Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 12:54 PM

Default One Scope, multiple rifles

So just pondering this as I’ve done some reading and it seems feasible...does anyone run a scope, or group of scopes that are readily interchangeable between rifles?

I’m thinking that with the right optics with a zero stop capability this would be fairly simple to do in theory, but my question is whether anyone actually does it practically or whether it’s too much of a pain to bother.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Dentler in Germany makes an adjustable base for this very purpose. It means that you don't adjust scope endlessly for each rifle. Pretty neat idea, I doubt the base is cheap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kBTQb4L3fo
Old 12-03-2019, 01:14 PM

I have not done it , but I don't think there is anything positive that would blaance thew PIA factor. The hassle of re-sighting the gun or not having glass on the gun you want when you want it and such.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Dentler in Germany makes an adjustable base for this very purpose. It means that you don't adjust scope endlessly for each rifle. Pretty neat idea, I doubt the base is cheap!

Not cheap and you need one for every rifle
Old 12-03-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhat View Post
So just pondering this as I’ve done some reading and it seems feasible...does anyone run a scope, or group of scopes that are readily interchangeable between rifles?

I’m thinking that with the right optics with a zero stop capability this would be fairly simple to do in theory, but my question is whether anyone actually does it practically or whether it’s too much of a pain to bother.
Discard the whole idea in my opinion...…...to much pain. You only have one rifle that you can count to use right now...………..and only if you sighted it in after the last time you swapped it. If it's about saving money, it's still not a good plan. In the end, you'll know what you should have done.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:41 PM

It's not hard at all. Just get a setup with dependable rugged quick release rings and know the point of impact changes between rifles. Just turn your dials to the known distance ex. 10 MOA up 5 MOA right for the 308 then minus the same to go back to the 6.5creedmoor. I haven't done it for long term but have swapped scopes on ar15's with a friend and just remember where to dial and rezero when you swap back and it's no issue at all.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-03-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
It's not hard at all. Just get a setup with dependable rugged quick release rings and know the point of impact changes between rifles. Just turn your dials to the known distance ex. 10 MOA up 5 MOA right for the 308 then minus the same to go back to the 6.5creedmoor. I haven't done it for long term but have swapped scopes on ar15's with a friend and just remember where to dial and rezero when you swap back and it's no issue at all.
If you are using the rifle for hunting it would be very unethical not to check sighting before going out.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Easy Peasy

One Word Picatinny Rail (ya i know two words). Put Pic rails on all your rifles. You can then switch your scope to any rifle re zero and your off to the races. You can pick any scope with adjustable turrets. I would recommend a mount like a SPHUR. They are expensive but they keep your original zero. Then you just count clicks to change between firearms and theoretically you just dial it back when you switch to the original firearm.

Here is a company in Canada that sells them. They arent cheap. But I would rather spend 4-5K on a great scope and use it on all my rifles then spending $1500 on 4 or 5 scopes for several rifles

https://www.coretacsolutions.com/pro...ope_addons.htm

A video explaining how the system works
https://youtu.be/K1ya7nLb_Qk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sphur Mount.jpg (16.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-03-2019, 05:21 PM

IMHE,
It is remarkably easy to exchange good quality optics on several rifles,
provided the optics have ‘tip-off’ (Picatinny or Weaver) type rings,
and all rifles have a properly installed Picatinny 1913 (or NATO) spec rail.

The qualifying adjectives are ‘good quality’ and ‘properly installed’.

The Picatinny 1913 (and the current NATO) rail specifications were specifically developed to enable quick and accurate exchange of optics as conditions and mission requirements require.

The optic must have mechanical adjustments that are accurate and precise, and the rail must be properly aligned with the bore.

Caution: All slotted rails are NOT proper Picatinny (or NATO) spec.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

These work very well. Most of the high end German mounting systems provide complete repeatability when taking a scope of and on a gun. Outside of using an adjustable base system I would not be willing to swap one scope onto multiple guns unless I could verify the sighting each time.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
If you are using the rifle for hunting it would be very unethical not to check sighting before going out.
Never said I didn't re check zero. We do it with competition ar15's so we are at the range shooting them already and it's no big deal to quickly check zero.
I know of at least one extremely competent long range shooter who did the same with his rifles for a while.
For anyone wondering this is the mount I use.
https://www.americandefensemanufactu...iew/product/5/

Old 12-02-2020, 06:24 PM

Default Update

So I just wanted to provide an update on this as I decided to give it a go anyway (even if it was just out of curiosity).

