Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2019, 08:50 PM

Default “Pure Bred Pups”

Always been a dog owner, for either hunting or having them for around the farm. I’m not looking for a new pup at the moment, but locally I’ve noticed a lot of ads for “purebred” litters where “the mom is papered” or vise versa, and the pups have no papers and they are still asking $1000+ per pup and they even want a deposit.

Is that the new normal? I’ve never had (as an adult) a purebred dog, their health issues don’t interest me, but am I out to lunch here? I don’t see how people can demand those prices, or are there people willing to buy them just because the ad said “purebred”?

Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2019, 09:00 PM

It is an increasingly common problem. People will get a papered bitch, breed it to the first male that comes along, and sell the pups in an attempt to make money. No checks on the pedigree, no testing, no nothing. Save yourself future trouble, and go to a reputable breeder, who has taken the time to carefully choose a stud, who knows their breed's past and cares about its future, and who has the support of an organization like the CKC or a breed club for their program, as evidenced by proper papering.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-18-2019, 09:14 PM

Not uncommon to see $800 to $1,000 for a cross breed, let alone a "pure bred". Not sure why, but the price of dogs seems to have skyrocketed in the last few decades.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:51 PM

By actual law ( the animal pedigree act) It is illegal to see a "pure breed " dog without registration papers does not matter if the parents are papered or not
Best Answer: It is "illegal" to sell unregistered dogs AS purebred in Canada.
Basically, if they have no papers the breeder cannot say they are "purebred" Labs.

"Prohibitions
64. No person shall

(g) knowingly offer to sell, contract to sell or sell any animal in a manner that is likely to create an erroneous impression that the animal is registered or eligible to be registered;

(h)offer to sell, contract to sell or sell, as a purebred of a breed, any animal that is not registered or eligible to be registered as a purebred by the association authorized to register animals of that breed or by the Corporation; "

Animal Pedigree Act:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/...

From what I am gathering, there are technically fines up to $50,000 and imprisonment, HOWEVER this is enforced by the RCMP, and typically unless there is actually being harm done (such as in the case of meat sales) nothing will really get done if you do choose to report.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post
By actual law ( the animal pedigree act) It is illegal to see a "pure breed " dog without registration papers does not matter if the parents are papered or not
Best Answer: It is "illegal" to sell unregistered dogs AS purebred in Canada.
Basically, if they have no papers the breeder cannot say they are "purebred" Labs.

"Prohibitions
64. No person shall

(g) knowingly offer to sell, contract to sell or sell any animal in a manner that is likely to create an erroneous impression that the animal is registered or eligible to be registered;

(h)offer to sell, contract to sell or sell, as a purebred of a breed, any animal that is not registered or eligible to be registered as a purebred by the association authorized to register animals of that breed or by the Corporation; "

Animal Pedigree Act:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/...

From what I am gathering, there are technically fines up to $50,000 and imprisonment, HOWEVER this is enforced by the RCMP, and typically unless there is actually being harm done (such as in the case of meat sales) nothing will really get done if you do choose to report.

Great information!

Rescue dogs are often a good choice!

BW
Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 AM

My neighbour was bragging about the great deal he got on a non papered "Purebred" Cocker Spaniel from Rocky Mountain House.

Two years later pretty clear to everyone but him that his dog bears little resemblance to a Cocker.About 45lbs and looks like a Airedale screwed a Foot Stool.
But he is adamant

Keeps asking me why my Cocker pup is so small
Old 05-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Most CKC or AKC registered pure-bred puppies, regardless of breed, start around $2000 for "No Breeding Rights".
Usually double the price if you don't want to be forced to neuter/spay your registered dog...
There's a lot of red-tape, and you have to deal with some wacky people (the breeder) sometimes.
I won't waste my time with it, just make sure the dog you buy is the dog you want. Do your research, and save yourself the $ and headaches.

Just bought this lil' fella in Dec... Paid $1000 (no papers), vs $2500 (papers w/non-breeding clause). Pretty sure he's "pure-bred".

