Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Default New to Archery

I've got a few questions,

First anybody bought a package from http://www.huntersfriend.com/ I priced them out vs. cabela's and they were about $400.00 Cheaper if I were to buy the exact package locally (Yes I converted the US Dollar to Canadian Funds)

Second For a first bow what would you recommend

The two that have caught my rookie eye

PSE Prophecy (Single)
Bowtech Carbon Knight (Binary)

Please give me advice!!!!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Or thoughts on the Quest brand
Old 07-02-2014, 04:51 PM

The best thing to do is shoot a whole lot of different bows and let the bow choose you.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Someone new to archery should get their bow at a pro shop, in my opinion. Very good chance of you ordering a bow that is wrong draw length. Probably will need tuning. You could get a cheap bow then pay a pro shop to set it up for you
Old 07-02-2014, 05:06 PM

I agree with CTaylor.....buy from a pro shop. You will learn more there during the process that will more than make up for any price difference.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Pro shop, on a week day morning, plan to spend the whole day, shooting different bows and asking tons of questions.

Dont over-shoot the first few times, you need to give your muscles time and practice to strengthen. Years ago I made the mistake of shooting 5 different 70 lb bows many times each, then couldn't move my shoulder for a few days, no damage but could have been worse. 3-5 shots from a bow and you will know if its a good fit. Don't be afraid to ask for a 60 lb bow or less if necessary.

There is technical info to learn and understand with compound bows, it ain't rocket science.....well, i guess some of it is.... but there are details that must be taken care of or you may end up injuring yourself, or just not liking it because you don't get the results you're after.

It really is time and money well spent.

Welcome to the addiction
Old 07-02-2014, 11:04 PM

Don't be afraid to ask for a 40# bow either!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:01 AM

That all seems like great advice, One of the things I HATE doing is buying things twice, So are there a type/band of bow I should NOT buy? based on durability ect....
Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 AM

Oh, And other then Cabels where should I go? I'm in edmonton
Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 AM

LOST arrow - wainwright, if you don't mind the drive, or want to ensure you don't get interrupted by a "honey do" list.

Trophy Book Archery - in Spruce grove, talk to Billie Jo or Richard

Accurate Archery - Alberta beach, never been myself but Lawrence has a good reputation on here.

Smaller pro shops have more time to help you, and usually more experienced staff. cabelas can be hit or miss depending on how busy they are.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:17 PM

If you're new go to a good pro shop and they will spend the time with you to set you up properly and answer your questions. I've had good luck with Swamp donkey, Pipestone, SPAL & Accurate Archery but if I was doing it over (as a total newbie) I would no doubt go to Accurate first. It's an hour drive for me but I don't mind and find it's worth it. Lawrence has the total package, service, knowledge and product on the shelves.

I've never been to LOST Arrow but I'm pretty confident that Neil's place would be great to go to, too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Banned

Have purchased lots through SPAL (Sherwood Park Archery Lanes) and have had nothing but good service.
Cabela's sucks a lot of people in.
They go there first without checking the local shops under the misguided thinking that because it's 'BIG AND AMERICAN' it's going to be cheaper.
What I've found is that they will have a few items priced very attractively to get you in the store...but overall their prices are no better than Wholesale or a number of locals...all of which give you more personalized service.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:21 PM

Default New to Archery

Do yourself a favor and go to a good archery site like Archery Talk and educate yourself a little before you go shopping. You might also enquire with friends who might have friends that can give you some mentoring. There is lots to learn and anything you can do to help yourself understand the basics in design, available technology and equipment will not only benefit you, but will benefit the people at the pro shop too. If you do something to help yourself out like that you will increase your chances of having a better experience at any of the shops recommended here.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:12 PM

I'd say accurate archery is your best bet. Or swamp donkey.

Go to trophy book if you wanna pay high prices for accessories

Also don't be afraid of going used

Lots of good deals on archery talk
Old 07-04-2014, 09:46 AM

What's your draw length ?
What hand do you release with ?
Hunting, target or all purpose bow ?
What poundage are you considering ?
Just a few things to consider when shopping , some answers to these questions may narrow down your selection for you
Old 07-04-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCROB View Post
What's your draw length ?
What hand do you release with ?
Hunting, target or all purpose bow ?
What poundage are you considering ?
Just a few things to consider when shopping , some answers to these questions may narrow down your selection for you
eye dominance could be an issue as well.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:10 AM

What hand do you release with ? Right
Hunting, target or all purpose bow ? Hunting but would like to try target
What poundage are you considering ? Would like a range between 60-80
I'm right eye dominant
Old 07-04-2014, 10:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Pro shop, on a week day morning, plan to spend the whole day, shooting different bows and asking tons of questions.

Dont over-shoot the first few times, you need to give your muscles time and practice to strengthen. Years ago I made the mistake of shooting 5 different 70 lb bows many times each, then couldn't move my shoulder for a few days, no damage but could have been worse. 3-5 shots from a bow and you will know if its a good fit. Don't be afraid to ask for a 60 lb bow or less if necessary.

There is technical info to learn and understand with compound bows, it ain't rocket science.....well, i guess some of it is.... but there are details that must be taken care of or you may end up injuring yourself, or just not liking it because you don't get the results you're after.

It really is time and money well spent.

Welcome to the addiction
X2

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Banned

Because you said you priced out a package at Cabelas I am going to assume you are in the Edmonton area. Go to Alberta beach, see Lawrence at Accurate Archery and you will have all your questions answered from a friendly, and knowledgable professional. He has bows from several manufacturers, in different weights and draw lengths which you can try to see which one you prefer. He won't pressure you to buy something, nor will he give you bad advise. Whether or not you buy a bow there, you will walk out of there with the knowledge and confidence that what you purchase will be the right package for you. Bows are like girlfriends, just because one guy gets along with them, doesn't mean another guy will.