Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-21-2017, 09:28 PM

Mark you could always take the brake off and use a good shooting jacket or PAST recoil shield like us Palma and Fclass guys!
Cat
Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Mark you could always take the brake off and use a good shooting jacket or PAST recoil shield like us Palma and Fclass guys!
Cat
Heckuva good idea.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 PM

Default Never thought of that

What are those things never heard of them? possible links?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I don't know how this post links and photos from my phone Mark, but I can tomorrow morning when I get on the computer .
Cat
Old 04-21-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
My 308 with muzzle brake is now up for sale if anyone is interested, I will be sad to see it go but I have to make sure this never happens again. I thought about stopping shooting all together but I enjoy it to much. No more muzzle braked rifles for me though.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...44#post3522944
Is that brake permanently attached? I'm assuming you put the brake on to help keep the gun on target more so than simply recoil reduction.

Just got my 300 back from the smith for a break installation and the recoil reduction is amazing. There is no way I would want to accidentally fire it without ear protection as it is extremely loud.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Here are some pics of Palma match shooters in their jackets.
Palma match is a match shot prone with a sling and iron sighted rifle at distances out to 900 meters ( or 1,000 yards)
some matches allow the .223 but most the 308 only
This shooter is from the UK, David Luckman
The X ring on that target is 5" BTW

This is Gil Boa, one of Canada's greatest shooters and one of the best in the World when he was at thee top of his game.
This is a very old picture but the type of jacket he is wearing works well-- it was made by Ten-X and was the standard of the industry for years
He would have been shooting the 303Brit Lee Enfield in those days.

Here is a group of match shooters on thee line inn New Brunswick

This last one is pf a young U.S. champion, Briana Rachinski, taken off her blog

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-22-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:30 AM
Banned

Nice photos Cat...
Old 04-22-2017, 07:34 AM

Default Fclass

Here is a link to the Canadian Fclass and Palma teams photo gallery
Cat
http://cdnfclassteams.com/gallery/
Old 04-22-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
If you're a shooter and never heard of these before, there's some gaping gaps in your knowledge base.

https://www.tesro.ca/shooting-clothe...ket-basic.html

http://www.chuckhawks.com/past_recoil_pads.htm

There are no absolutes
Old 04-22-2017, 07:44 AM

I have not competed in full bore match shooting for many years now, I just have fun with steel!
That little white dot wwaaay out there at the bottom right of the big bank at 1,000 meters is the target - yes , that is an iron sighted 308!

Here I am shooting at my 600 yard target but because of the light and thhe surrounding ground, the camera doesn't pick it up .

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-22-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:51 AM

I cheat at the jacket idea.

Ball cap on my head gets the quick "snap & fold", then I stuff it under my jacket between shoulder and rifle butt.

The card board beak of the ball cap reduces the recoil alot.

Works good with all rifles, and a big improvement with the magnums.

It spreads out the impact on the shoulder instead of the small rifle butt foot print.

Trick is getting ball cap top stay in place where you need it. I'll post photos on how it works for me.

Quick, fast and frugal trick form the old timers.

Don
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Banned

I suffer from Tinnitus, but since I do not use muzzle breaks, I have narrowed it down to all the women that have been screaming at me over the years.

I would never put a muzzle break on my rifle, the noise they make is disturbing and extremely annoying especially at a gun range!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post

Ball cap on my head gets the quick "snap & fold", then I stuff it under my jacket between shoulder and rifle butt.
I am NOT going to roll up my hat and try to stick it between my shoulder and rifle - anybody around me would be instantly blinded!
Cat
Old 04-22-2017, 09:01 AM

Does a break actually make the rifle louder or does it just redirect the sound closer to the shooter? Pretty sure the later but have never actually verified it.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Does a break actually make the rifle louder or does it just redirect the sound closer to the shooter? Pretty sure the later but have never actually verified it.
I doubt louder, but it re-directs the concusive portion of the muzzle blast closer to the shooter.
The concusive blast is what can do the irreversible hearing loss.

It's the same concusive blast that will clear the benches on either side of braked rifles. The same concusive blast that feels like a punch in your chest if you get in the wrong position around a braked rifle.

It's a classical example of TINSTAAFL.
All that energy that is recoil has to go someplace to make felt recoil less......

Same as anything.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-22-2017, 11:14 AM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If you're a shooter and never heard of these before, there's some gaping gaps in your knowledge base.

https://www.tesro.ca/shooting-clothe...ket-basic.html

http://www.chuckhawks.com/past_recoil_pads.htm
Yes there are some gaping holes in my knowledge base.

I love shooting but I have never claimed to be particularly good shooter. I have good days and bad days. I celebrate the victories and share the defeats to help other shooters progress in there craft. I try and study everything I can about shooting but there are some huge holes in my knowledge, I know nothing about hand guns, shot guns and semi autos. Many of the things I have learned about shooting can be attributed to fellows like yourself Cat elk 260 roger quert and many others that aren't coming to mind. I am very thankful for this forum.

