Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Proof of Hunters Ed has been mandatory for "first time hunters" since the mid 80's - not sure of the exact year, but if you are under 48 years of age or so, you must have taken the hunter ed course to hold a licence in Alberta (unless you are covered by the out-of-province exemptions).
I’m 43 I challenged the test at age 12 without taking the course and only lived in Alberta. Maybe 88 was the last year you could have challenged it.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
I don’t truck hunt. I was walking back to my truck from sitting on a field calling yotes. As soon as I got to my truck that’s when he drove up from around the corner.
I was parked on private property and so was he when he was hiding, waiting for me.
I'm betting someone reported you saying that you didn't legally aquire your hunting licence and you were out hunting something. That's my guess. No other reason he would go after that info in the field. I have never known anyone to be asked for that info and it wouldn't make any sense for him to expect you to have it as it's not a requirement to have with you.
Most officers are good guys and don't act strange like that unless they are trying to gather evidence.
Have you ****ed off anyone lately or give someone the impression that you just moved here?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Have you ****ed off anyone lately or give someone the impression that you just moved here?
Not that I know of, but you never know these days. Seems everyone peed off.

I’ll be back out this weekend, without my proof of hunters Ed on me, as it’s been registered to my AlbertaRELM account for quite some time now.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You are so wrong it isn't even possible to enumerate all the things you are wrong about. Long and short, Fish and Wildlife has far wider search without warrant abilities under the Wildlife Act than the RCMP do under the legislation that covers them. Go read the act sometime and educate yourself so you don't get in trouble for not knowing what your actual rights are.
Can't quite tell if you think FW has rights to search, stop carte blanch, or not. Regardless. Here's my info on the subject.

Search/stop without probable cause is in complete violation of your charter rights, with your charter rights trumping any provincial FW act. This was the outcome when Dunn and Associates questioned FW on a specific stop and search without probable cause.

I can't post the link,right now, but read allllllllll about it by googling. "Alberta wildlife officers exceed power of search and seizure, advocate daily".

No doubt they violate charter rights all the time, even though they know they can't. They'll throw as much against the wall and see what sticks.

Good thing Dunn and Associates were able to put them in their place.

Last edited by Joe Black; 12-05-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
You are fine. You do not need an AB hunter training course http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...encecosts.html
REQUIREMENTS

Wildlife Identification Number (WiN)
Hunters and anglers in Alberta must possess a 10-digit Wildlife Identification Number (WiN) to apply for draws, purchase wildlife certificates, licences and replacements.

Please keep your information up to date; address changes can be made online or at an issuer.

Wildlife Certificate
Hunters must possess a valid Wildlife Certificate and the applicable hunting licence to hunt big game or game birds. Licences and applicable tags must be carried on their person while hunting.

Licensing requirements for first-time hunters

NOTE: all new first-time hunters who have qualified for obtaining recreational hunting licences by successfully completing the Alberta Conservation and Hunter education course, will be required to provide on their WiN profile, their hunter certificate number that is issued to each course graduate, in order to be eligible to purchase a hunting licence.

A first-time hunter is a hunter who 1) has not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere, or 2) has not prior to April 1, 2010, met Alberta first-time hunter criteria, or 3) has not successfully completed a hunter education course in Alberta or elsewhere.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:33 PM

I'd be far more worried about the illegal search personally!
Old 12-06-2019, 11:26 PM

So my certificate from June 7 1972 Is still valid?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingdad View Post
I'd be far more worried about the illegal search personally!
There was no illegal search do some reading of the Act that imports F&W. They had reasonable suspicion of hunting.

And the “"Alberta wildlife officers exceed power of search and seizure, advocate”. Case law Does enforce that random spot checks are not within the act however it likely came down to proper articulation of the officers suspicion which lead to the case being dropped. It certainly does not go against the act as a whole being against our charter rights as a generality but in this case specifically it was found reasonable suspicion was not proven.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:28 PM

I too being an old grey hair took Hunter Training course in school 1982 pre records.

Good Friends from California are wanting me to make a trip south to do a group hunt in Colorado That state has no past hunting license criteria so its a Must have for a certificate. If it pans out guess I have to re take course.

On a side note its harder hoop jumping wise for a Canadian citizen to transport a firearm south to hunt than for a US citizen to bring one here to hunt with.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkerwhite View Post
There was no illegal search do some reading of the Act that imports F&W. They had reasonable suspicion of hunting.