I picked up some exceptional rails and a transferable mount from Near Mfg. and have been running a Nightforce SHV across a couple of my Tikkas (one coyote rifle, another hunting).

I couldn't be happier and the repeatability is shocking. Maybe it's attributable to the rails and scope mount, but I have my zero set with the hunting rifle and within about 60 seconds and a couple of clicks, I'm good to go with the coyote rig if I so choose.

Again, I say this after having this on for some time that the consistency is there each and every time. Can't guarantee it would happen every time with every setup, but it sure worked out for me.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:39 PM

EAW used to make bases and rings . Not sure if they still do.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:50 PM

My experience is all with R&R of a scope off the same gun, off a dovetail type rail with regular Ruger or Burris rings at the range, it works, works well, Used to have to swap from scope to irons and back and forth. One was a modified Ruger base off a #1 and the other was on a dovetail built onto the barrel.
The other setup I've used is a Recknagel swivel mount setup, and also, claw mounts. They both work well. Lot of Euros use a rail mount that is built on to the scope.
Lots of ways to do it, they all work, swapping guns is a bit trickier in readjusting the scope, but, it certainly will work as long as you retain the settings for each gun.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:08 AM

Hey anything is possible if you want to resight each time you swap out the scope then no worries.

You could have 2 cars and only 1 set of rims and tires and swap them back and forth to, heck the possibilities are endless depending on how much time and effort you want to put into it.

At the end of the day are you really gaining anything ?????

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Hey anything is possible if you want to resight each time you swap out the scope then no worries.

You could have 2 cars and only 1 set of rims and tires and swap them back and forth to, heck the possibilities are endless depending on how much time and effort you want to put into it.

Or, a guy could have a set of winter tires/rims and a set of summer tires/rims, but only one car. Should he buy a second car for the second set of tires/rims that he maybe only uses for part of the year?
Old 12-03-2020, 09:15 AM

many match shooters swap iron sights and scopes on a continual basis between rifles, but we have the opportunity in may disciplines to shoot sighters on our match targets, and if the dope is right, the first shot "goes right in there", as the mounts for these rifles are very high end tolerance wise.

I take my scope off my hunting rifle on a regular basis and reinstall it with no need to re-zero. I use Zeiss QD mounts on it and have tested it often at the range , and have total confidence inn thee set up. My max range with this rifle is only 300 meter however.
Cat
Old 12-03-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post

Where I really see the gain is when you are low budget but want high end optics on multiple rifles. For myself I have been contemplating a extremely high end scope to swap between 2 bench guns. Instead of spending 2k twice for 2 scopes I buy one scope and swap between rifles.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Where I really see the gain is when you are low budget but want high end optics on multiple rifles. For myself I have been contemplating a extremely high end scope to swap between 2 bench guns. Instead of spending 2k twice for 2 scopes I buy one scope and swap between rifles.

Will work juist fine on a 2 bench gun setup. Like I said earlier, there are lots of mounts that will allow a scope to be removed and replaced on a hunting rifle so you can use the scope or iron sights.(Leupold QD, Zeiss QD, Claw mounts, Reknagel etc) Those same mounts do not work for 2 hunting rifles unless you can re-sight. The only one I have ever seen that worked perfectly is the adjustable base version and they are nearly as expansive as a good quality scope. Last set I saw to do two rifles, one scope two bases, would have cost about $1,200 Canadian. IF you did 3 or 4 rifles the cost would become more reasonable, though you need an adjustable base for each. Most European hunters are VERY wealthy. Functionality is far more important to them than the one time cost to purchase. Also, they don't tend to buy and sell guns like we do, they get setup and will keep those guns for generations.

