Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=Dubious;4067332Its funny to see all the guys out there carrying big Bowie type knifes I’ve never found the need to have more than a 4” blade max to field dress animals.[/QUOTE]
I wear this Marttiini Sammi style knife as a general purpose knife not as a skinner, but it certainly does suffice, I use a Puma folder for field dressing.
I may try a Havalon , dunno yet, several friends use them and one uses an Outdoor edge.
Cat
Old 12-03-2019, 10:31 AM

^^ Sharpest dressed guy in the woods, right there. ^^
Old 12-03-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I wear this Marttiini Sammi style knife as a general purpose knife not as a skinner, but it certainly does suffice, I use a Puma folder for field dressing.
I may try a Havalon , dunno yet, several friends use them and one uses an Outdoor edge.
Cat
Yes he is the fancy dresser

I have a Havalon Piranta and although I always carry it with me, I gravitate to the Outdoor Edge Swing-blaze. Gutted a moose yesterday, severed the head, severed the legs at the knees and skinned it without sensing that I had to sharpen it. Maybe I have no sense
Old 12-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Banned

I had the piranta, gave it away to someone on this forum, I can’t remember who. I have an outdoor edge, was given to me as a tip. It sat in my cabinet for about 4yrs until this year when I had my son bring it out because someone in camp wanted to try it out. Then I seen a camillus this year for the first time, and it really is a lot better design than both the havalone and the outdoor edge.

BUT

I personally don’t use any replaceable blade knife, I keep my knife shape. Never had a problem.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:23 PM

I tried a couple of different Havalons, one just over a week ago when teaching a friend, and I don't see myself buying one. I was given an Outdoor Edge Swing blade,and I actually like it for opening up the belly without cutting into the guts, and for opening up the legs. After trying mine, my friend bought one for himself.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:47 PM

I have both the Havalon and the Outdoor Edge. For gutting and skinning the Outdoor edge in my opinion is hands down better. The havalon is nicer for finer cuts when caping.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I tried a couple of different Havalons, one just over a week ago when teaching a friend, and I don't see myself buying one. I was given an Outdoor Edge Swing blade,and I actually like it for opening up the belly without cutting into the guts, and for opening up the legs. After trying mine, my friend bought one for himself.
Haha, that’s the one I ended up buying yesterday. It is $30 off and seemed like a good deal.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:30 PM

I carry and outdoor edge and a drop point cutco. 2 of the best in my opinion
Old 12-03-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga07 View Post
I have both the Havalon and the Outdoor Edge. For gutting and skinning the Outdoor edge in my opinion is hands down better. The havalon is nicer for finer cuts when caping.
Exactly the combo that I carry. Recently I've added a Grohmann belt knife because it was a special gift from my son, and it's Canadian made eh?
Old 12-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
Don't waste your money on Havalon.

My buddy loves them and always pulls his Havalon out when we start to skin a moose. Only takes him about 30 seconds to break the blade off and then we make fun of him for the rest of the day. Very cheap and flimsy.
he must not know how to use it I just did a 1500 lb bull moose and only used two blades but I was not in a rush
Old 12-03-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have a piranta. Great knife for fine work caping animals. Not strong enough to take any side loads, bone cutting etc but definitely better than the scalpels that we used before. Rhese are great for eyes, knuckles etc.
X2 I buy bulk 100 blade packs off amazon for usually around 60 bucks shipped. And that will last me a couple seasons of alot of skinning and fine work.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:29 PM
Banned

That Camillus knife looks interesting. Has anybody seen them in Calgary? How about the blades?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 PM

Maybe the disconnect with the replaceable blade knifes is the method of use. Since I started using them I don’t gut animals any more I just bone them out they work really well for that but you still need to run a hip knife for the big stuff like snapping the legs and head off. I do prefer the replaceable blades for quartering.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:38 AM

What are you using it for? Camp utility, survival go to, skinner?
Personal experiences with them is even with chickens find that I break the blades at the hilt putting pressure on them trying to even cut a light bone if you hit it dead on but if you are skilled enough to hit the joint properly it will perform acceptable. Would not recommend it as a skinning knife, it will cut well, and the one double blade posted is very nice but personally would just hop down to Halfords and get a Ron post skinner if you are using it for processing. Its lacks the fit and finish of the $300 plus blades in their line but for 60 bucks the steel and blade profile you get is my personal go to.
https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/ron-post-knives

Last edited by Foonus; 12-04-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Maybe the disconnect with the replaceable blade knifes is the method of use. Since I started using them I don’t gut animals any more I just bone them out they work really well for that but you still need to run a hip knife for the big stuff like snapping the legs and head off. I do prefer the replaceable blades for quartering.
I carry a Wyoming saw for cutting off legs and head, splitting pelvis and brisket, etc.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
You can remove heads and separate knee joints with the havalon as well. No issues.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-04-2019, 09:37 AM

I've been gutting /skinning deer for 35 yrs with my Old timer drop point hunter . I've played with the Havalon and it's ok but I think a proper traditional fixed or folding hunting knife is just a better more durable option. When it gets dull, you sharpen it and carry on . I doubt many Havalon, or other disposable blade knives will last as long . Buy a good knife and look after it and use it for life. lot's of good quality well priced options out there you can get a Buck 110 or a Mora for that matter in the same price range as the Havalon and you have a much better more versatile tool.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Default Bone saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I just use a Morakniv, they seem super durable and cheap. Is anyone else out there using one? I use it to dress and butcher. I have been looking a nice light option that has a bone saw and blade. Does anyone use a small bone saw in the field?
In the moose carry days we always carry a bone saw---Moose was sawed in two,then sawed down the spine,The quarters placed in quarter bags.I still carry a small break down model for deer--In case i need to cut the deer in the field for long carry over rough terrain--A very handy tool indeed.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
I have developed a healthy hatred for Havalons and won’t take one into the field. I rely on an old Buck 119 and a new Morakniv.
For some reason, I refuse to saw bones or chop through pelvis’s etc. I take meat from bones so a good knife is on my belt.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
These do work well. I have one now after using someone else’s. When I first saw it I thought it was a new gimmicky gadget.

I have a havalon as well, it sits in the cabinet as home just in case...... not ready to give up on the Grohmann for it.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:22 AM
Banned

I only use a havalon now
The one that allows you to use their 2 different sizes of blades
I carry an assortment of blades styles and there is nothing that you can't do
Old 12-08-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnoggin View Post
👌🏻
Old 12-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Banned

Mine is the hydra
Old 12-09-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
I have developed a healthy hatred for Havalons and won’t take one into the field.
It really depends on what you need in a field knife. If you are just gutting a deer in the field, any small knife including the Havalon will do fine. If one gets into breaking down larger animals with the gutless method, a larger knife might work better.

I didn't use my Havalon this year, but did use a small Bark River patch knife that worked fine. The skinning job later went to a larger knife. More often than not, many folks carry knifes that are too large for the task in the field. I do not want a 6" blade while reaching up into a small deer chest cavity to cut a windpipe. Smaller is better.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:42 AM

I had the piranha and gave it to a buddy. Out door edge lite everyday
Old 12-09-2019, 10:21 AM

Default Zebra Deer

Watched a hunting show on TV the other day. Guy pulled out a Havalon, held it like a pencil and atemded to skin the deer. The carcass looked like a Zebra. It's a shame that they such hack jobs on TV. Does for sure not promote the product.
No wonder new hunter don't know how to skin a deer when they watch that crap on TV!
Old 12-09-2019, 10:40 AM

I was recently given an Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze that I doubt I will ever use. I like my traditional style knives.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend