Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 08:20 PM

Default Warning bark

Coyote hunting on the ice,walking the edge of a small lake,With a thick band of bull rushes.I spotted a coyote comeing towards me.He didnt see me.I set up with shooting sticks,and waiting for a easy shot.At about 100m he went in the rushes.I waited about one half hour--nothing.I decided to try to call him out.15-20 min passed,and I heard what sounded like a dog barking on the lake behind me.It was a coyote giveing a warning bark--short sharp barkes the same as your pet dog would make,if a stranger at your door.In 18 years I have only heard it 2 or three times--Very distinctive.My day in this area was over--The barker was out of range.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:25 PM

So, Somewhere, off in the distance, a dog barked?
Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 PM

You must be bored trolling thread after thread just provoking members. I will bet you get a trip to the penalty box real soon if you don't keep your stick on the ice kid.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:52 PM

Would hurt for some guys to loosen up.

Jmho
Old 12-05-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
You must be bored trolling thread after thread just provoking members. I will bet you get a trip to the penalty box real soon if you don't keep your stick on the ice kid.
Careful... Rules... Mods are watching closely....
Old 12-05-2019, 10:28 PM

coyotes will give warning barks often when called to the edge of their territory. Nothing new here
Old 12-05-2019, 10:40 PM
Banned

depends on the coyote.....and the situation. sometimes they bark and sometimes not; who knows why? if they bust you and bark, you may as well pack up and go.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 PM

Many coyotes hunt in pairs specially on the side of a lake or large ponds.

One spooks the prey and the other watches for things being flushed out in the open. So while you were watching the one you seen the other seen you or smelled or smelt you and busted you.

I hunt most of my wolves on the side of lakes and I have heard this even from wolves letting the pack know if there in any danger, doesn't happen often but I have heard this bark.

In more remote areas I never heard it, but where wolves are on hi alert from humans they warn each other.When they flush deer onto the ice you hear the odd huff or soft bark letting the pack know to make a move.

I have heard large bull moose bark so dam loud you can hear it for miles when they bust you, more of a deep grunt, but sounds like a bark when he's right there near you.

So if you see one coming your way just step back into the tree line or lay low out of site till he's right there.

Every animal communicates in there own way to stay alive from predators or for food to stay alive.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 12-05-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:34 AM

Default Warning bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
So, Somewhere, off in the distance, a dog barked?
No it was a yote all right,Sat on the ice at about 450m barking his head off at me--
Old 12-06-2019, 09:42 AM

Default Warning bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
A thread on hunting--And the unusual behaviour of the prey--No harm done here--Other hunters had similar occurance.I found very interesting-----
Old 12-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Default warning bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
coyotes will give warning barks often when called to the edge of their territory. Nothing new here
I hunt yotes a lot-for many years.Not often, have I had one sat on the ice barking his head off at me--Probably a this years pup,He was very lucky I couldnt get turned and set--my longest shot 420m,at sibbauld flats some years ago.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:46 AM

You can’t have called too many coyotes if you’ve never heard a warning bark or an alert yelp.

If you get them coming in on your down wind side, or if you get spotted, coyotes will hang up and sound like my neighbours hyper vigilant Pomeranian.

As soon as that happens you’re pretty much boned, so find a new stand to call, or get good at long pokes.........

There are no absolutes
Old 12-06-2019, 02:40 PM

Default Warning bark

I’ve had them do that to me several times when they figure something is up. Like when they spot a truck when they are coming in. They will sit at a distance and bark over and over. When that happens, they are not liking going to come any closer.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You can’t have called too many coyotes if you’ve never heard a warning bark or an alert yelp.

If you get them coming in on your down wind side, or if you get spotted, coyotes will hang up and sound like my neighbours hyper vigilant Pomeranian.

As soon as that happens you’re pretty much boned, so find a new stand to call, or get good at long pokes.........
I heard it but not often,The one I mentioned in the thread,went way overboard--Sitting on the ice barking his head off.He was a fair distance--so it took me awhile to realize what was happening.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
I heard it but not often,The one I mentioned in the thread,went way overboard--Sitting on the ice barking his head off.He was a fair distance--so it took me awhile to realize what was happening.
As pointed out by Dick you must be fresh to coyote calling.Had this happen twice this past week.Shot ones buddy and he got away to warn others. The other overran me with no shot but learned his lesson and lived to tell others.Too bad I was alone without a buddy along to sneak up while I talked to him.There is a very slim chance that the odd yapper can be had but not often.Hate to be critical but the man is very inexperienced at calling coyotes.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I hunt yotes a lot-for many years.Not often, have I had one sat on the ice barking his head off at me--Probably a this years pup,He was very lucky I couldnt get turned and set--my longest shot 420m,at sibbauld flats some years ago.
Ok. So your a hunting blogger who claims to have all this experience in most of your posts, yet you constantly come out with the oddest statements that either make you a liar or a nube with little actual experience. This occurrence happens at least 20-30 times/ Calling season for me and others. In fact the last yote I shot ( this year female pup) was doing exactly this. I set up a decoy within 500 yds of a known den site. Hoping to.lure the breeding pair out. Two pups sat just off the bush line and barked at my decoy for 20 min or so non stop. I tagged the female. This is not unusual behaviour for a coyote so either you don't hunt coyotes much which would explain you thinking this is a unusual event or your just full of bs.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Ok. So your a hunting blogger who claims to have all this experience in most of your posts, yet you constantly come out with the oddest statements that either make you a liar or a nube with little actual experience. This occurrence happens at least 20-30 times/ Calling season for me and others. In fact the last yote I shot ( this year female pup) was doing exactly this. I set up a decoy within 500 yds of a known den site. Hoping to.lure the breeding pair out. Two pups sat just off the bush line and barked at my decoy for 20 min or so non stop. I tagged the female. This is not unusual behaviour for a coyote so either you don't hunt coyotes much which would explain you thinking this is a unusual event or your just full of bs.
Like ..