And the “"Alberta wildlife officers exceed power of search and seizure, advocate”. Case law Does enforce that random spot checks are not within the act however it likely came down to proper articulation of the officers suspicion which lead to the case being dropped. It certainly does not go against the act as a whole being against our charter rights as a generality but in this case specifically it was found reasonable suspicion was not proven.
Random checks are fine....random searches no!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
I too being an old grey hair took Hunter Training course in school 1982 pre records.

Good Friends from California are wanting me to make a trip south to do a group hunt in Colorado That state has no past hunting license criteria so its a Must have for a certificate. If it pans out guess I have to re take course.

On a side note its harder hoop jumping wise for a Canadian citizen to transport a firearm south to hunt than for a US citizen to bring one here to hunt with.
Colorado is a pain
Have to have proof
Best to call in advance and check if the system recognizes the numbers from the course you do here
Transporting a rifle south into the USA is easy
Old 12-08-2019, 08:54 PM

Default F&W search/questions

I don't recommend giving the Fish and Wild life permission to search anything. They have no right or business searching your stuff. Further I wouldn't answer a single question. ID and that's it. They have zero interest in being respectful or helpful and are ticket happy. They want to believe their protecting the resource but reality is their entire job revolves around harassing the outdoorsmen. If RCMP did the same type of nonsense the public would be outraged.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
After an unsuccessful evening coyote hunt I make way back to my truck to find a f&w officer hiding around the corner.

After asking me about what I was up to he asks me a rather odd question.

If I have my hunters Ed card on me, or if I can prove I’m that I did it. He then proceeded to take my game bird license and wildlife certificate so that he can scan and email it away to find out if I actually did the training. Officer comes back, briefly searches my vehicle/packs and says he will let me know if there’s any issues.

Anyone been ask to provide proof of hunters Ed?
I just found it rather odd.
Recently watched a reality show based in the US, where a couple of Oakley wearing F&W officers go racing around to trip up a family of hunters (father plus 3 20+ year olds) who may have been hunting without completing their hunter training course. They’re pretty stoked that the 3 of them can be charged for a fine for each year for the last 7 or 8years.

The family members looks like they grew up with a gun in their hand and probably have been hunting since a kid. BUT, the oakley jack-wads are on the trail racing down the road, hot on the trail of 3 desperados!!!

Pathetic!!!!

Seems some new COs in Alberta watch the show as well....and got some ideas for funding raises.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Recently watched a reality show based in the US, where a couple of Oakley wearing F&W officers go racing around to trip up a family of hunters (father plus 3 20+ year olds) who may have been hunting without completing their hunter training course. They’re pretty stoked that the 3 of them can be charged for a fine for each year for the last 7 or 8years.

The family members looks like they grew up with a gun in their hand and probably have been hunting since a kid. BUT, the oakley jack-wads are on the trail racing down the road, hot on the trail of 3 desperados!!!

Pathetic!!!!

Seems some new COs in Alberta watch the show as well....and got some ideas for funding raises.
Change the channel.....cottage life is on

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post

Pathetic!!!!

IIRC that bunch was reported as having been baiting and hunting on land that they did not have permission on as well as other charges .
It’s s TV reality show after all.......,
Cat
Old 12-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
IIRC that bunch was reported as having been baiting and hunting on land that they did not have permission on as well as other charges .
It’s s TV reality show after all.......,
Cat
Nope! No other charges. The focus was on them not taking the course.
In the end turns out one of them had accidentally had taken the trapping course instead of the hunting course. But they sure did burn a lot of gas to catch these harden criminals (sic).

It’s still a pathetic waste of time chasing people for bureaucratic rule violations. As always .....chase those who try to follow the rules and ignore the hardcore criminals as that’s too much time effort paperwork......and really doesn’t add to the budget funds vs time spent.

And as to validity of the Hunter Training and Conservation cert.....I took the course in Grade 9....wanted to be a CO....passed the test easily.....all the rest of the class failed.......teacher was a lazy douche bag who didn’t really teach the course.......because all but one failed it looked bad on him.......he increased everyone’s (except mine) test marks so they all passed.......so from that class we have a bunch of people with their HT&C cert.... but not really......but they are good to go with the current rules. Shows you the effectiveness of bureaucratic paperwork.