Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 07:20 AM

Default Hunter Training Certificate ??

So as not to de-rail the other thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
In short... people better complete their training. If you took it many years ago and didn’t have a number associated with your course certificate you can contact AHEIA to have one issued. I had to do this. LC
I had taken this course in high school in the 60's and then again with my kids in the 80's. I cannot find my certificate so I contact AHEIA --- very nice fellow returned my message and basically said they have quit looking for the older records. Suggested that I retake the course as it was not much money.

I wanted the card for a BC Turkey hunt and now as I understand BC they have changed their approval process and you have to take their course. Perhaps someone could confirm as if I take one course then it should be the BC one. --- or --- if the BC information is incorrect take the Alberta one and get it over.

If what I was told by the office I called in BC this is nothing more than a Government money grab.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2019, 07:41 AM

I can’t seem to find the definition now of when it said the education course was mandatory? Can someone provide the link please.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:45 AM

I thought you simply had to have held a licence previously. Does it not say so in the realm sign in. Something along the lines of I declare I am not a felon and held a licence before or took the course.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:55 AM

I tried to locate mine this year but they could not find it either.I didn’t take the course as I challenged it way back when at the fish and game office on 32 Nd in Calgary.Alberta hunter Ed said take the course again.Does any one know if fish and game would be able to dig up a copy as I swear that’s where I challenged it?
Old 12-04-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I thought you simply had to have held a licence previously. Does it not say so in the realm sign in. Something along the lines of I declare I am not a felon and held a licence before or took the course.
It used to do that. I’m not sure of when the exact date was but it was around 7 years ago. Now the website needs your hunters Ed number.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:59 AM

Money grab anyone? Not much money?

My respect for AHEIA just fell considerably this morning.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-04-2019, 08:01 AM

So I'm planning a b c elk hunt next year and what you're saying is I need a BC Hunter Ed Course.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
So I'm planning a b c elk hunt next year and what you're saying is I need a BC Hunter Ed Course.

If you’re hosted by a B.C. resident you just need there version of a hunters Ed course. They don’t accept Alberta's version, if you go on your own, as a non resident and not being hosted there is an extra course you have to take. I can’t remember what it’s called.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
It used to do that. I’m not sure of when the exact date was but it was around 7 years ago. Now the website needs your hunters Ed number.
I just logged into Albertarelm and had no issues and no request for hunter ed number or any such thing. I have never taken the course and was grandfathered in when the Hunter Ed program was introduced.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:59 AM

2 Tollers, I want through this exact same scenario for the exact same reason.
I also have hunted BC hosted through the years. It didn't matter, in the end i had to redo the course as well.
It was a Happy ending, i got my Turkey in BC.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:00 AM

I too was grandfathered in but I had also taken the course way back when. I could not find my certificate but I did find my old wallet card. I sent them a copy of that and they issued me a current numbered certificate. Very fast and no charge. If I could not find the card I would have had to write the test. Only reason I cared was I needed proof of hunter Ed to get a license in Hawaii, holding a license somewhere else, which works with most states, does not work there. It only takes about an hour to take the course and write the exam. I still haven't put the number into RELM and have no problems buying my license every year.

Now to AHEIA. They were friendly and as helpful as you could ever ask for. If you can't find your 40 year old paper work, why the hell would you expect they should be able to, particularly when these courses were offered all over the place and no real central record base was kept. Even if it was centralised, it is 40 years ago!
Old 12-04-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
So as not to de-rail the other thread

I had taken this course in high school in the 60's and then again with my kids in the 80's. I cannot find my certificate so I contact AHEIA --- very nice fellow returned my message and basically said they have quit looking for the older records. Suggested that I retake the course as it was not much money.

I wanted the card for a BC Turkey hunt and now as I understand BC they have changed their approval process and you have to take their course. Perhaps someone could confirm as if I take one course then it should be the BC one. --- or --- if the BC information is incorrect take the Alberta one and get it over.

If what I was told by the office I called in BC this is nothing more than a Government money grab.