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2019, 08:49 AM

I had an incident to learn from years back. In MT I had the ranchers son with that day who was deaf. He indicated we should set up on a side slope with cut coulee a hundred yards below or so. Good country but wrong set up but I complied. No wind involved that day. The coyote came in directly below and I saw him as he stared directly up at us. He turned out of site and stayed barking like crazy. End of stand.
I thought long and when that has happened I was always visually spotted for some reason. Times I've been scented it has been more the standard warning bark or hey something not right bark if you will.
They say it's the bullet you don't hear that gets you, I've always figured it's the coyote you don't see that busts you. If you have the setup and wind figured correctly you should have at least a shot on an incoming dog at whatever range.

Osky
Old 12-07-2019, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is not unusual behaviour for a coyote so either you don't hunt coyotes much which would explain you thinking this is a unusual event or your just full of bs.
Eventually people will catch on to what is going on...
Old 12-07-2019, 10:40 AM

Jeez... So I'm not the only one who thinks this guys threads are the ramblings of an old Newfie hunter that likes to hear himself talk ?

And if 450m is too far, you either need glasses or a better scope...

Old 12-07-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Jeez... So I'm not the only one who thinks this guys threads are the ramblings of an old Newfie hunter that likes to hear himself talk ?

And if 450m is too far, you either need glasses or a better scope...

I think most have noticed and it’s just reached that point people have decided to start calling BS
Old 12-07-2019, 11:44 AM

From guns to ammo to hunting the vast majority of his post show inexperience or total b's. Inexperience is not a bad thing at all, everyone is inexperienced at some point, but don't pretend like you know it all when clearly you don't.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
From guns to ammo to hunting the vast majority of his post show inexperience or total b's. Inexperience is not a bad thing at all, everyone is inexperienced at some point, but don't pretend like you know it all when clearly you don't.
Amen.

Those who truly don’t know, usually ask.
Those that have nary a clue but try to expound an ora of experience, and try to come across like a big shot, are so bloody dangerous. Dangerous to themselves and others because, they often lure in a few devout followers, and 9/10 times its the followers who get into trouble.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-07-2019, 12:07 PM

Default Warning Bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I think most have noticed and it’s just reached that point people have decided to start calling BS
450m at a running coyote---Not so good for a humane kill---If you want body count you can call the Hutterite who skins the coyotes--His name is kurt I have his phone--Or maybe the three deer in my deep freeze you want pictures-no problem.What is it you want sir??????
Old 12-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Default Warning Bark

Quote:
For sure I dont know it all--But I do hunt and fish 12 months a year-Dont have the burden of work.Own two houses in NE calgary that a use as a base.Three deer in the deep freeze--Now coyotes until the Hutterite skinnertells me the fur is not good.This is what I do and have always done.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
450m at a running coyote---Not so good for a humane kill---If you want body count you can call the Hutterite who skins the coyotes--His name is kurt I have his phone--Or maybe the three deer in my deep freeze you want pictures-no problem.What is it you want sir??????
You said he sat on the ice and barked his head off.....more BS?? Any way you slice it you come across as inexperienced by your comments. Almost every thread you have ever created shows lack of experience. It's very hard to take you seriously
Old 12-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Default warning Bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Amen.

Those who truly don’t know, usually ask.
Those that have nary a clue but try to expound an ora of experience, and try to come across like a big shot, are so bloody dangerous. Dangerous to themselves and others because, they often lure in a few devout followers, and 9/10 times its the followers who get into trouble.
I hunt and fish 12 months a year without the burden of work.Not dangerous at all----You have broke three of the forum rules?????
Old 12-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
For sure I dont know it all--But I do hunt and fish 12 months a year-Dont have the burden of work.Own two houses in NE calgary that a use as a base.Three deer in the deep freeze--Now coyotes until the Hutterite skinnertells me the fur is not good.This is what I do and have always done.

Hard to take you seriously. Your comments do not support the level of experience you think you have. For any of us that do have modest experience your great revelations of things guns and game are things that nubes would marvel over. Again being a nube is not a bad thing but don't pretend to be something of an expert when clearly you don't. It's dangerous
Old 12-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Default Warning Bark

Quote:
You said he sat on the ice and barked his head off.....more BS?? Any way you slice it you come across as inexperienced by your comments. Almost every thread you have ever created shows lack of experience. It's very hard to take you seriously
You continueto break the forum rules---maybe best for all if you dont open my threads.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hunt and fish 12 months a year without the burden of work.Not dangerous at all----You have broke three of the forum rules?????
Oh, you and your forum rules... Folks call you and on your bs and inexperience and you cry foul, give it a rest.