Last edited by markg; 04-22-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:31 AM

Mark you need to access the APRA website and find out when the Fclass and other sanctioned matches are going on in Calgary range and go check them out .
Cat
Old 04-22-2017, 11:43 AM

Not all brakes are created equal nor do they all operate the same, some are way easier on the shooter vs others, watch the first video, then watch the second.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gms-28...ature=youtu.be

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tScTD6...ature=youtu.be

Insite Arms heathen brake is very effective at keeping the blast away from the shooter and reducing recoil.

As far as methods to help with the felt recoil in the way of pads I've had one of these Browning gel pads for years, it fits into a special pocket built into a Browning hunting shirt and Browning clay shooting vest I have and works pretty good. They also make a harness you can use it with if you don't want to buy the special shirts or vests.

Likely find it cheaper somewhere this was just the first link google brought up.

https://www.amazon.ca/Browning-86743.../dp/B004KLXL4W

Last edited by MrSharp; 04-22-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:47 PM

what kind of scope is on this rifle ?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:34 PM

I have seen the Concussion Deflectors we use at SPFGA swing at least 4" next to a nasty brake.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Default Vortex razor hD II

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs100bert View Post
what kind of scope is on this rifle ?
It's a Razor HD II 4.5x27x56 with a 34 mm tube, reticle is the EBRC 2 in millradians with mil turrets.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Its a 308. Just cant understand why you would sell the rifle if it shoots. If you dont want the brake, unthread it, cap it and carry on. The recoil on a 308 isnt substantial anyway.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:07 PM

Default Yes it is

Thank you for your input

Last edited by markg; 04-22-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Default Hoped

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Mark you need to access the APRA website and find out when the Fclass and other sanctioned matches are going on in Calgary range and go check them out .
Cat
I know the first match is in the first weekend in may. In fact I was thinking of participating in that match with my 6.5x47 Lapua. I will ha e to see how my hearing is doing before I register.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I know the first match is in the first weekend in may. In fact I was thinking of participating in that match with my 6.5x47 Lapua. I will ha e to see how my hearing is doing before I register.
Even if you don't shoot you should go and take a look - the electricity at those things is fantastic and exciting!
Cat
Old 04-22-2017, 05:37 PM

Default Respect

I had another look at that series of photo's you posted Cat. I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who can hit any kind of target at 1000m let alone with iron sights. Amazing.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:17 PM

Default Thats down right practical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post

The card board beak of the ball cap reduces the recoil alot.

Works good with all rifles, and a big improvement with the magnums.

It spreads out the impact on the shoulder instead of the small rifle butt foot print.

Trick is getting ball cap top stay in place where you need it. I'll post photos on how it works for me.

Quick, fast and frugal trick form the old timers.

Don
Thats pretty practical. Magiver would be proud!
Old 04-23-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Its a 308. Just cant understand why you would sell the rifle if it shoots. If you dont want the brake, unthread it, cap it and carry on. The recoil on a 308 isnt substantial anyway.
Absorbing the recoil from 30 to 50 rounds in a day of target shooting will have an effect on anyone's shooting. That is one of the reasons why the lighter calibre guns hold almost all of the BR records for 600 yards and under. If the OP is going to basically shoot paper to 2 or 300 yards then a 223, 17 FB or 20 Vartarg will serve the purpose every bit as well and have virtually no kick.If he is going to shoot to 600, the 6 BR works great and kicks less than half as much as a 308. Personally I like guns with big womp, but because I hunt with them. For punching paper I shoot a lot more 22 RF, 17 FB, 223 and 7-08 than I do my 375. No point in getting the crap kicked out of you just to make holes at 300 yards.

This sport is supposed to be fun, not an endurance test or he man activity. Try growing up a little, kick does not affect everyone the same way, and there are people with neck and back problems that just can't absorb heavy recoil. No reason they have to quit enjoying shooting.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:36 AM

Default Thanks

If I don't get the price I am looking for That is exactly what I will do. Thank you for the suggestion. I just had a 6.5x47 built but it would be fun to have a 6BR as well
Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 AM

There are different muzzle breaks that are designed to not make the concussion louder for the shooter. I have had a few guns with breaks. One was a standard model on a 7mm STW. I had to make a quick shot or 2 one year when hunting. Couldn't hear a thing for 2 days, and every year on the hearing test a definite dip on one ear. I had another 7mm wildcat that had the first ports angled outward, and the blast was much reduced. I also had a 338 with a slotted break. The first ports were also angled. It was no different even being on the next bench than a non breaker 30-06. I just picked up a 300 SAUM with a VIAS break. They are supposed to be the quietest break you can get. It has a bunch of holes on the muzzle end to allow the gasses to escape forward also and not push too much out the sides. No idea how it works as I haven't got the stock on it yet. But when I'm done my build it should be under 7 pounds. Will see if the break is needed or not.

I have been around a few rifles that were much more concussion to shoot than most braked rifles... the .50 desert eagle was certainly up there. Short barreled 7x57, and 7mm08. Then most of the 7mm mags with a 24" or less barrel tend to have a punch in the nose type blast.