Thanks
I have a BC Wildlife ID for purchasing hunting licenses online. I had to provide a hunters training certificate. The AB certificate was good to go for them.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Just talked to three different people in British Columbia you do not need a hunter education number if you're being accompanied to hunt in British Columbia you just have to do there win number thing I forget what it's called though just have to show a Alberta driver's license

Old 12-04-2019, 10:15 AM

Default 40 years

Now to AHEIA. They were friendly and as helpful as you could ever ask for. If you can't find your 40 year old paper work, why the hell would you expect they should be able to, particularly when these courses were offered all over the place and no real central record base was kept. Even if it was centralised, it is 40 years ago![/QUOTE]

Because thats the responsibility an organization accepts when they make a deal.
Same as AHEIA being the only organization in Alberta for Firearms course completion registration and keeping copies of PAL testing results. They are required to do so. They should have digitally entered all known documents, like all other organizations did when computers arrived.
If AHEIA has no record, how can a prosecution ever hold up in court, based on a paper cards existence or not?
But I still have my card, and actually my book, one of the greates books produced and on the shelves and bookcases of many hunters still today.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
I just logged into Albertarelm and had no issues and no request for hunter ed number or any such thing. I have never taken the course and was grandfathered in when the Hunter Ed program was introduced.
I know, I was hunting before you needed the course too and I don’t have a number in my space either. Just now you need it to purchase things online if you’re a newer/ younger hunter
Old 12-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Because thats the responsibility an organization accepts when they make a deal.
Same as AHEIA being the only organization in Alberta for Firearms course completion registration and keeping copies of PAL testing results. They are required to do so. They should have digitally entered all known documents, like all other organizations did when computers arrived.
If AHEIA has no record, how can a prosecution ever hold up in court, based on a paper cards existence or not?
But I still have my card, and actually my book, one of the greates books produced and on the shelves and bookcases of many hunters still today.
First off, in a lot of cases there were no paper records to convert. The records they got from the old program were at best "Spotty". Second, almost all companies that converted paper records only digitized ten years at most, many did 5 years and less. That is why most licenses of one sort or another have to be renewed on a regular basis. To retain records of something that is effectively good for life, and has no requirement to notify on death, is highly impractical.

Finally, as long as you have a copy of your Certificate, wallet card or other proof you took the course, like a high school transcript, they will issue you a new Certificate at no charge. If you can't find any proof at all it takes between one and two hours to retake and pass, which if you can't do easily after many years of hunting means you needed to take the course anyhow. I think that is a pretty reasonable accommodation.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:02 AM

IF you can meet the other requirements, you don’t need it. If you are from Alberta and never took it and are not grandfathered in... you better take it. Too many people checked the box on their WIN application without reading it, you are making a declaration you are eligible if that’s false you can get in hot water.

I took my course in Dec of 1987, and I had my card and certificate to pass along to AHEIA so they issued me a number for the system.

LC
Old 12-04-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
There is a declaration page, where you double check your info near the bottom it states the options that deem your eligibility.

LC
Old 12-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
There is a declaration page, where you double check your info near the bottom it states the options that deem your eligibility.

LC
Yup....that's what I checked when I logged in......all was good
Old 12-04-2019, 11:17 AM

Just called Manitoba Wildlife Federation found out I had mine from 1975 they still had a record of it 30 bucks

Old 12-04-2019, 01:01 PM

I never took the course, and I don't plan on ever taking it, as after 47 years of hunting, I see no value unless the regulations change, and it becomes mandatory. The questions asked online about the regulations, by people that have passed the course , lead me to question the value of the course. I feel the same way about the PAL course, many people that pass it, still seem to not understand much about the regulations.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I never took the course, and I don't plan on ever taking it, as after 47 years of hunting, I see no value unless the regulations change, and it becomes mandatory. The questions asked online about the regulations, by people that have passed the course , lead me to question the value of the course. I feel the same way about the PAL course, many people that pass it, still seem to not understand much about the regulations.
That’s the rub, the Hunters Ed teaches to the hunters part in conservation, ethics, game management theories, game identification, field craft, hunter safety, and firearms safety and basics. There is virtually no reference to the hunting regulations or wildlife act, except to mention it’s recommended to become familiar with them.
The course hasn’t changed in 50 years, and if it taught the regulations it could possibly be re vamped every year, which would then mean, re training all the instructors every year. Oh ya what about the guy who took the course um teen years ago, when the regulations change?
Maybe all you guys spouting about what the course doesn’t contain, should actually take it!

As for the CFSC there’s such a light dusting on the legal side of it(documents, transport, storage, classifications) its more focused on safe handling storage and transport, which by the way is explained at the beginning, they actually tell students to go seek the act and regulations, and stay current of any changes that come forth.