Old 05-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Default Yup papered purebred dogs are expensive

That is because the wacky breeder usually trialed his or her dog at great expense to get the titles. Had all kinds of very expensive xrays and genetic testing done to ensure the dog is not a carrier of specific problems we are trying to breed out of the breed. Being registered with proof of geneology also enables us to realistically predict the dog is suitable for the purpose as well as show the accomplishments of his parents grand parents etc often 5 generations back to show they are also accomplished and trainable. You might get lucky and buy an unpapered dog that works out for you but right off the bat it cant be registered nor can any offspring it produces so if it turns into superdog you still cant retroactively go back and register this wonder dog to ensure you are producing more wonder dogs from this gene pool. Mutts are available and need
forever homes as much as any dog and will suit the purpose of many people. Buying a "purebred" without papers is just a cheaper route and seperates a lot of good people (especially new uneducated buyers who dont know what questions to ask) from their money because they dont know any better.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:09 PM

Even mutts are pricey these days. Adopting one from a "Rescue" will set you back a couple of hundred bucks. Think, under the animal pedigree act you can't sell an animal as purebred, unless you can supply documentation.

Grizz
Old 05-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Most CKC or AKC registered pure-bred puppies, regardless of breed, start around $2000 for "No Breeding Rights".
Usually double the price if you don't want to be forced to neuter/spay your registered dog...
There's a lot of red-tape, and you have to deal with some wacky people (the breeder) sometimes.
I won't waste my time with it, just make sure the dog you buy is the dog you want. Do your research, and save yourself the $ and headaches.

Just bought this lil' fella in Dec... Paid $1000 (no papers), vs $2500 (papers w/non-breeding clause). Pretty sure he's "pure-bred".

Pretty sure you bought a good looking dog.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:21 PM

If you think the cost of the puppy is a big thing, you're in for a big surprise.
A relation of mine paid more for a cock-a-doodle-doo (A PURE BRED one at that - what ever the F that means) than I paid for a nice lab out of an NFC stud dog.
Once you get to the annual maintenance, the flea & tick meds, and any injuries etc (if you hunt 'em you'll get 'em) the cost of the puppies pales in comparison.
If you're looking for a working dog, look for a breeder who has titles to back them up. It'll be cheaper in the long run.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:50 PM

You guys raise some good points. Definitely some considerations to take into account.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
If you think the cost of the puppy is a big thing, you're in for a big surprise.
A relation of mine paid more for a cock-a-doodle-doo (A PURE BRED one at that - what ever the F that means) than I paid for a nice lab out of an NFC stud dog.
Once you get to the annual maintenance, the flea & tick meds, and any injuries etc (if you hunt 'em you'll get 'em) the cost of the puppies pales in comparison.
If you're looking for a working dog, look for a breeder who has titles to back them up. It'll be cheaper in the long run.
Any kind of a doodle is a mutt plus. Sorry to those of you that might have them. My daughter is a dog trainer. Doodles are the worst behaved and most inconsistent "breeds" that they see. Not to mention if you don't brush them every day it means a shave at the groomers. Their coats can be unreal, matted, uselessness. Just my (and hers) opinion of course. Some are really cute but...…….
Old 05-19-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Two years later pretty clear to everyone but him that his dog bears little resemblance to a Cocker.About 45lbs and looks like a Airedale screwed a Foot Stool.
Okay, that made me laugh pretty hard.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 05-19-2019, 07:18 PM

If you want a family pet, buy what you want or adopt a rescue, but if you are going to invest a great deal of time, effort , and money training a dog as a hunting dog, it only makes sense to choose a dog from proven blood lines from a reputable breeder. The initial cost is only a small fraction of what you invest over the life of a hunting dog, in food, inoculations, crates, electronic collar,birds to train the dog, other training supplies, and fuel to drive to and from training and hunting. A friend and hunting partner purchased a trained dog from questionable bloodlines, and it ended up as a family pet, after it turned out lacking the natural abilities and temperament that he desired. He supposedly got a good deal on a trained dog ,but it was no bargain.