Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Default Level wind trolling reels

New to posting but have enjoyed reviewing the discussions on AO for a long time.
I am interested in maybe purchasing a level wind trolling rig for pike, walleye and lakers. Should I pursue this type of reel and if so what would be a good choice for make and size for these 3 species? Budget = $100.
Thanks for your comments and help.

GA
Old 12-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Default rod reel combo

this is in your price point #2 or #3 depending on the size of fish available to you .
not sure how to paste a link . See if this works.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/65474...trolling-combo
Old 12-06-2019, 01:24 PM

I bought a Kastking Rover 40 last year and am very happy with it.I got mine from Ebay shipped to my door $52. They are lots good review videos on you tube
Old 12-06-2019, 01:50 PM

A solidly built reel with a good drag system and accurate/reliable line counter is one of the most important pieces of fishing tackle a person can own. It makes life a whole lot easier and it will put more fish in your boat.

I know it's beyond your budget, but I'm gonna throw it out there anyways -

Shimano Tekota 500LC or 600LC.

The best line counter reel for freshwater applications that you can buy in my opinion. Buy once, cry once.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:01 PM

Buy the best quality you can afford and they will last you for years. I have used mine seemingly forever and all I do is a bit of clean & lube every year and they do all our trolling as well as on the ice for pike. The only thing they don't have is line counters and if they had it available on them I would have got it as well and if replacing I would that today.
The ones Walleyedude suggests are really nice units as well.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:47 PM

I've been using Garcia Ambassadeur level winds for over 40 years. Still have the one I bought when I was 14 and still works great. A 6000 or 7000 series works well for lake trout.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:06 PM

Also have to Ambassador levelwind reels ones about 25 years old and still works great

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2019, 04:31 PM

I am a penn guy they are well built and last.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I've been using Garcia Ambassadeur level winds for over 40 years. Still have the one I bought when I was 14 and still works great. A 6000 or 7000 series works well for lake trout.
The old ones are good but the newer ones I am not impressed. When I lived in BC I would have to rebuild my ambassador after every salmon season. But lakers are not going to give a reel near the abuse a season on springs and cum in the rivers. I have not owned one for about 7years so they may have improved

If you go with an Ambassador get the larger after market handle it makes nicer if you are cranking in long lines
Old 12-06-2019, 06:42 PM

Get one with a line counter. I fish for walleye n pike and run an Okuma Magda Pro 20 DLX. This reel also has a line counter which is nice for repeatability and it's great for trolling. I think it was around $120, or so and no probelms with it. Never caught a laker on it but you could always step up to the next sized reel if it's not large enough.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Also have to Ambassador levelwind reels ones about 25 years old and still works great

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
X3 . . See if you can get an ultra cast in the 6000 or 6001-lefty ... a few friends and I have pulled a lot of river salmon in with these
Old 12-06-2019, 09:58 PM

ABU for LIFE
Old 12-06-2019, 11:16 PM

For a budget reel it’s hard to look past the shimano TR-200G. Very robust, strong clickers, good drags, excellent availability of parts, carbontex drag washers, upgraded bearings etc.
Alan Tani has an excellent rebuild article online with as many details and pictures as anyone could need to service one of these reels. Mine saw a lot of use on lakers and never had so much as a hiccup.

Now if you want something a lot better and can stretch the budget a little get your mitts on a Avet. American built, machined aluminum available in a plethora of colours, gear ratios, speeds and drag options. They’re a very stout reel, fully capable of saltwater and far more abuse then any freshwater fish can dish out.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:44 PM

Default Level wind trolling reels

So I had a chance to get some reels in hand this weekend and made my choice. Probably would have went with the abu ambassador but no line counter so ended up buying the walleyedude recommended Tekota 500. Now I have to find a rod to go with. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:20 PM

Tekotas are excellent reels. A few years ago I picked up a couple Tekota 300 LCs from Canadian Tire on a blowout for $80 a piece. They are a bit small, but awesome built reels and the price was too good to pass up.

I also have a couple Magda 20 DLX line counters as well. They have been reliable but not the same feel as the Tekotas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-10-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbuckle View Post
So I had a chance to get some reels in hand this weekend and made my choice. Probably would have went with the abu ambassador but no line counter so ended up buying the walleyedude recommended Tekota 500. Now I have to find a rod to go with. Thanks for the recommendations.
You're going to love it.

With a little bit of maintenance now and then, it'll last you a lifetime.

If you want to put together the ultimate combo, here's the rod to go with it -

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13244...e-trolling-rod

A little on the expensive side for a trolling rod, but again, well worth it in my opinion. They were discontinued for a couple years and Shimano brought them back due to the outcry from walleye anglers. Pretty much every tournament walleye guy I know has 3 or 4 of these in the boat or stashed in the rafters, myself included. They're 8'3", but they collapse down to 7' to fit into any rod locker. They're super versatile, you can pull little SR5s, or you can pull giant TD11's with snap weights, they'll handle pretty much anything. Super soft tip so you can see your crank working, the fish load up really nice, and they're forgiving near the boat, but they've got plenty of backbone to handle any big pike or lakers.

Check out The Fishin Hole this weekend or during their Boxing Day sale to save some extra cash.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:59 AM

Abu Garcia C4 Ambassadeur Round Reel

A bit more than your price range, however worth the investment. Small enough to run double duty on an ice rod, yet big enough to troll heavy gear for Lake Trout. On sale now too
Old 12-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Nice you 2....brand wars. LOL.