https://www.dentler-jagdwaffen.de/en...sis-vario.html

https://optics-info.com/dentler-basi...ount-iwa-2019/

Last edited by Dean2; 12-03-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Will work juist fine on a 2 bench gun setup. Like I said earlier, there are lots of mounts that will allow a scope to be removed and replaced on a hunting rifle so you can use the scope or iron sights.(Leupold QD, Zeiss QD, Claw mounts, Reknagel etc) Those same mounts do not work for 2 hunting rifles unless you can re-sight. The only one I have ever seen that worked perfectly is the adjustable base version and they are nearly as expansive as a good quality scope. Last set I saw to do two rifles, one scope two bases, would have cost about $1,200 Canadian. IF you did 3 or 4 rifles the cost would become more reasonable, though you need an adjustable base for each. Most European hunters are VERY wealthy. Functionality is far more important to them than the one time cost to purchase. Also, they don't tend to buy and sell guns like we do, they get setup and will keep those guns for generations.
https://www.dentler-jagdwaffen.de/en...sis-vario.html
https://optics-info.com/dentler-basi...ount-iwa-2019/
Why do you say they won't work on a hunting rifle? If I were to setup this system it would be with a good quality pic rail and likely scalarworks or LaRue mounts over a Leipold or Zeiss style mount. It would be a lot more "tactical" looking than most hunting setups but it would be reliable.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Why do you say they won't work on a hunting rifle? If I were to setup this system it would be with a good quality pic rail and likely scalarworks or LaRue mounts over a Leipold or Zeiss style mount. It would be a lot more "tactical" looking than most hunting setups but it would be reliable.
Your system relies on knowing how many clicks of elevation and wind age is needed to go from one gun to another. I have tried that method a couple of times and was not satisfied with the repeatabilty. Certainly not sure enough to do it that way without test firing. If u are then have at it.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:25 PM

I watched a father, son tag team a NF scope at a rimfire PRS match. When the father shot his round the scope came off and went on his sons rifle. He made a few twist of the dial and went right to shooting. I asked the Dad about it and he said they could only afford one high end scope. He told me they had the changes written down and never had trouble doing it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-03-2020, 07:10 PM

I have a NightForce scope that used to make the rounds between 3 or 4 rifles depending on the season (deer season vs off-season target shooting). I put Badger rings on the scope and a quality picatiny rail on each rifle. I was careful with each scope mounting (used a single torque wrench at a set inch/lbs of torque on the cross bolt, and with the rings compatible with the rail I never had to touch a scope ring screw). It was always shockingy repeatable, but I did always tested POI with a live round before I started the hunting season (POI was always consistent but felt I need to check, just in case). Over the years I have saved up and mounted decent scopes on more of my rifles, but it took ony 10-15 minutes to swap a scope and looking throuh my NF was a lot more fun that straining my eyes with my other budget scopes and I felt like I was getting a much better return on my investment in a high quality scope. It is absolutely workable and not a big hassle in my experience.

Last edited by cbc_anderson; 12-03-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:41 PM

To be fair, I think part of my bias has to do with the fact I could have a quality scope on each gun and didn't have to futz around with moving them. I also tended to use the right scope on the right gun. You don't need ultimate dawn and dusk light gathering on a gopher gun since the best gopher shooting is is broad daylight. Same was true of many other shooting situations. If I had really needed to swap scopes I think u could probably figure out how to do the Picatinny or other QD swap deal like others seen to have done.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:51 PM

The amount of ammunition you would burn trough and hassle you would go through each time you changed the scope over would probably pay for a new scope...
Old 12-03-2020, 08:17 PM

With a good scope with repeatable tracking and a good quality detachable rings and rifles with the same receiver one should be able to check zero with a minimal amount of test firing to confirm zero.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:03 PM
Banned

I’m on a similar approach

1 custom action
2 high end stocks
3 different carbon fiber barrels ( maybe 4)
1 trigger
1 high end scope

Will do 90%+ of everything I will ever need
Can switch barrels in 5 min
Old 12-04-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Critter View Post
The amount of ammunition you would burn trough and hassle you would go through each time you changed the scope over would probably pay for a new scope...
Not at all, zeroing is a none issue at the range for a good set up, and on my hunting rifle I can put the scope back on after a morning in deep bush and kill a deer at 200 meters no problem, in fact I have done it three times now.
Cat
Old 12-06-2020, 01:38 PM

I’m glad it seems to be working for you! I’ll share my experience. I have a Vortex Crossfire 2 scout scope (only the highest quality will do, haha) that I use on my savage 10 fcm scout. The savage came with a factory scout scope mount, the grooves cut in it are not picatinny spec). I bought Leupold QD rings. If I dismount then remount the scope, my point of impact moves. This is with making zero adjustments to the scope itself. I have tried making sure I tighten the rings in the same manner each time, doesn’t seem to matter. Leupold claims on the packaging for the rings that they guarantee point of impact will be within 1/4” at 100 yards. I would say it is more like within 2-3”. Ive never tested this with regular rings so I can’t compare to say if the QD rings are any better or worse, but this has been my experience with dismounting / mounting the same scope on the same rifle.