Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-01-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Having used and shot all the 7’s over the years, my choice would be a 280 Remington , but I don’t like big kickers or belted Magnums that much and I put the 7 mag is in there fir me .
Cat

I have had several 7 mags over the past 40 years, mostly Remingtons.
The fastest was the 7mm STW, another favorite is the 280 Remington with 160 grain bullets.
The only 7 mm I now have is perhaps my absolute favorite, my Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 7x57 Mauser.
With this lil cartridge, 140 Nosler Partitions at 2830 fps really knock things down at good distances.
Without a doubt, the 7mm Remington mag with 175 grain bullets really flattens big critters.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:06 AM

Once you shoot a certain cartridge and you do well with it sticks to you ,mine happen to be a 7mm rem mag, owned maybe 40 or more trying out different models etc .

After almost 5 decades you think you need something else to hunt with, but I always go back to my 7mm,specially with all the new bullet choices you can't go wrong.

Sight it in at the bench then stay away from the bench and practice as many types of shooting positions as possible you may encounter while out in the field and don't worry about 1/2 inch groups because when it all happens your poi is your aiming point in multiple ways and very few shots are the same.

Magnum is just a word added to a cartridge so don't let this throw you off,the way the rifle is built is much more important and how it fits you and comes up right there ,like right now.
Many of the killing posts this year were done with a 7mm and after this many years it's here to stay.

If your a new hunter controlling your heart rate and breathing trumps it all no matter what your shooting in the field. So don't let the 7mm get you all excited because it's just another cartridge and one of many.

The truest statement ever made on AO was by CAT and he said it's the nut behind the bolt is what counts and that will never change all the way from a 22lr to a 50 cal .

JD
Old 12-04-2019, 09:22 AM

I've shot a 7mm Rem Mag for 25 years, it's done everything and more I've ever asked of it. Only time I wanted something different was the time I still hunted up on a Grizzly on a kill and nearly got charged.......lol. Used to run two different loads for antelope/deer and elk/moose but the last few years I've been running 160 Accubonds for everything and haven't looked back......