Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 09:17 AM

Default bullet in deer from last year

Ever cut up a deer and find an encapsulated bullet or jacket fragments from a previous season? The upper scapula had no meat in it just white scar tissue and several copper jacket pieces encapsulated in white/yellow material.Bone not broken but either the bullet was slowed by a tree or failed completely to penetrate into the vitals.Perhaps a varmint rifle? Deer was no worse for wear and the outside hide was flawless.We found my 150gr TTSX intact missing the typical 2gr plastic nose.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Banned

Have found both bullets and broad heads in elk and moose, and bullets in deer. It’s amazing how they can heal.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:31 AM

I found a couple of .22's in the hind quarter of deer a few years ago. I guess it's quite popular for farmers to chase deer away from their grain with a .22

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-02-2019, 09:35 AM

The wound wasn’t a year old I found in a buck I killed but what I did find was a 22 bullet in it’s front shoulder. It was pretty gross the area was obviously trying to heal lots of puss and what a stink. The deer didn’t show signs of being wounded while I watched him.

A butcher I used to go to had several broad heads that were stuck into bones and had started to grow calcium over them. The will to live is something else in critters.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:48 AM

Had a small calibre bullet in an elk hindquarter lost the whole quarter

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 09:50 AM

Had a .22 bullet stop the meat grinder once. Came out of the left butt cheek of a whitey buck I'd shot.

Pulled a broadhead that had about 3" of shaft out of the shoulder blade of my first bull moose back in 2009. Had to cut it out with a bone saw as the bone had regrown in around it and fused it. There was no sign of abscess or injury in the immediate area so it had to have been in there for at least a year.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 12-02-2019, 09:51 AM

A friend found a 6mm round in the hind quarter of his cow elk last fall.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-02-2019, 10:16 AM

My buddy just shot a mule buck a few days ago with a broad head imbedded in his skull right between the eyes. Bone and hair had already grew around it so must have been in there for a year or more.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 AM

Friend's cow Moose had a bullet and a large open wound in the hind quarter that was full of white porridge like material.

Called F & W who came and looked at it and they felt it was still useable meat despite the old open wound with the very concerning contents. Apparently alot worse ends up on our dinner Plate from Meat Packing Plants!!!

Animal was otherwise healthy and had a calf that spring.

Drewski
Old 12-02-2019, 10:37 AM

Great stories. It shows you were not to shoot them.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 AM

My wife’s bull moose this year had a bullet hole in the antler. Spooked me when we were walking up to the moose. I hadn’t seen where she had hit and it dropped like a rock on the first shot. When I saw the bullet hole I thought she just knocked it out, wasn’t her bullet though.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:25 AM

Default Sounds more like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I found a couple of .22's in the hind quarter of deer a few years ago. I guess it's quite popular for farmers to chase deer away from their grain with a .22
A Hail Mary from poachers likely with the high beams.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:38 AM

Default More Stories

When I was a kid my Dad's hunting group got a big cow moose and while taking the hide off ,the knife made a metal on metal sound. Upon closer examination a .303 FMJ was encapsulated and healed in the hock.Another buddy was playing hide and seek with a nice 6pt bull elk for over a month.The bull had an obvious limp but not pausing long enough to give him additional loving.I think it was last day when he made a mistake and my buddy got him. Skinned elk taken to the local butcher for processing . He gets a call a week later that the butcher had found a 12ga slug in the shoulder knuckle. A local taxidermist had a WT buck come in with 30ft of dog chain wrapped in his antlers [no sign of the dog] and another WT buck with an embedded arrow [healed]entry from the back of the skull and protruding 10" between the eyes /antlers.Below the brain pan and through the palate.Broadhead blades intact like a bayonet.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:41 AM

Was opening week, duck season this year, driving back to town saw something hit the road few hundred miles yards ahead infront of the tracks.

Someone had smoked a honker with a bow, and the thing had flown from somewhere (likely the nearby reserve) and dropped on the highway with an arrow clean through both sides. Still managed to fly miles that way. Landed on the highway with the arrow sticking straight up.. in season but who would use a field point to begin with.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:43 AM

Nearly broke a tooth on a #7 or 8 lead shotgun pellet that was in some burger from a mulie I got last year. That was a first! Lol
Old 12-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Default I have also

Removed broken off barbed wire healed in the brisket of moose acquired when they were going through fences.Very hard on a knife edge!
Old 12-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Arrowed a bear once that had a broad head and about 4” of shaft just under the spine. It was all healed over.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:40 PM

Skinned a yearling moose once and found lots of bits of broken windshield
under the skin on the shoulder.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:46 PM

Found a .22 bullet once in a white tail doe around Rocky Mountain House.
Crap shooters I would say .

S12
Old 12-04-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
A Hail Mary from poachers likely with the high beams.
I have heard many many stories of farmers using .22’s to scare deer,elk and moose off there property.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:58 AM

All from deer harvested in Camp Wainwright I have --- a black powder maxi ball healed in the spine on a nice MD Buck, a round ball healed in a should black on a MD doe and what looks like a 25 cal healed in a back leg of a WT Buck.

Outside the base harvests had 2 broadheads and one broken antler healed in shoulder areas -- one deer and one moose. The moose metal was discovered when the band saw hit it. The broken antler had nothing on the outside of the animal to show injury but once skinning started the green slime and smell was there. Only the back half of the deer was saved (testing by OS Longman).
Old 12-05-2019, 08:43 AM

Found 3 22 bullets, bird shot and a broadhead with 6"s of arrow all healed over in a Whitetail Buck I shot in Saskatchewan. Deer was harvest in the Bronsen Forest reserve quite a ways from anywhere that would have seen any significant hunting pressure.