If all the supposed wants were included it’s be a 5 week course.

By the way Elk, how many electricians did you meet that could remember that motors and transformers don’t follow the amperage ratings and circuit protection rules from the general sections of the code book. Same thing, not everybody retains stuff like you or even I do.

The Hunters Ed is a joke anyways, it’s colourful curtains on a rotten window frame. It looks good from a distance, but really doesn’t do much for those in the know.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-04-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
2 Tollers, I want through this exact same scenario for the exact same reason. I also have hunted BC hosted through the years. It didn't matter, in the end i had to redo the course as well.
It was a Happy ending, i got my Turkey in BC.
Springer -- Congrats on the Turkey --- In your message are you saying BC accepted the Alberta course for hunting Turkeys -- if so was this recently? See message below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
If you’re hosted by a B.C. resident you just need there version of a hunters Ed course. They don’t accept Alberta's version, if you go on your own, as a non resident and not being hosted there is an extra course you have to take. I can’t remember what it’s called.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Money grab anyone? Not much money?

My respect for AHEIA just fell considerably this morning.
No doubt.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Springer -- Congrats on the Turkey --- In your message are you saying BC accepted the Alberta course for hunting Turkeys -- if so was this recently? See message below.
I helped Springer setup his BC account.

Fill out the info on this page.

https://www.bceid.ca/register/basic/...x?type=regular

Then once thats done, take a pic of your drivers licence and hunters training. Upload the pics and they approve you to buy your game bird license within a couple days.

As for the hunters training thing. Your Alberta card is fine, you don't need to take a BC specific course. My card is old enough that it doesn't even have a number on it and they accepted it.

Very easy and not complicated
Old 12-04-2019, 03:27 PM

NayNay - thanks.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Just called Manitoba Wildlife Federation found out I had mine from 1975 they still had a record of it 30 bucks

OUCH! I took mine in WA State, replacement certificates cost 8$ and are printed on a plastic card that is the same size/shape as a credit card. My original one came on a printer paper post card which I almost shredded with a college diploma one day.(darn those filing cabinet purges....)

Funny I took my hunters ed in a State where it was mandatory for anyone born after January 1, 1972. Now I live in a State where you only need it if born after January 1, 1985. Glad I have it as if I go to other States hunting you are required to carry proof of completing a course with you. The course in WA was free so other than 4 evenings of my time didn't cost me a dime.

Took my bow hunters ed in Montana and didn't cost me a dime either.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
First off, in a lot of cases there were no paper records to convert. The records they got from the old program were at best "Spotty". .
That's 100% right. I was an instructor for Alberta Hunters Ed for years and we signed up classes, taught, tested and issued diplomas to students all the time.

There were also drop in and open classes a few evening per week. We had a master sheet with class participants we signed off on that went into a file cabinet. We did not, nor were we required to check ID for anyone with the exception of mandatory students (those charged and compelled by the courts to take and pass the exam prior to the reinstatement of their hunting privileges).

Those sheets probably never made it out of the file cabinet to see the light of day before being shredded one day 20 years later I bet.

I have some pretty funny stories about some of the "mandatory students" - one old European guy shot a ram in the park - and we are talking Minnewanka loop - not on the "edge of the park" or something more reasonable. The ram was also short. Believe it or not he was charged only for the "short" part - apparently no charges related to the park itself. Crazy.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:02 PM

EZM

I was teaching the course back in 69 and for years after. The courses were offered at the Fish and Game offices, gun stores, schools class rooms and any place people could meet. We signed off the certificates and wallet cards out of bulk supplies we got with the course materials and handed them out at the end of the course. Like u said, the class lists of participants never went anywhere nor was there any records of who passed and what certificates were issued. It wasn't any kind of a mandatory course just something people took because they were interested in learning. .
Old 12-05-2019, 07:51 AM

EZM / Dean what you have written brings back memories of sign in sheets and cards being filled out after the test. Having the logs disappear over time in the transition I can see occurring.

The Alberta RELM site should have a line that states if you have taken the course prior to xx date (what ever date they have for complete records) -- yes or N/A.

I know that the US states have accepted my WIN card as proof of training. I can see governments or agencies needing money tightening this up over time and requiring a certificate number or even every 10 years re-taking the course as it is an easy way to grab a few dollars.