and I have harvested more than a couple of elk and moose with them and they function more than adequately! Seriously!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:04 AM

Rage 2 blade 100's pass through of bull moose
Old 06-20-2014, 01:04 AM

Hypodermic....

Fixed anything that anybody could complain about rage.

Only thing that truly flied EXACTLY the same as my field points. Exactly for all five pins.

As a side not I see rage came out with a real fancy 3 blade this year.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:20 PM

Anybody try the t3's from G5? They fly just like my field points. On YouTube penetration looks good but that's youtube haha
Old 06-20-2014, 09:43 PM

Default Two blade

Since I went from fixed to the two blade Rage I have never looked back.
Put one into a Canadian Bull moose couple years ago, through a rib on the way in, and he went 110 yards and was done. The 2"+ entry hole makes finding animals easy.
There's lots of great/favorite broadheads out there, this is mine.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Since I went from fixed to the two blade Rage I have never looked back.
Put one into a Canadian Bull moose couple years ago, through a rib on the way in, and he went 110 yards and was done. The 2"+ entry hole makes finding animals easy.
There's lots of great/favorite broadheads out there, this is mine.

love reading that!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 AM

Shot my elk at 50 yds. Pass through and stuck in the ground a couple inchs. That was with the 2" grimreaper. Going with the 1 3/8 this year.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:14 AM

Default My opinion

Why a lot of people have failures with mech's is not the BH's fault but the user. Since they are using a mech. they do not test their flight with a fixed BH and they are failing to address tuning issues. Mech's work optimally when striking 90 degrees to the target. Some designs can take more angle than others but at some point they will all fail. So if the arrow is still fish tailing or cork screwing when it hits, you not only lose penetration but risk a failure to deploy. My advice is to buy a pack of fixed, ST's Muzzy's what ever. Tune it properly but don't get over anal, hitting within 2-3 inches of your FP at 40 yards is good. Then screw on the Mech's and go hunt. Also while you are doing the tuning you may surprise yourself and want to stick with the fixed BH based on their flight and reliability.

I shoot ST's primarily but I have 1 grim reaper in the quiver if the right shot presents itself. If I was going strictly mech I would use the Grim Reapers or NAP Spit Fires 3 blades.

Good Luck

Good Luck
Old 06-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Why a lot of people have failures with mech's is not the BH's fault but the user. Since they are using a mech. they do not test their flight with a fixed BH and they are failing to address tuning issues. Mech's work optimally when striking 90 degrees to the target. Some designs can take more angle than others but at some point they will all fail. So if the arrow is still fish tailing or cork screwing when it hits, you not only lose penetration but risk a failure to deploy. My advice is to buy a pack of fixed, ST's Muzzy's what ever. Tune it properly but don't get over anal, hitting within 2-3 inches of your FP at 40 yards is good. Then screw on the Mech's and go hunt. Also while you are doing the tuning you may surprise yourself and want to stick with the fixed BH based on their flight and reliability.

I shoot ST's primarily but I have 1 grim reaper in the quiver if the right shot presents itself. If I was going strictly mech I would use the Grim Reapers or NAP Spit Fires 3 blades.

Good Luck
Yep.

And that's why I shoot and recommend fixed blade, three blade broadheads. If someone doesnt want to spend the time tuning for perfect flight, they shouldn't be shooting at animals. "Good enough" is, till it isn't, and then you have a very long tracking job. A lot of animals shot with "good enough" are never recovered.

Regarding 2 vs 3 blades, the 'flaps' created by a 3 blade head move around and stay open far longer than a 'slit' from a 2 blade head.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:13 PM

I took a cow elk last year with a grim reaper 100 grain expandable. She took a nap after going 20 yards. I have taken two animals with those heads now and have no complaints.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:41 PM

100gr Rage Hypodermic 2013

100gr Rage 2 blade 2011

Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 PM

Nice lookin bull! hope I can drop one this year as well!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
100gr Rage Hypodermic 2013

100gr Rage 2 blade 2011

Nice bull Nathan, how did you like the hypodermic?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:38 PM

Default Hypodermic

Took my bull elk at 30 yards with a Rage Hypodermic. Will be using them for my moose hunt this fall.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Nice bull Nathan, how did you like the hypodermic?
Phill used them last year not me. Zero damage to the head/blades other than it needed to be resharpened.

I shot the second bull in the post a few years ago. Quartering away shot and arrow only penetrated 6-8", I got the liver but didn't recover my bull until the next morning. Switched to 125gr buzzcuts after that.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:16 PM

Default Mechanicals

The problems encountered with mechanicals have to do with "cartwheeling" on an angled shot. This has been proved over and over again, so those who have had good results on broadside shots and are recommending them might change their opinions after an angled shot goes bad.

The advise about tuning with fixed heads first is pretty good advise in my books.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The problems encountered with mechanicals have to do with "cartwheeling" on an angled shot. This has been proved over and over again, so those who have had good results on broadside shots and are recommending them might change their opinions after an angled shot goes bad.

The advise about tuning with fixed heads first is pretty good advise in my books.
Grim reapers tips are 5/8" away from where the blades start. They have independently spring loaded blades so that steep angle shots are no problem. That first bull I posted was quartering to so hard that the broadhead ended up in his hind quarter. There are videos on the internet showing grims being shot into a piece of plywood on a 45 degree angle.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 AM

I wouldn't use anything but a Rage. Great head, everything I shoot at dies and is recovered in a few short steps. These are just a few of the 50+ big game animals that I have shot with Rage or Snypers (Rage precursor) over the last 10-12 years. I have seen many heads have issues over the years and helped more than one buddy try to recover animals that were poorly hit due to a number of reasons (poor arrow flight, shot angle, hit bone etc) and most heads will have issues with a poorly placed shot. I shoot the Rage because they will have the most consistent flight and help reduce any influences I may have on my shooting due to being crouched, excited or anything else that may happen when you are in the field. As for the big animals, the Rage have performed just fine on moose and Elk for me, one of my hunting buddies had a complete pass-through on a moose at 60 yards a few years back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mule Deer- 1MB.jpg (89.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Elk resized.jpg (146.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2656.jpg (96.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Hunting Trip 02 019.jpg (89.3 KB, 137 views)